Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dieselgate Helping Build EV Infrastructure
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Dieselgate Helping Build EV Infrastructure Reply with quote

I was reading an article just now that mentioned that here in Texas, the settlement from Volkswagen over the diesel scandal will be used to help implement EV charging infrastructure.

Here is the link to the article: https://environmenttexas.org/news/txe/report-houston-will-have-65000-electric-cars-2030

And the pertinent quotes:
Quote:

However, funds from the Volkswagen emissions settlement and from the Texas Legislature offer excellent opportunities to pay for new EVs and new charging infrastructure.

Quote:
“Given the rise of the electric automobile, Houston needs to develop a robust charging infrastructure network, which can be funded in part through the Volkswagen settlement and grants from the Texas Emissions Reduction Plan.”

Quote:
On the other hand, the pending distribution in Texas of $209 million from the Volkswagen emissions scandal settlement will help fund EV charging infrastructure and electric buses. In addition, last year the Texas Legislature reauthorized a $2,500 rebate to help Texans buy electric cars.

I also think it is funny that VW has announced that they are switching away from combustion engines and going to all electric.

Article: https://futurism.com/volkswagen-gas-powered-cars-2026

Also, has anyone heard the commercials promoting electric cars and they are sponsored by VW?

Ofcourse, VW being such a large company, they have the power and the money to make huge changes. It's pretty amazing that they have recognized the need for electric cars and I'm sure they will be able to make them the cheapest and most affordable for the end user.

It's a smart move I feel like, overall.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieselgate Helping Build EV Infrastructure Reply with quote

So with gas stations private companies pay for and build the infastructure but with EV the Govt or actually the tax payer has to build the infastructure.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieselgate Helping Build EV Infrastructure Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:
So with gas stations private companies pay for and build the infastructure but with EV the Govt or actually the tax payer has to build the infastructure.

I don't know the specific math but I bet the tax benefits oil companies enjoy cover it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieselgate Helping Build EV Infrastructure Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:

Or, in this case, the government punishes a company by forcing them to build the infrastructure.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieselgate Helping Build EV Infrastructure Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
typ914 wrote:

Or, in this case, the government punishes a company by forcing them to build the infrastructure.

If their lawyers and tax guys are on the ball, no doubt the end result will be some major tax break for VWAG if their lobbyists are doing what they are paid to do and it'll sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread to the consumer. It'll end up no different than those big pharma or the corn ethanol deals to name a few. The taxpayer ends up paying regardless.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieselgate Helping Build EV Infrastructure Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
typ914 wrote:

I can see your point but on the other side I'm all for businesses having to pay for things when they get a huge benefit from it.

For instance when new home developments are "forced" to pay to pay for a neighborhood park as part of building everything.

I guarantee they come out ahead in the end anyway

Last edited by EverettB on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Dieselgate Helping Build EV Infrastructure Reply with quote

Speaking of dieselgate - I just bought a Certified Pre-owned ex-dieselgate 2014 jetta wagon with 28K miles for $10k. They fix the cheater software, modify the exhaust, new brakes and tires, etc. Anyone looking for a good used car, they're practically giving them away.

Here in DC, I've also heard (cannot confirm, but I'm still trying to find articles where it was mentioned) that part of the dieselgate settlement, VW provided funding for the city to set up urban composting program. Kind of like a "carbon offset" tax thing.

What ever settlements were made, it's working to my advantage, cheap new car and free composting. I do realize, the composting funding will run out and I will eventually have to pay the city of DC to take over the composting and the infrastructure that goes along with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dieselgate Helping Build EV Infrastructure Reply with quote

https://jalopnik.com/the-first-of-vws-mass-market-...socialflow

VW's new mass-market EV will be hitting dealers in 2020.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: