Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sleeping bags
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powderedwaters wrote:
Speaking from the great white (green) north, the down comforter is the bees knees, throw in a fleece blanket or two and you'll be in spoon heaven.

While I always use a sleeping bag when camping (I think I have 5 alone for me), I second the down comforter. We have one at home (L.L Bean) and it's just great. A fleece blanket below you perhaps and you will be warm. Dancing
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We replaced our bags recently with a couple of zip together bags from LL Bean. I got two of different warmth so we could taylor it to the temperature (warmer bag on top in winter). I was looking for the lightest smallest rectangular bags I could find with a flannel lining. These are not bad, not quite as warm as they claim but smaller than some and comfortable. The ideal would be something like this in down but I couldnt find anything for a reasonable price.

TC234281 1 Canoe Green Camp Bag Flannel Lined 40F Regular
TC234285 1 Bright Navy Camp Bag Flannel Lined 20F Regular
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending years with the zip together down mummy bags, and later a pair of summer weight synthetic mating mummy bags we splurged and bought this bag this winter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is a Kelty Supernova double bag. The bottom of the bag is synthetic fill, and the top is down. The lining is a flannel-like polyester and I really like the pillow pockets. There is plenty of footroom, and no zipper in the middle! The bag is heavy at about 10lbs, but it does compress pretty small with a compression stuffsack. Retail is $280, but I paid half of that delivered to my door. The e-tailer that I purchased from (sunnysports.com) is currently out of stock on them.

We also picked up one of these:

A Pacific Outdoor Products double-wide 2-1/2" thick self inflating pad. This was an opportunistic score on www.steepandcheap.com for $80. Retail is $200, and I don't think that Pacific Outdoor even makes them anymore. The pad is actually a little too wide by the Westy closet. I'm debating attempting to alter the width and reseal the seam with a very hot iron.

Or, maybe I'll just sleep on it. We're looking forward to many comfortable nights in the Westy this year.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
tangojeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: stuff sack for sleeping bags Reply with quote

Our two zip together sleeping bags have nylon type exterior shells. I inherited a nylon "seabag", very much like the canvas model the USN issued me a long ways back. The sleeping bag(s) easily slide right into it, w/ enough room for two pillows. This sure makes it easy to "make the bed" when its time to break camp and move on down the road.
killertofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: walking bag Reply with quote

Recently just pickup one of these. Super functional and silly. I get to stay warm even durning a middle of the night bathroom run.

madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: walking bag Reply with quote

killertofu wrote:
Recently just pickup one of these. Super functional and silly. I get to stay warm even durning a middle of the night bathroom run.

lol!!! I hope I don't run into you in the middle of the night on your way to the bathroom, I would probably think I'm getting abducted! And please don't ask me to unzip it for you... Laughing

It actually makes a lot of sense. Please report back after some use.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
SpeedoJosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North face Cat's Meow Dancing
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: sleeping bags Reply with quote

Old thread I know.
Bed is always deployed in my Syncro, with a bedspread on top, tucked in around the edges.
A polyfill comforter for use in moderate temps, or Swedish military surplus wool blanket which is stowed under the rear seat.
For cold weather, a Cabela's -20* canvas bag w/ flannel lining, used as a comforter.

In extra-cold conditions below zero, bag is zipped up to keep my toes warm. This has proved satisfactory on several occasions at -22* F. Frost was on the bag, but I was toasty.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: sleeping bags Reply with quote

I've had several of these bags. From those I took up to 20k ft in Bolivia, here in the Cascades, and car camping. Durable, light, and warm - as warm as you want one. https://featheredfriends.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: