Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

insurance on restored 1978 Westfalia
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmmcdonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: insurance on restored 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

How do you all insure your buses?

I am about to have my 1978 CEII Westfalia restored, and I need to consider insurance. Our existing policy is standard for an old car, but I am sure that the insurance company would give me practically nothing if the car got wrecked.

On the other hand, there is collector car insurance. It is very inexpensive, will insure for whatever value we agree upon, but places restrictions on the use of the vehicle (e.g. no racing competition (!), pleasure driving only (no commuting), can't serve as a second vehicle, no trips to the mall/large parking lots. I can't even drive it to the grocery.)

Any advice?

thanks

Keith
afhusband
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my *nice* bus appraised by my insurance company @ $20k!! (I almost "wanted" to get hit!)
It was not collectors or classic ins. though. Those had some pretty strict mileage limits.
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my older VWs insured thru Safeco as antique cars with stated values that I gave them.. I think my 77 Westy comes out to a little over $300/year with a value of about $7K.. My 1970 GMC pickup has no stated value on the antique policy and its a whopping $56/yr.. I have not had any claims with them so far so I cannot say if they will try and screw me or not. Past experience with insurance companies in general says they will.. In the meantime at least I am saving money compared to my previous company.. I could not abide by the rules that a lot of the "collector" insurance companies have unless I acted like everyday was a parade.. Laissez les bon temps roulez!

Last edited by kevin77westy on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mooncalf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not specific to buses, but last year I insured my 71 Super through my regular insurance company as an antique. I had to get an appraisal and give them some photos, but it went pretty well...and there aren't really any strict rules on what I can and can't do. Basically, all it says is "Limited use antique/classic." My agent said this adds up to stuff like driving it to shows and "reasonable" pleasure drives (which is all I had time for last year). No set mileage limits or anything like that, I think it runs me about $90/year with an appraised value of $8K (liability + collision/comp w/ $250 deductible). If it became a daily-driver type car, I'd insure it as such, provided they accepted the appraisal value (I'd also have to switch it out of antique registration).

The bus is nowhere near driveable, so I haven't discussed it with them yet...I'm hoping it's not one of those "We'll only insure your Westy if you don't camp in it" deals.
73 Kombi (Long Gone)
73 Super (The bug that got away)
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied at Havertys, the rates were great but I could not meet the requirements. If you can garage the bus, check them out.
MalibuLX3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
I applied at Havertys, the rates were great but I could not meet the requirements. If you can garage the bus, check them out.

Do you mean Hagerty? Right now I just insure my '78 Westfalia with Progressive RV insurance during the summer. They have been fine, but I haven't had a reason to deal with then besides writing that check every month so far. Hope to keep it that way!
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very careful with the collector's insurance agencies (Hagerty's, ACI, etc)... they generally will only cover driving the vehicle for short pleasure rides, to & from car shows, and that's about it. Camping is verboten & if you were to have your bus insured as a collector car and then have an accident while out on a camping trip you may find your policy voided. My advice is be honest with the insurer about how you intend to use your bus, so that if you ever need their coverage they will have no reason to deny it.

yuthi'so'coro
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone checked on Good Sam's insurance for a baywindow camper? They insure some huge, expensive motorhomes; wouldn't think they'd have a problem with a stated value policy for a restored Westy.
68 Westy
(+ others)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are with USAA. We have it currently insured adequately under a collector's policy. At some point when we start using it for camping etc, we will need to move it to our regular USAA policy so the premiums will go up, probably triple. However they assure us that as long as we can document that the value we specified in the policy is what we really put into it to restore it (and we can), they will insure it for same. Right now we only use it for pleasure drives etc and if we stop to eat etc it is never out of out sight or reach. Many times I wish they still made bays for the North American market so we could just use it and not worry about parts or insurance and theft etc.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with USAA too; I've heard nothing but great things about them and hope that with all my receipts I would be fully covered in the event of a crash... I use my Bus for work, camping, fishing and shows. No collector's insurance here!

And I agree with the idea of being honest to the insurance company about how you use the Bus. You're doing us all a favor.
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Family here.. 178 a year... I do have antique plates, but its the state that says only 1000 personal miles a year, but unlimited mileage to shows and what not... I have had my agent since 94. I think that helps, he handled my bike wreck and I did ok, they handled a person who got bit by my renters dog, I never even went to court on that one...

Dont lie though... Like said before, just tell 'em what you want, even drive it to them (or they will come to you) so they can take the pix.

Multiple policy discounts help too...
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you mean Hagerty?

Yes Embarassed

I had correspondence with a Hagerty rep. They encouraged driving the bus, just not as a daily driver. I have a DD but not a garage to keep the bus in.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my 1971 bus insured through USAA (Collectors) insurance for about $7000 and the premium was about $75/year. We had an accident and they paid about $3000 for the repair with no deductable. It was the other guys fault so hopefully they were paid back by the other insurance company. So, yes... you can get insurance this way and it does work but just be sure to get your story straight when you have to talk with the adjuster. If it's a daily driver don't do it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: insurance on restored 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Bringing back an old thread.

Last year I purchased a very nice 1971 bus for $10K

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since then I've been pouring more money into it including most recently having the top painted and new window seals plus a new engine going in soon.

The value of my bus right now is pretty close to $20K and I want to make sure it's adequately insured. USAA is my provider (38 years) and I'd like to keep this vehicle with them but after talking to the girl just now, it seems like she doesn't really know what to do. I think an appraisal would be good to get but I kind of expect them to ask for one or some other way to establish value.

We've all read many stories here about guys smashing up their buses and insurance companies trying to bone them. I don't want that to be me. Collectors Insurance is not an option because I don't keep it garaged and I like driving it more than just to car shows. So the frustrating part is that just when the girl was going to find out what to do the call dropped and she didn't call me back.

Does anyone have USAA on their bus that can help me?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: insurance on restored 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Gary, sent you a PM

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: insurance on restored 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

AGREED value policy. you will need collectors insurance to make sure you are covered. my camper, deluxe and s/c are with grundy and all 3 are over 100K for about 900/year.

when I just had the camper it was pretty cheap...iirc it was at 25K

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: insurance on restored 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

I went round and round with all of the different collector insurance places.

Watch out if you are a camper owner.
Back when I was shopping for my Westy, a lot of them would avoid what some consider an "RV".

other didn't insure vans, no matter what.

I had to have a real car insured as my daily driver,
And prove that the bus was kept inside,
Plus send them pics and fill out a lot of detailed paperwork.
Something like 5K miles per year or less.. But IIRC, they never verified the mileage.

Was able to insure my Oval, Fastback, and bus through them for proper amounts and very cheap.

Haven't had to put the policy to any real tests yet (knock knock)
But so far I have been happy with what they had to say, and how it all worked.

https://americancollectors.com

What’s That Noise?!?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: insurance on restored 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Most cars on the road are worth way more than my bus. I just want to fight the battle now instead of if or when I make a claim. Collectors insurance would be great if I only drove to car shows, but I dont
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: insurance on restored 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

as long as it isn't a 'daily' and you have a 'real car' for that you'll be fine with grundy.

I can even camp in my camper too. it WILL have to be garaged, and they will Zillow your address

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ksprague
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: insurance on restored 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

We just shopped around and ended up with Haggerty's as well. It seemed like all the other companies we talked to farmed it out to them anyway, so we went direct. It's very inexpensive. Our agent told us that camping was restricted, but they did allow one or two camping trips per year. (Which sounded really weird to us )

The challenge, as I see it - is really determining what the value should be. You get to pick it, but Too high and the premiums are up there - too low and of course they'd total it over a fender bender.

"The bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began."
~ Bob Weir
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: