Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v battery hold down bracket and stuff
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: 12v battery hold down bracket and stuff Reply with quote

I have a '66 that has been converted to 12v. Does anyone make a 12v battery that fits in the stock hold down bracket? I'm tired of the battery just sitting there sliding around. What was the stock 6v setup in terms of battery size, bracket and cover? I'm basically trying to retrofit a 12v battery to what's already there.

Thanks in advance.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they really don't make a 12V in the 6V size. The 6V had that cover on it that strapped down, 12V did not. Later 12V had a "ledge" welded to the floor to hold one side of the battery and a clamp down that bolted to the floor on the other. I've come to just live with the battery being a bit loose in there. I do put a battery mat under it though!

This is what it looked like in 66 and 67:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And this is a 1970s description of removing a 12V battery:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_n_slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries have standard dimensions (group size) as prescribed by BCI (Batt Council).

You can find them here:

http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html

My old 912 had a pretty small 12v up front (factory), you'll have to look up the group size.

Jeff
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most use a PT Crusier battery when going to 12 volts. measure your 12volt and i will check and see if you can use a 1963-1966 bus metal cover and strap on it. on my 65 bus i used a 63 beetle strap with no cover to hold my battery in place. have you tried using your 66 beetle strap and no metal cover yet? - you can loosen the nut on rear of strap and adjust length that way so you can tighten the strap. Shocked

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My existing battery is 9.25" long, 6.5" tall and 6.5" wide. I definitely can't go taller. Bill May, what's the dimensions of that cover you have? Is the PT Cruiser battery really what people are using?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: