Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

16X7 Tires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice wheels, steelhead. Where did you score those? Wink
ANGOVAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put on the Yoko Geolandar ATS 215/65/16 becasue of the 98 load rating.. I had the Hydros 215/60/16 and my GPS reported the mph almost perfect (1-2mph off). I wasn't worried about the rotation and mph difference just wanted a better snow and light offroad tire. I now rub the front tires if I come up to hard or fast on a curb. I'll be looking at some springs soon. I also put on new shocks at the same time.
I really like them, they are quiet, and have a more agressive tire pattern then the Hydos and I can cross rotate them.
This may be dumb question Question I'm pretty sure my spare is still 14" ( l know I need to check) -- Can I use it in an emergency for a short distance?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> hankook ventus v4 es. I have a 225/55/16 load rating of 99.

do you have a link? I cant find that size. The one I found is DIRECTIONAL though. Dont any of you worry about having a working spare in rotation?

> I'm pretty sure my spare is still 14" ( l know I need to check)

I would never run a 14" spare with 3 other 16" wheels, but thats just me. Im kind of particular about tire rotation, including the spare, its a Syncro thing.

It is clear to me, that people using directional tires, dont rotate their spare.. Probably fine for all the posters in this thread, who seem to be 2WD van drivers

> Can I use it in an emergency for a short distance?

I would use AAA Premier instead, 4 tows a year, up to 100 miles each...
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANGOVAY- I'm going with my 14 as spare for 2wd. From my research, it wouldn't cause problems with the spider gears for shortish distances, though I wouldn't want to go hundreds of miles. No matter which tire went flat, I would probably try moving the spare to one of the front tires and seeing how that drove/handled.

Gauche1968- Thanks, found those rims on craigslist for $200. Called "swings" and they were put Audi A4s and some VW passats. Took the usually modification to make them fit, but I like.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
> hankook ventus v4 es. I have a 225/55/16 load rating of 99.

do you have a link? I cant find that size. The one I found is DIRECTIONAL though. Dont any of you worry about having a working spare in rotation?

> I'm pretty sure my spare is still 14" ( l know I need to check)

I would never run a 14" spare with 3 other 16" wheels, but thats just me. Im kind of particular about tire rotation, including the spare, its a Syncro thing.

It is clear to me, that people using directional tires, dont rotate their spare.. Probably fine for all the posters in this thread, who seem to be 2WD van drivers

> Can I use it in an emergency for a short distance?

I would use AAA Premier instead, 4 tows a year, up to 100 miles each...

Its all kinda relative..
I have 4 14" tires now.. so I can use them as disposables if need be. Kinda like those silly space saver spares standard issue on so many cars.

But running a 25" spare with 3 29 tires would not only look absurd, it would make for some slow going. Right now my 29" spare rides inside the van.

I have been advised that my directional tires can be run backwards.. BFGs RLTs are inside/out directional.
and have been advised that many directionals can be run backwards as a spare for lots of miles without dangerous wear or risk of failure.

I am not advising anyone to do that (for obvious reasons).. just that I think some of this directional stuff is a bit overblown. YMMV.

We have much much more room to play in 2WD land.
But if I had a syncro I'd be planning a decoupler install.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

I am not advising anyone to do that (for obvious reasons).. just that I think some of this directional stuff is a bit overblown. YMMV.

I don't worry about too much either. After all, you could just have a spare of similar diameter and width that wasn't a directional tire and use it until the flat could be repaired.

Marc
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I may have found something here,

The Falken 912s in the 215/60-16 size ARE XL rated, so that 99 load index does not need to be downrated.

Specifically, the DT website shows the tire size as

215 - 60R - 16 99H XL B

Unless I'm missing something, these meet the requirements, right??

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
>(nokian WRG2) 225/60R 16 XL 102V. The diameter is around 26.5" (780 rev/mi),

which is 5% taller than stock. And these tires are directional, meaning you cant cross rotate, and that also means you need 2 spares (or might have to run the spare backwards.. forget about 5 tire rotations, you cant with directional tires)

WR G2s are non-directional and can be cross-rotated. The older generation WRs were directional though.
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225/75-16's are the standard commercial truck (Ford E350) tire size. They are available in high weight ratings. 215/75-16's are not made in as high a weight rating IIRC.
Example-
B.F. Goodrich Commercial T/AŽ All Season

LT225/75R16/E 115/112Q BSW 67515 6 - 7 8.8 ON 6 Dia-29.4 revs/mi-707 max. load 2680@80psi
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put on Nokian eNTYRE.
New model

I vote for them. although I have 15's they come in 16's

It's worth checking out.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=99244&group=1.02&name=Nokian+eNTYRE
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:
Okay, I may have found something here,

The Falken 912s in the 215/60-16 size ARE XL rated, so that 99 load index does not need to be downrated.

Specifically, the DT website shows the tire size as

215 - 60R - 16 99H XL B

Unless I'm missing something, these meet the requirements, right??

Hey, I'm quoting myself!!

I now have these Falkens mounted on a set of the Mercedes CLK wheels. I give them a hearty endorsement! No noticeable road noise, nice solid ride without being harsh. No noticeable sidewall flex, they seem to be perfectly happy with the weight of my 2WD Westy.

BTW, they are indeed XL rated. The tire decal clearly identifies them as 99T load rated, and XL rated for Extra Load.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my General Grabber AT2 (215/70R16) on the Syncro Westy. Quiet, great grip in snow. 99 load rating. On CLK wheels I powdercoated black. Cheaper than the BFGs also!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Masta Shake on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Quote:
What abut the Michelin Hydro Edge ?

Those are the tires that GoWesty sells with their rim/tire package that the OP wanted to avoid.

Thumbs down on that tire as the OP has already stated.
POS
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am broke--I'm mounting the tires from my lhs sedan on my 16 ronals--goodyears-they have a shorter sidewall and stand 25.5" tall--same as oe vanagon--having to spend over 100.00 for a tire is retarded.
one of the vanagon flaws-- jag brakes inside-- 16s will be the new standard for those tired of the sidewall games.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: General Grabber AT2 Reply with quote

Do the General Grabber AT2 rub at all? How much room do you have?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber AT2 Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Do the General Grabber AT2 rub at all? How much room do you have?

I edited the size. They are 215/70R16.

No body rubbing whatsoever but I do have a 2" GW lift. The point where there would be a problem is on the trailing arm and I have about 3/4" clearance there. The offset on the wheels is what makes it all work. It is an ET37 wheel (CLK alloy).
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masta Shake wrote:
Love my General Grabber AT2 (215/70R16) on the Syncro Westy. Quiet, great grip in snow. 99 load rating. On CLK wheels I powdercoated black. Cheaper than the BFGs also!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm in search of some CLKs and narrowing down my tire choices. I am leaning toward the Grabbers, so I'd like to know your opinion about the power loss going with the 215/70/16s (28.1 inches, 742 revs per mile), vs. dropping down to a 215/65/16 (27 inches, 772 revs per mile). Opinions really seem to vary on this point. Some suggest that it's actually better to make a more radical change to essentially change your gearing to a three speed with an overdrive, rather than going with a smaller change, which steals power without enough of a gearing change to change how you drive. I'm driving a syncro Westy as well, powered by a 2.1 wbx, for now. I'll be dropping either a Subie 2.5 in or a Tencent 2.1 within the next 18 months, which should give me adequate power for the larger tires, but I don't want to hamstring the van too badly until then. I'm living at only about 1,300 feet of elevation, but head to the high places each summer.

Not sure about your engine Masta Shake, but are you happy with that size tire, or if you had to do it over, would you have dropped down a size?
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "three speeds plus overdrive" theory is new to me. IMHO, where the tall tires have the biggest negative impact is off the line. Cruising, mtns, etc...all fine. The more "radical" change to really tall will be felt at every stoplight. Like molasses in winter...
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
the "three speeds plus overdrive" theory is new to me. IMHO, where the tall tires have the biggest negative impact is off the line. Cruising, mtns, etc...all fine. The more "radical" change to really tall will be felt at every stoplight. Like molasses in winter...

From another 16-inch tire thread:http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=233666&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100
Loogy wrote:
. . . a couple of months ago we took a trip and had the van pretty darn loaded up. The van was loaded with two adults, four teenage kids, three dogs, three bikes and roof rack/interior loaded with enough supplies and gear for a week for all of us. I experienced no issues whatsoever. Were we a little slower than usual? Of course, but being able to have the RPMs up a little, driving in third gear at a constant 60 mph up the hills and not having to drop my speed to 45-50mph and shift from fourth to third (as I would have had to do with the stock diameter tires) on those hills was really nice. And that's with the tall roof-top carrier and three bikes up there.

In other words, the increased diameter of the tires shifted the usable RPM range of third gear (specifically) to a point that it is much more usable on the freeway. Fourth gear becomes much more like an overdrive type thing. The gear change split (actually more like the usable RPM/shift point change) around town is also very welcome. Like J_dirge said, the only thing that would make it nicer would be a lower first gear, but I think I have that covered...when I find the time.

Like I said, I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is the right way to go for them, but for me, it works perfectly and I love it.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my take on it, and just my opinion! Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I have 27 1/2", a little bit smaller than your targeted size.
This puts me @ 6.77% taller than the stock tire size.
I also have an ej22, which may have just a little more power than a 10c motor.

The "slow as molasses" from a stop does not apply at all with my van, which by the way is a loaded and very heavy high-top westy. A tin-top would sail.

Around town in flat-land Vegas I really like the increased range of each gear now. That's the huge plus. I also (surprisingly) get slightly better gas mileage now, according to g.p.s. readings, in-town. I expected better hi-way mpg, but had expected worse in-town numbers.

The drawback comes with any climbing I do.
Acceleration suffers greatly.
Rpm falls off fast and I have to use 3rd.

For ME, this is fine, since 98% of my driving is flat-land style.
In fact, when these tires are done, I'm planning to go with larger ones. Smile

All depends on where your priorities lie I 'spose.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: