Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UV Rays and Rearview Mirrors
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: UV Rays and Rearview Mirrors Reply with quote

I grabbed my rearview mirror to adjust it a few weeks ago and, after 25 years of exposure, the back disintegrated in my hand:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found a used one and put it in today, but it also feels a bit brittle on the back....

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found mine to be like this recently. I didn't grab it to move it, I just happened to see it from the outside and notice it's falling apart. Since this has been brought to light, anyone have a source for new ones?
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parts stores sell the models you glue the mounting tab to the windshield if you want a "new" mirror. Anything wrong with those besides them not being stock?
Of course GoWesty has one for a mere $130.... Shocked Shocked Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't UV, it was the 'Andromeda Strain'. It appears yours is brown. The brown plastic is really poor quality. It seems that whatever they added to the plastic to color it brown made it unable to stand much UV at all (brown, being in the red side of the spectrum and absorbs most of the UV anyhow). So a trip to the junkyard to score a black one wold be one answer. Or it is finally time for that bluetooth/compass/OAT/rearview camera you have always wanted.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on Ebay. Somebody is selling used black mirrors to replace brittle brown ones

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it that you cant get a sunburn/suntan through glass since the UV rays dont penetrate glass...yet its mentioned that UV rays caused the rear view mirror to disintergrate.

Is it possible that the heat alone has caused the plastic to completely dry out ?
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you can get a sunburn and cataracts through glass from UV, just takes about 10 times longer. Pilots don't wear sunglasses in the cockpit just to be cool. You can do UV photography with glass lenses, long exposures are required. Quartz lenses work much, butter, but glass will work. Take a stroll though this guy's website:
http://www.naturfotograf.com/uvstart.html
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seanjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K58 wrote:
parts stores sell the models you glue the mounting tab to the windshield if you want a "new" mirror. Anything wrong with those besides them not being stock?

Mine has a glue on FLAPS special, works just fine. No visability issues at all.
The P/O of my van installed it after sawing off the original! And yes, I agree, some people should in fact be clubbed to death at birth. Or at least held by the ankles and smacked against the floor until the job is done. Razz
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K58 wrote:

Maybe the windshield comes attached to the rear view mirror, hence the $130.00.
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
K58 wrote:

now that make sense! Laughing ....someone should remind GW that we are Vanagon owners....not all have six figure incomes, a home in Santa Barbara, and a Syncro Doka with fresh paint, new wheels, bumpers, lift...etc, etc...
sorry for the rant
back to topic...what was the topic?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scared to adjust mine so I don't...it will soon be a pile of 27 year old plastic... I will be searching the samba classifieds myself...i should reply and drink Embarassed
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this at one point, but the PO of my van installed a '90's vintage mirror that has the temp. and compass built in.

It sticks to the windshield, and he ran the wires up through the hole that the stock mirror mounted in.

Besides the part about being fixed to the windshield, I'm very happy with it. Having the temp and direction of travel is a nice upgrade.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the beauty of the aftermarket mirrors is that they can be mounted on the glass in a place where they are actually useful on a westy.

i can't see crap out of the stock mirror because the cabinet is in the way.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K58 wrote:
RCB wrote:
K58 wrote:

now that make sense! Laughing ....someone should remind GW that we are Vanagon owners....not all have six figure incomes, a home in Santa Barbara, and a Syncro Doka with fresh paint, new wheels, bumpers, lift...etc, etc...
sorry for the rant
back to topic...what was the topic?

I think we all agree about the GW pricing and their 7-11 type of appeal.

On topic, I noticed this issue long long ago and put a black one from a parts donor in.

My next trick will be to figure out how to lower it so I get a better view out the back window.

What helped some was to raise the back of the van (I have uppity nosed 85) but want something that I can attach to the old ball of the old brown mirror to set a new better mirror with all that fancy junk like a back up camera display etc in it.....wonder what ya gotta do fer dat?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

My next trick will be to figure out how to lower it so I get a better view out the back window.

Someone posted recently (Hiram6 maybe?) that the arm from a Bay Window Westy will fit, and the arm is longer allowing for improved visibility to the rear - though it does lower the mirror into the forward field of vision. Personally I prefer to see what's in front of me more than what's behind, but it sounds like a great fix for some. The stock mirror position and side mirrors are fine for now.

Does anyone know if the ball/socket size on the Vanagon mirror is compatible with any other vehicles? If so, then it should be simple to pop off the old and replace with a newer version. One with temp./compass would be cool, and then all it requires is a couple wires behind the headliner. Could be a real simple "upgrade."
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
r39o wrote:

Someone posted recently (Hiram6 maybe?) that the arm from a Bay Window Westy will fit, and the arm is longer allowing for improved visibility to the rear

I wonder if my buddy Dave will notice the difference if I swap the mirror from is fat chick Westy?

heee heee.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got pics of their replacement super gadget rearview mirror/thermometer/compass/backup tv.... ? I'd love to see some of the options as now I am thinking "upgrade".
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: