Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater fan stopped working/blowing fuses
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheeseisgood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Heater fan stopped working/blowing fuses Reply with quote

So my fan would not work yesterday morning. I changed the burnt fuse, but when I turn it on nothing happens except the fuse blows if I leave it on. It worked fine the day before other than the chirping that has been there since I got the van. Are there any relays or easily accessible things to check or do I need to pull the dash and check the blower?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losts of good articles on the blower motor. Here are two. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386923 and http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=395661

If you can't solve it, then yes, the dash will need to come out. Plan on replacing the heater core at the same time.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's most likely a bad blower motor. However, make sure to use a 20A fuse. Some use 15A (even Bentley makes this mistake, 97.102, cf 97.116) and they will blow whatever state your motor is in.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's shot, change it before you melt you fuse box, and Ignition switch.
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassyaks x2

Mine was shot, before I could change it, a traveling friend turned on the fan for heat while I was in 7/11 getting coffee. When I came out with my coffee, my friend was out of the van and smoke was rolling out of the heater vents. Got it turned off in time, no other damage, thankfully. Changed out the blower motor the next weekend!
Multimann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same happened to my blower motor this week after a history of squeaking. Now the fuse blows and I guess I need to replace the blower motor.
Does this motor happen to be the same motor as the one under the rear bench? I'm asking because I have removed the whole heater unit - perhaps I can reuse the motor for the front heater unit. Thanks
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the dash fan is different than the rear under seat heater fan. The good news is that the dash fan is a common VW part used in many years and models so they don't cost that much to replace. The 86+ passenger vans with A/C have the same fan in the rear ceiling A/C unit. The wire ends vary slightly at times but the fan assemblies interchange pretty easily anyway.

Mark

Multimann wrote:
Same happened to my blower motor this week after a history of squeaking. Now the fuse blows and I guess I need to replace the blower motor.
Does this motor happen to be the same motor as the one under the rear bench? I'm asking because I have removed the whole heater unit - perhaps I can reuse the motor for the front heater unit. Thanks
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW - my fan would not run & and would blow the fuse if I turned the switch to '1' or '2'. If I flipped it directly to '3' it would start & run and continue to run even if I lowered it to '1'.

I reasoned that it was seized -- but not by much.

Did the 'Mullendore Port' treatment noted in the above links and now it works fine at all speeds.

Not a fix for a blower that is well & truly knackered, but if it is just a bit bound up (and the problem is the rear bearing) that M-Port might spare you some owrk now and let you address it sometime in the future, perhaps when the dash is out for something else (or perhaps never).
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My blower does not work. After plodding thru the two mentionned links, I think I'll wait until I take the dash apart. Currently run a 2 speed 12 V fan across the windshield.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced mine. It really wasn't that hard. I just used the Bentley and Ben's web site. There is one diagram (in the Bentley)that says to remove screws above the glove compartment and I simply could not find the screws it was referring to.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: