Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chainsaws
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubledoor64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Chainsaws Reply with quote

Getting a new house (mine finally sold). It's got some trees I need to cut down, as well as 2 fireplaces (one wood burning insert) that I will use to help heat the main level. So I will be cutting my own firewood. Does anyone have any recomendations on a saw? Brand? bar size? right now I am looking at a Stihl 18" 45cc and a 18" 38cc Husky. I want to buy one saw and have it last, post your thoughts, recomendations, and stories
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaiser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i have seen and heard husky's last longer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got two Huskys.....a 55 rancher and an older 60cc model 55 has an 18 inch bar and the 60 has a 16. The 60 I have had for about 22 years....the 55 about 6. I will take the 60 anyday over the newer 55. much more power....that thing eats through trees, although there is really nothing wrong with the 55 if it was your only saw. very happy with them.

Last edited by 58Dub on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a 55 rancher with an 18" bar for about 5 years now and put it through hell. Before that I purchased a cahin saw from sears and managed to burn it up in a couple of days cutting mesquite.
Only problems with the Husky were of my own making by hitting the dirt, replaced two chains. The forest service uses Stihls and I've heard from a friend that they are just as good. Either way you can't go wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seanboy69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: chainsaws Reply with quote

Hey I have been cutting wood for years. I have a large woodburner as our only source of heat. And here in PA it gets cold!!!! I have had many different saws in the past. BUT the best one is a Stihl farm boss. It has a 20 inch bar. I had a Huskey an HATED it. Trust me you will never cut as much wood as I have.....lol
1962 baha
2276 in progress
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are good running long lasting saws...

Husky:plastic body and components,has to be handled like a sports car

Stihl : hardcore body rugged saw...pickup truck style

Huskys are lighter than Stihls,which makes a difference on along day and if your mindful of your equipment it will standup in the woods...if yer a tool thrower,buy a stihl...
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW up in Canada at the cabin its a Stihl, leave it up there and only use it for a week or two a year, always starts, always runs great.

At the rental center I used to own we bought a bunch of Husqvarna, and for rental they were junk. we switched over to Stihl, no problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in the Forest Service for a couple of years. Stihl and Husqvarna were the 2 brands used. On my patrol rig I had a Husky. It rocked. Always started, ran strong. On the engine we had some Stihls and some Huskys.

If I was to buy another saw it would be a Stihl 044 with a 24" blade (i think they call it a 441 nowadays). The 044 (about 70cc) seems the right amount of power to cut through 2 and 3 foot logs but yet light enough to carry around for 8 hours a day. If I was just doing a couple of cords of wood a year and trimming trees then I may go with a smaller saw like a 300 series.

What you don't want is an underpowered saw. You also don't want a saw that is too big and heavy. And underpowered saw will tired you out because you'll have to sit and grind away at things for a long time, not enough power to cut through the big logs. But get a saw too big and you'll have an unweildly machine with a huge head that will tire out your arms. I loved our 066 that we used for cutting down big arse trees, but it was heavy, not good for brush work or cutting line. Don't get me started on the 088, it'd cut through china but was heavier than an elephant.

Either Husqvarna or Stihl will work. Both are great saws. Keep it lubricated, keep it clean, and keep it sharp. Take time to learn how to hand sharpen a chain. A sharp chain will increase your cutting power 10X. Even the best saw with a dull chain can't cut worth crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a spare chain too.. Oregon is a good one...and dont forget to turn your bar over once in a while..
Madtat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a "SERIOUS" investment you can' go wrong with ECHO. Theese chainsaws are certified to the highest level (Professional Use and not occasional use) I suggest the CS 330 MX4 - 32.6cc's!!! 14 inch bar, now around $350.00
Like a hot knife through butter.......or anything else.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madtat wrote:
For a "SERIOUS" investment you can' go wrong with ECHO. Theese chainsaws are certified to the highest level (Professional Use and not occasional use) I suggest the CS 330 MX4 - 32.6cc's!!! 14 inch bar, now around $350.00

Were they tested by Jason?

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Madtat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Madtat wrote:

Were they tested by Jason?

LOL....one never knows does one?
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stihl and a sharp chain. A shitty saw with a sharp chain is going to cut better than a high dollar saw with a dull chain.
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECHO

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don't get a small bar. Those tiny chainsaws are really dangerous.

Make sure you use some safety equipment. A shield for your face, ear plugs and some Kevlar chaps are a good idea.

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a Husqvarna 257 for the last 15 years or so, before that I had a Sachs Dolmar (sp?) for about 10 years.

I cut a bunch of wood every year..........

Thats over 20 cord ^^^^^

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
I've used a Husqvarna 257 for the last 15 years or so, before that I had a Sachs Dolmar (sp?) for about 10 years.

Thats over 20 cord ^^^^^

You either have a log splitter or are one bad ass mofo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doubledoor64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
crukab wrote:

Thats over 20 cord ^^^^^

now that's funny
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Faustuss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer Husqvarna's are much lower quality than their aged predecessors. A company training rep told me early last year that it was a price point, that they were being made cheaper and sold cheaper to be a midway between the echo's and stihl's, and the products in the Craftsman/Homelite category. That being said if you can get an old used Husqvarna then go for it, those ones are great. Also bear in mind that Poulon is owned by Husqvarna, and the two saw types are fast becoming indistinguishable. They even share parts these days. Poulon by the way is the only (current) source of Craftsman branded saw's, so you can see where Husqvarna is headed.

Stay away from the Craftsman stuff, their current commercial offering (the only worthwhile one) is being discontinued I've been told, though judging by how few of them I have had to repair it must be a decent saw. Don't get any saw made by MTD. Ever. The company is not afraid to discontinue parts despite the law that that says they need to keep making parts for at least 7 years.

Homelite is another middle quality brand, I don't have any major problems with them, they are just more along the lines of Poulon in quality, though getting parts for em can be a pain in the butt.

Stihl and Echo are the better saw's on the market, they haven't had to compromise their quality yet.

As far a saw maintenance is concerned, always always always sharpen your chain. Never run a saw with an even remotely dull chain. A dull chain is probably the second most retarded thing that my customer's send their saw in for, not because they want it sharpened but because they don't know why their saw won't cut.

The single stupidest thing my customers do is use stale fuel. 2 stroke mixed fuel will start to degrade in about a month. It can begin in as little as 2 weeks in some cases. Bad fuel can rot your fuel lines and carburetor, leading to costly repairs and bad words spewed at your local repairman. Stale fuel even if it isn't rotting your fuel line will cause the unit to smoke, or run poorly. You can tell your fuel is bad if it smells like syrup, rotten apples, turpentine or anything other than the gasoline in the fuel tank of your regularly driven automobile. Oh and dump your gas out of the saw when you are done with it. That storage time is when most of the damage occurs. Don't leave it in the sunlight either, especially if it has a clear fuel tank. Sunlight kills gasoline.

Despite having fixed somewhere in the range of 5000+ chainsaw's I haven't seriously cut wood with one since I was a kid so I can't really offer any bar length tips. I think having several sharp chains with you would be a good idea, then you can swap em out easy before the saw has a chance to vapor lock on you. You can sharpen em when you get home.

1967 type 1
faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a old poulon 18" thats still running strong after 15 years only replaced the rope once and this year bought a new bar. I think if you take care of it and now how to use it even a cheap saw will last for someone cutting three or four big trees a year. As far as keeping the chain sharp I keep a file with me and touch it up in the field when needed. One more thing to remember is Never loan your saw to a neighboror anyone else.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
crukab wrote:

Thats over 20 cord ^^^^^

Oh Fuk no, I have a splitter for sure Laughing
Plus :

I buy log length

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: