Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ritual or traditional food while camping?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Ritual or traditional food while camping? Reply with quote

Ok, it's still only 40 here for a high. So thinking about warmer weather and better times.

Does anyone have a ritual or traditional food or dish they make while camping?

Mine is Jambalaya! Love it, and the crowd that I go camping with love it also, or after 10+ years have kept their mouths shut.

Comfort food is the best!!

What your DISH specialality?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Foils

I like it when you can make things that are totally scruptous ahead of time, and you can just cook it up. Soy Vay chicken rice vegi mess is usually good for me. Another cool thing is that you can cook them (gently) in the firepit, or on the stove.

I also really like to make hashes. You can also cook those up ahead of time and just quick fry all weekend. So like, potatos, garlic, your choice of meaty thing, some cheese and some light veggies, all cut small so they cook quick, and man, that stuff sticks to yer guts.

This will sound pretty ghetto but I like flaked/dried beans as well. You just drop in some hot water and it's all good. That is from my solo days.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fajitas cooked on an outside grill.
I like this one for $5
http://tinyurl.com/ykala5z
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trader Joes carries some Carne Asada and Pollo Asado in sealed packages that travel well and cook up really savory

the cheese and tortillas also work for a quick snack inside

Last edited by Jon_slider on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comfort food?

Cold Mexi beer and cheddar brats.

Brats are a heart attack waiting to happen so they only come out on camping trips.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dokarex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone cook their tinfoils on the engine while driving to your destination? put the foils on the exhaust mani and when you get to the campsite all you have to do is set up camp then dinner or supper is ready.
16ft Freestyle catamaran
16 ft Sunray 85 Horse (sunk)
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people cook turkeys and roasts that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually have a Timmies to start the trip and always stock at least one box of KD.

Translated from Canadian means I like to start off the trip with a cup coffee from Tim Horton's (Canadian coffee chain, kind of like Starbucks but 1/2 the price) and I always keep a box of Macaroni and Cheese in the van. My son loves the stuff. I like to add Reggiano Parmigiana cheese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Ritual Dishes Reply with quote

Toasted Bagels and tea for breakfast...

Microwaved Burritos at least once per weekend.

I should cook more elaborately in Winston, or give my girlfriend, a truly superb cook, a chance to perform her magic in him. I love Jambalaya, for a fact, it just takes a while to simmer and I'm always so busy...

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZimZam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaki soba and sushi. No one cares that I make the sushi with instant rice. Burritos are also an easy to make meal. Wash it down with a Fat Tire, kick back, and watch the evening light show.

"Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
- Steve McQueen
"It's just metal, when rusted and dented , anything you will do will be better. Stop being afraid. What they (VW) did many year ago is not better then what you will do now." -Ben
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for decades, whether its been tent camping, trailer, sailing I like to have home fries (make an extra baked potatoe Sat night), an extra large steak Sat night so some left over for breakie and fresh farm eggs, all done with a grill. That's what I like to have late morning when I'm set up. Don't drink coffee nor tea so sometimes its a cold beer if I'm not travelling, or a cold club soda. That's my tradition for Sunday ams for 20 - 30 years.

When I'm travelling I start early am and quit mid afternoon. I cheat and buy something for breakfast, driving, cooking, cleaning up is just too much for one person. I like to travel with some cold cooked pasta as I like it cold and saves money. But even that takes too much effort for me. So you people with a significant other who pitches in are very fortunate and I envy;.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Food Reply with quote

boy, a subject that I can fully get onboard with...

Last night, in preparation for my upcoming ten day camping trip I cooked: 2 meals worth of duck confit (duck slow cooked in it's own fat then crisped in the bus served with potatoes cooked in duck fat and loads of garlic), 2 meals worth of Bolognaise sauce, 2 meals worth of organic pork ribs dry rubbed and slow cooked... all are vacuum packed and frozen. The ribs can either be thrown on a wood fire for smoky flavor or cooked in a pot of water in the vacuum pack till it falls off the damned bone... I actually cook more elaborately on the road than at home. God, my house smelled soooo good last night!

Here's the confit recipe from an article I wrote recently:

Duck Confit and Breggo’s Ferrington Pinot Noir, in two acts
act one: Wine!

Last night, my wife Lisa and I had the great opportunity to sample a plethora of Breggo’s Anderson Valley Pinot Noirs with our evening meal, Crispy Duck Confit with slow cooked Potatoes showered with golden Garlic chips. I have long felt that Duck Confit is the ultimate new world Pinot Noir food compliment. In their youth, these Pinot Noirs need a fatty rich dish to compliment the tannins, earthiness and ripe fruit flavors. The fortunate part for tonight’s experiment is that we both work at prominent Anderson Valley wineries, and that affords us the ability to sit down with tasting room remnants, one of the many perks of being in the wine industry. Tonight manifested itself in roughly a half bottle each of 2007 Anderson Valley Pinot Noir, 2007 Ferrington Vineyard Pinot Noir and 2007 Donnelley Creek Pinot Noir.
The duck slowly sizzled in a pool of golden duck fat while whiffs of garlic and rosemary danced in a pinot induced euphoria. Dinner was ready when I realized I had been drooling unconsciously and, more importantly, the duck skin was brown and crispy. All three Breggo Pinot Noirs went extremely well with the confit, each displaying their own attributes. The 2007 Anderson Valley Pinot, a blend of both Wiley and Donnelley Creek fruit, provided a nice counter-play to the salty crunchy richness with it’s bright acid and tart cherries. The Donnelley Creek took on even more rich flavors mixed with ripe blackberry and cedar overtones. But the Ferrington Vineyard was hand down the super star of the evening. On it’s own, one tastes beautiful strawberry and spiced notes recalling golden summer days and picnics with a warm breeze blowing. It was a marriage made in heaven, recalling the childhood exuberance knowing that summer vacation was just a few scant hours away or that contented feeling one occasionally experiences deep in your heart that right now, at this exact moment in your life, you are in the perfect spot at the perfect time. Oh the Ferrington just absolutely sang with the duck. Every bite revealed another layer of complexity in the wine. We were almost brought to tears as we took our last forkful, pausing to mark the moment with moroseness usually reserved for funerals of well regarded loved ones.

I highly recommend grabbing a bottle, a loved one and prepare some duck confit at your home. Making confit can be daunting at home because of the length of time to prepare it properly. I suggest doubling or better yet quadrupling the recipe and vacuum packing the remaining legs for future meals. I promise you will be happy you did.

act two: Duck Confit!

Ingredients for Four servings:

4 each Duck Legs
2 Tablespoons Sea Salt, coarse
1/2 Tablespoon Black Pepper, coarse ground
1 bunch Thyme
1 bunch Rosemary
1 each Onion, small, unpeeled, sliced
1 head Garlic, unpeeled, coarsely chopped
1 quart rendered Duck Fat

Directions:

1. Season the duck legs with coarse salt and coarsely ground black pepper.

2. Mix the thyme, rosemary, sliced onion and coarsely chopped garlic. Pack around the duck legs and refrigerate for three days.

3. After the duck has marinated, wash remaining salt off, immerse in duck fat and slow cook at 300 degrees in your oven till the duck meat just barely falls off the bone.

4. Cool immediately and leave in fat. The fat should cover the duck legs, preserving it in it's golden depths. At this point I would consider vacuum packing the duck legs with a little of the fat for future use.

5. Whenever you are ready to eat the confit, remove a duck leg from the fat and put into a pan skin side down. Heat over moderate heat till the skin side is crispy and brown. Flip over, and lightly brown on the other side. Eat!

Chef’s Note:

Boil some fingerling potatoes in lightly salted water with a rosemary spring till they are easy pierced with the tip of a paring knife. Remove from water, cut in half, and drop into hot duck fat. Cook till lightly brown. Drain off excess fat, add four mashed garlic cloves, sea salt and one tablespoon chopped parsley.

about Chef François:

Chef François grew up in a very French household in Chicago. His earliest attempts at cookery began with the filleting of his sister’s goldfish at age two and a braised rabbit dish made with his pet rabbits at age seven. He eventually stopped cooking his pets and went to the highly esteemed New England Culinary Institute before presiding over some of America’s best restaurants and country inns. In 1995, he completed a training with world renowned Joel Robuchon at his Michelin three star restaurant in Paris. His new restaurant Pili Pili was rated in the Top Ten new restaurants in the World by Food and Wine magazine in 2003. He currently works part time for Breggo Cellars in the Anderson Valley.

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Timmies and KD Reply with quote

man that back memories from living in PEI 2 years ago

1989 Westy
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok that's just too much! I want you and your wife's travel route Exclamation Razz I used to be organized for weekends and trips and I suppose I will again. Tell me do you carry candles, nice music and I know you supply the wine. Very very very nice. It's good to hear that so many guys are into the camping cooking thingie.

re KD squeeze the juice out of a tin of tomatoes (drink it of course!) toss it into the KD after you added the cheese. Makes a nice change BUT I don't know that it'll pass muster with kids. Just a thought.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I camp, it is a mixture of Oriental, Mexican and Italian, all very traditional, well at least for us camping. I make chile con pasta, risotto burritos, pork fried rice burritos, Somali spaghetti (spaghetti, with peas and banana in ragu sauce, sounds weird, but is really good, try eating it with your hands). I also carry MRE's in the Van. They keep forever and can be made in a few minutes. They take up little space and are great when your beat from riding and don't feel like cooking. Kind of gives that hiding from the terminator feel to dinner as well.

Cute story about MRE's:
The Marine Dinner Date

I had a date the other night at my place. On the phone the day before, the girl asked me to “Cook her something she’s never had before” for dinner. After many minutes of scratching my head over what to make, I finally settled on something she has DEFINITELY never eaten.

I got out my trusty case of MRE’s. Meal, Ready-to-Eat. Field rations that when eaten in their entirety contain 3000+ calories. Here’s what I made:

I took three of the Ham Slices out of their plastic packets, took out three of the Pork Chops, three packets of Chicken-a-la-King, and eight packets of dehydrated butter noodles and some dehydrated/rehydrated rice. I cooked the Ham Slices and Pork Chops in one pan, sautéed in shaved garlic and olive oil.

In another pot, I blended the Chicken a-la-king, noodles, and rice together to make a sort of mush that looked suspiciously like succotash. I added some spices, and blended everything together in a glass pan that I then cooked in the oven for about 35 minutes at 450 degrees.

When I took it out, it looked like, well, ham slices, pork chops, and a bed of yellow poop. I covered the tops of the meat in the MRE cheese (kinda like Velveeta) and added some green sprinkly thingys from one of my spice cans (hey, if it’s got green sprinkly thingys on it, it looks fancy right?)

For dessert, I took four MRE Pound Cakes, mashed ‘em up, added five packets of cocoa powder, powdered coffee cream, and some water. I heated it up and stirred it until it looked like a sort of chunky gelatinous organism, and I sprinkled powdered sugar on top of it. Voila — Ranger Pudding.

For alcoholic drinks, I took the rest of my bottle of Military Special Vodka (yes, they DO make a type of liquor named “Military Special”—it sells for $4.35 per fifth at the Class Six ) and mixed in four packets of “Electrolytes – 1 each – Cherry flavored” (I swear, the packet says that). It looked like an eerie kool-aid with sparkles in it (that was the electrolytes I guess… could’ve been leftover sand from Egypt).

I lit two candles, put a vase of wildflowers in the middle, and set the table with my best set of Ralph Lauren Academy-series China (that shit is EXPENSIVE… my set of 8 place settings cost me over $600 on sale at the Lejeune PX ), and put the alcoholic drink in a crystal wine decanter.

She came over, and I had some appetizers already made, of MRE spaghetti-with-meatballs, set in small cups. She saw the dinner, saw the food, and said “This looks INCREDIBLE!!!”

We dug in, and she was loving the food. Throughout the meal, she kept asking me how long it took me to make it, and kept remarking that I obviously knew a thing or two about cooking fine meals. She kind of balked at the makeshift “wine” I had set out, but after she tried it I guess she liked it because she drank four glasses during dinner.

At the end of the main course, when I served the dessert, she squealed with delight at the “Chocolate mousse” I had made. Huh? Chocolate what? Okay… yeah… it’s Chocolate Moose. Took me HOURS to make… yup.

Later on, as we were watching a movie, she excused herself to use my restroom. While she was in there, I heard her say softly to herself “uh oh” and a resounding but petite fart punctuated her utterance of dismay.

Let the games begin.

She sprayed about half a can of air freshener (Air Freshener, 1 each, Orange scent. Yup. The military even makes smellgood) and returned to the couch, this time with an obvious pained look.

After 10 more minutes she excused herself again, and retreated to the bathroom for the second time, I could hear her say “What the hell is WRONG with me???” as she again send flatulent shock waves into the porcelain bowl. This time, they sounded kinda wet, and I heard the toilet paper roll being employed, and again, LOTS more air freshener.

Back to the couch. She smiles meekly as she decides to sit on the chair instead of next to me. She sits on my chair, knees pulled up to her chest, kind of rocking back and forth slightly. Suddenly, without a word, she ROCKETED up and FLEW to the bathroom, slammed the door, and didn’t come out for 30 minutes.

I turned the movie up because I didn’t want her to hear me laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my cheeks.

She came out with a slightly gray pallor to her face, and said “I am SOOOOOO sorry. I have NO idea what is wrong with me. I am so embarrassed, I can’t believe I keep running to your bathroom!!” I gave her an Immodium AD, and she finally settled down and relaxed.

Later on, she asked me again what I had made for dinner, because she had enjoyed it so much. I calmly took her into the kitchen and showed her all the used MRE bags and packets in the trash can.

After explaining to her that she had eaten roughly 9,000 calories of “Marine Corps Field Rations” she turned stark white, looked at me incredulously, and said “I ate 9,000 calories of dehydrated food that was made 3 years ago?” After I concurred, she grabbed her coat and keys, and took off without a word.

She called me yesterday. Seems she couldn’t shit for 5 days, and when she finally did, the smell was so bad, her roommate could smell it from down the hall. She also told me she had been working out nonstop to combat the high caloric intake, and that she never wanted me to cook dinner for her again, unless she was PERSONALLY there to inspect the food beforehand.

It was a fun date. She laughed about it eventually and said that that was the first time she’d ever crapped in a guy’s house on a date. She’d been so upset by it she was in tears in the bathroom while I had been in tears on the couch.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 12 bottle wine "cellar" in my closet... yes camping is time to commune with nature, then eat it. I carry a diverse selection of wine because you never know what may crawl into your camp late at night!

I love to forage and add whatever to the mix.... personal best moments were:

1) blueberries picked in bear country (Alaska) at the foot of a glacier and on the edge of a cliff outside of Valdez...

2) the chunk of a glacier that broke off into the copper river 55 miles outside of Cordova, AK that knocked salmon onto the shore only to be cooked minutes later.

LIFE IS GRAND!!!

ASWAH

1989 Westy
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always carry butter in the fridge to fry up the wild mushrooms that I am constantly on the lookout for. Last summer I was in a campground on Deer Island and noticed this guy cooking his dinner. Right next to his foot was a nice patch of Chanterelles. I asked him if he minded if I took them. He thanked me because he thought someone had dumped some cheezies in his campsite and he was pissed off. One man's ignorance is another man's treat.

By the way, Dog, Great story!
You should send it to reader's digest.

Last edited by Perales on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaghetti in a big pot. every single camping trip I have ever been on there has always been that. Very amazing to say the least. Very Happy
Past vws: 1977 Champagne Edition I Bus (Cedar)1991 Capri Green Wolfsburg Jetta 1978 Sage Green(Taiga) Transporter 2.0 FI (Paddy) 1980 Inca Brown Rabbit Diesel LS 1969 Karmann (funky weird blue that wasn't original) Ghia Autostick 1991 Bordeaux Red Vanagon GL 1992 Tornado Red GTI 8V
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always cube some beef and cut up veggies at home, throw it in a marinade, and assemble kebabs at the campsite to cook over the fire. The second night, it's usually chili brats. I should probably branch out (seriously - duck confit?!) but those standbys are always soooo good.
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some goodies......Someone needs to make a "The Samba" cook book Idea
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...mp;start=0
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny detailed story Laughing Have you coooked fo her again?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: