Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for info on a chopped frameless glass installation.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Looking for info on a chopped frameless glass installation. Reply with quote

I posted this on a couple of DuneBuggy Facebook pages so bear with me if you've already seen this. I'm looking for info on how the frameless glass was attached to the dash, and how the hardtop was attached to the glass. Several suggestions of vulcanized, and/or siliconed in place. Either may be correct but I was hoping to find someone that knew for sure. I know it isn't a style or build that a lot of you may not like and I understand/get that. I have 2 other pics of the interior but a get "general error" when I try to load them, so I only have this one. Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for info on a chopped frameless glass installation. Reply with quote

Got the other 2 to load....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for info on a chopped frameless glass installation. Reply with quote

I did a few searches on Google but I came up with nothing helpful. I even looked in Boats & Hot Rods. I have seen a lot of High Boys with that type of windshield, I wonder if that's the avenue you should be looking. Hot Rod Shops.

But I gotta ask if you got to see this Buggy in person & if you have more pictures?

The interior is what I like most about it. I think it makes way more sense to build the total interior in like this. Its the same idea as a speed Boat. Are you thinking about doing that with your interior?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for info on a chopped frameless glass installation. Reply with quote

I also looked at every possible term I could think of on Google. I haven't seen this in person, and those are the only screenshot pics I have. Someone in the Facebook Manx club posted those on my same question over there.
I have an idea that it is maybe recessed down into the dash and sealed/glued into place with silicone or vulcanizing sealer?? I work at a HotRod shop so I am around Model T's thru late 40's builds, and I know what your referring to as to how roadster windshields are attached with their stantions, but m going for a frameless look. Haven't got the interior planned yet, but the angle chopped top, and frameless chopped windshield is the direction I am persuing.
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for info on a chopped frameless glass installation. Reply with quote

Not sure this will help....but when our company has been in doing larger furniture restoration projects in buildings I've seen large, thick, heavy panels of glass installed very much like this. No visible fasteners at all, and in my opinion, not even a whole lot of "lip" to drop them in. The guys doing the install were using the same polyurethane/butyl black stuff that the guy that's done windshield installs on my kit car uses. It's in a very large caulking style tube that is driven (literally screwed out of the tube) by a cordless drill. He even left me a tube of it one time and said that I could just put the tube in the oven at 300 F. for about 10 minutes to get it to move out of the tube without his special drill/driver. Stuff is incredibly thick and sticks exactly where you put it. Easily hangs upside down in a channel.
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for info on a chopped frameless glass installation. Reply with quote

Yes, thanks that Butyl caulk/sealant is what I was meaning when I said "vulcanize sealant". I'll experiment with it and see, thankyou.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for info on a chopped frameless glass installation. Reply with quote

Did you ever come up with an answer, I still really like the style of this Buggy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: