Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is a good fuel injector cleaner that actually works?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, an Italian tune up with a can of 44K in the tank will get things nice and hot and hopefully burn some carbon off the valves. This also allows better cleaning of the injectors at full flow. All out cruising in 4th gear has always worked for me (my speedo only goes up to 85mph). 4 Polish beers afterwards are also recommended, but definitely not before. Your average Polski brew has twice the alcohol content of most common beers.
Ken J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deprivation wrote:
The Italian Tuneup is basically driving the shit out of your engine for a short period of time. Get the engine hot and take it out on the freeway in second gear. Supposedly this gets everything so hot and bothered that deposits and other fouling will burn off your valves and combustion chamber surfaces.

There's probably more to it than this, but that's the idea.

I inadvertently did an Italian tune-up a few years ago entering a freeway in San Diego. I had one of my favorite CDs blasting, got into 3rd gear and forgot to shift into 4th. Didn't hear the engine screaming because of the loud music. My mechanic said the engine was extremely clean when he had it apart for the rebuild. Those Italian tune-ups can be pretty expensive. Laughing

www.BullysPulleys.com
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanic THINKS the injectors are clogged, and expects you to deal with it? He didn't do the simple Bentley test? It seems to me one of the things we pay mechs for is diagnosis, not, "hmm, maybe it's the injectors." YMMV but that's MHO.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At close to $100 a hr. for labor I would try a can of cleaner too. For the cost of 1 hr labor you could try the cleaner, go buy a bently and do the test yourself and still have some change for a beer at the bar left over.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but you don't need a mech for that. I'd try FI cleaner first, too. Before I took it to a garage.
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya it sucks that I took it in before I did the cleaner. I went to oreillys and I put Valvoline and Lucas in. I will try both of these first and see what it does. When I took it the other day to smog the guy probed it first without charging me. It was still just a little rich and he is pissed that the shop didn't get it down. He told me to take it back to them. He was mad that you can tell the idle isn't right and they are not addressing that. He suggested that I go to Joe's Buggy Haus in Grover Beach. I have gotton some parts from him so I took it over there and he didn't look at the van but want to see the smog numbers. Joe is a really cool guy. I didn't bring it there in the first place because he doesn't have a sniffer ow machine. But he really knows these vans. To him it looks like a injector issue. Possibly one not spraying good which could be causing the erratic idle. I think he may be right because that is the only thing I didn't check. I briefly looked it over in the Bentley and the test seems a little confusing. So I am going to try the cleaner first and then look over how to perform the test and try that if the cleaner doesn't work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it occurred to anyone that fuel additives, left in the system for long periods, are a contributor to the vent tubing/system failures?

I wonder if it makes sense to do it only at the start of a big trip or full-tank run, so you don't leave that stuff in your fuel lines too long.

Just an idea. Might be difficult when your intent is to clear things up PRIOR to a big trip.

The reason I came to this idea is because my brother doses his van often, and all his NEW fuel tank vent hoses (from Rieby's) cracked and fell apart after 3 years.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
The reason I came to this idea is because my brother doses his van often, and all his NEW fuel tank vent hoses (from Rieby's) cracked and fell apart after 3 years.

A lot of standard fuel line is and has been crap for a long time. Anymore it just use the lined FI hose or teflon AN hose for most of my aux hose needs. I haven't used it but I would think the fire resistant marine hose might be a good choice as well.
n2wheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What is some good fuel injector cleaner that actually works? Reply with quote

italian tune up. can one charge for that? could be a small shop, by the on ramp...

Cool
'78 scirocco
'66 T2 panel dead tour vehicle, 'mr bus'
'67 13 window
'95 eurocamper 'charlie' (phish tour vehicle)
'03 Mk4 TDI 'steve'
'04 W8 Phaeton 'david'
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris garrett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What is some good fuel injector cleaner that actually works? Reply with quote

I have never believed that fuel injector cleaners were worth a damn. Google it and you'll find a lot of testing that says I'm right.
Here's one I just found:

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/impp-1106-fuel-system-cleaners/

Professional cleaning and servicing is the only way to go.
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: What is some good fuel injector cleaner that actually works? Reply with quote

Honestly, if you want to do it right and get real before and after results showing the improvement, get them out of the van and into a fuel injector cleaning service. I did mine in conjunction with a fuel line upgrade.

I found one online in the local Tampa area. Mailed the injectors in a small box, picked them up a week later on my way back from Orlando.

Bright and shiny, with a page of data showing flow rates before and flow rates after. No guessing about additives working or not. You would be surprised at the difference. $75 bucks one time.

Mark
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: What is some good fuel injector cleaner that actually works? Reply with quote

chris garrett wrote:
I have never believed that fuel injector cleaners were worth a damn. Google it and you'll find a lot of testing that says I'm right.
Here's one I just found:

Do you really think that RC is going to say that injector cleaners are ok [and loose business]? Do you really believe that they used a cleaner that would worked? That is one very biased test.

I too am leery about any snake oils. I can only say many customers who had fuel issues seemed to come back and say their problems are gone with the use of BG. As expensive as we were selling that stuff in the past, they sold it based on past customers experience. Even one service advisor would credit the cost if it did not fix the problem.
chris garrett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What is some good fuel injector cleaner that actually works? Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
chris garrett wrote:
Here's one I just found:

Do you really think that RC is going to say that injector cleaners are ok [and loose business]? Do you really believe that they used a cleaner that would worked? That is one very biased test.

I too am leery about any snake oils. I can only say many customers who had fuel issues seemed to come back and say their problems are gone with the use of BG. As expensive as we were selling that stuff in the past, they sold it based on past customers experience. Even one service advisor would credit the cost if it did not fix the problem.

Find one unbiased study that proves that fuel injector cleaners work. Going on the basis of guys "thinking" their car is running better just doesn't cut it. It's like SeaFoam and all the other "pour it in and your car is fixed". If fixes in a bottle really worked, all of the studies would say so. It shouldn't be a matter of opinion; it should be something that is proven and obvious.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What is a good fuel injector cleaner that actually works? Reply with quote

I agree. That is why I'm not a fan of snake oils.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: What is a good fuel injector cleaner that actually works? Reply with quote

I don't really deal with gasoline engines, but for diesel fuel injectors, Lubro Moly Diesel Purge absolutely makes a significant noticeable difference. There is absolutely no doubt that it works.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a good fuel injector cleaner that actually works? Reply with quote

I'm certainly not a guru by any means, but I have come across about two on the internets... Wink

Any VW engine advice from tencent life a/k/a Chris Corkins I take to be gospel truth, the best possible
based on his considerable education and experience, at the time of it's posting at the very least.

Having said that, FWIW and at the risk of being accused of parroting:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278577&start=0

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a good fuel injector cleaner that actually works? Reply with quote

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-11-26/...tive-it-is
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a good fuel injector cleaner that actually works? Reply with quote

'Both Volvo and Mercedes-Benz have issued factory service bulletins advising the use of concentrated Chevron Techron in repair procedures for vehicles with certain mechanical problems.'
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a good fuel injector cleaner that actually works? Reply with quote

I have used BG-44K, Techron, MMO and SeaFoam in Winston's gas, as well as buying his fuel from Top Tier stations.

All I can say is that when I did finally pull Winston's injectors to install his metal fuel lines, they WERE SPOTLESS. And I had never had them cleaned or rebuilt. Old mechanics and people I greatly respect suggested all those additives, the MMO also for top-end lubrication.

They appear to have worked.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a good fuel injector cleaner that actually works? Reply with quote

This is a tough thread to get resolution on, but I agree the best solution is to avoid getting deposits by using quality fuel such as Chevron. I use it whenever I can and completely ignore pricing when its one of the choices while on a road trip. I have also used Techron in the bottle as our research showed it worked decades ago.

One comment is that you will get the best bang for the buck NOT using Techron during a road trip but around town before you go. One aspect of its cleaning is cylinder deposits, where upon shutdown it soaks into carbon deposits on valves and pistons. Upon startup, the deposits are now flammable for a bit and they are burnt off by this startup/shutdown process. So agree with others this works.

I have also had good luck with the SeaFoam product in extreme problems (bad varnish from old gas).

I have also used the BG products but not enough to form an opinion.

As a cautionary tale, I think I turned my mitsubishi van into an oil consuming engine by aggressive use of the SeaFoam. I got the engine running but not real well. I put a max allowable concentration in the fuel and it ran like a champ but then started to burn oil. I think it loosen SO much crud in the cylinder that a lot of the chunks got into the rings and they are not properly flaring upon combustion. Possible chunks in the oil control ring lands as well. Who knows? I may do it again expecting different results to see if it really is insanity....
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: