Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival Reply with quote

After the absolute blast we had at the 10,000 Lakes Festival last summer, it looks like we're gearing up to head to the Ozarks for the Wakarusa Festival in June.

This festival is within my 1000 mile limit on traveling to see Widespread Panic.

Any Vanagons going?

www.wakarusa.com

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot. I wish. Pretty sorry there's no 10klf this year, this would have fit the bill.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, we were disappointed to hear that 10klf isn't happening this year. Wakarusa is definitely a consolation prize. If the folks in Northern Arkansas are anywhere near as friendly, cool, and fun as those in Northern Minnesota, then we're in for another good one though.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With departure set for two weeks from tomorrow, I figured I'd bump this thread to see if anybody else is going to Wakarusa.

Vanagon work to do:

Oil Change
Check Tranny fluid, clean out breather hole
New 2nd Battery
Re-seal dipstick tube
Fix Skylight leak
Finish DIY window and slider door screens
Clean out and organize closet and underseat area
Install new antenna
Find my bike rack
Steal GPS back from my wife's car
Print Vanagon Rescue Squad list
Pack for four days of camping and music in a hot, humid Arkansas forest

And finally,

Cook a giant pot of Jambalaya to take on the road and share at the festival as an offering to the Vanagon/Karma Gods for a safe trip!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Gods Reply with quote

May the Vanagon Gods be with you!

Good luck with that list...looks like quite a few beers worth of work.

Enjoy the show. We are a bit far away but we were looking for friends to go to Evolve in Antigonish here in Nova Scotia. We seem to be about twice the age of the average festival goer. Ahh well. What can you do?

Brian.

Last edited by bjrogers86auto on Tue May 18, 2010 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
freshintulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you have fun. I'm not too far from there, but won't be attending. Not my kind of thing, plus i'm super busy. I used to live in Fort Collins, and i'm sure we've met before or seen each other. If you're in need of help and are anywhere near tulsa, ok let me know. Doug.

85 westy svx
Fresh front end rebuild
Front cab changed from brown to black with new homemade door panels, etc.
Soon to remove fridge/sink/cabinet and make custom bench seat!!!

89 wolfsburg/ bluestar.... finished the stick to automatic conversion,
tiico motor
Daily driver, 20mpgs and has enough hair in it to make a few dogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawberry Music Festival next weekend and Calgary Folk Festival July 22-25.

Music festivals are great for kids, grown-ups and westys!
In a world full of ponies it's a thoroughbred horse....
Can ≠ Should
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great trip! May the vanagon gods smile kindly on you and keep it shiny (or fiberglass) side up!

The festival season is just getting under way. We have Telluride in June (We leave 3 weeks from tomorrow - Yikes!) and NW String Summit in July http://www.stringsummit.com/. If anyone makes it out for that, get in touch. It's a blast.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

checking panic in boston in august end of summer
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this weekend with a forecast of 80 and sunny in Denver to get things done, so hopefully she'll be ready to roll. It's just a lot of small things that I like to take care of before hitting the road. (We'll just pretend that the 3/4 slider is brand new. Shocked )

Thanks for the offer Doug, I will definitely contact you if anything comes up.

There's another festival we're talking about attending here in Colorado towards the end of summer. This one is brand-new and looks to be extremely Westfalia- and kid-friendly (they even mention VW buses in the camping options on the website.)

www.newhoma.org

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the list, except the jambalaya and packing. I'm boiling 200 lbs. of live crawfish for a friend's party tomorrow and will take some of the Andouille sausage from the boil which should make for a very good pot of jambalaya. Pack up the Vanagon Monday, work and cook Tuesday, then hit the road at 4 AM Wednesday. Ready to go!

I've thought of everything I can think of and inspected every inch of the Vanagon. It's in Murphy's hands now...

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May Murphy miss you all! Travel safely and ENJOY Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
choadtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Buddy, We'll be there Wednesday night at midnight for the gate opening. Hope to see you there! I'll be in a 78' Beige Westfalia...
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we made it.

First off, it was hotter than the hot part of hell and never, ever cooled off. Holy cow was it hot. 102 on Saturday with 85% humidity.

We made excellent time, about 12.5 hours for 850 miles heading there and my Vanagon did a heroic job. I had bad vibrations at around 72 MPH (my tires are out-of-round) but otherwise she ran cool and did great. I tried to stay around 75 MPH @ 4200 RPM. I averaged around 18-20 MPG going down. I was in a hurry.

The festival itself was a blast. We made lots of new friends and I saw around 10 Vanagons there. Camp Buzz Management was hot, crowded, and messy, but we made the most of it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I met one guy with a flawless '84 westy with hemp top, GW bumpers and rear rack, and a 1.8 jetta motor. Very nice guy and a perfect Vanagon. Lamentably, it was late in the afternoon and due to my festival condition at the time, I am unable to remember his name. I do know he was from Florida. Also, this was during a time when my camera was MIA, so unfortunately I didn't get to preserve much of the festival in pictures. I did snap this cloudy pic of a Weekender with a Colorado flag and a funky green bumper:

We also made a beer dispenser out of a pink flamingo; apparently this is called a flabongo. It also worked flawlessly. You can tell how insufferably hot it was by my buddy's shirt:

My homemade screens worked great keeping the bugs out and the dual hanging fans in the upstairs screen area were outstanding; however, it never really cooled off out there.

The ride back was tired and miserable. We hit a bad line of thunderstorms in Western Kansas at midnight Sunday. I was full throttle in third gear going into a headwind topping out at 35 miles per hour.

At one point, the wind shifted from the west to the south and nearly blew me off the road. It then shifted to the north and blew me into the median. I was able to grind it back onto the road, though. Thank goodness there was no other traffic in either direction.

Then, and this is something that I have never experienced, the front end got extremely light and I basically lost the steering at about 30 MPH. The pop top started making a horrible TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT noise from the front corners and I was sure it was being ripped off. The wind shifted again and again and I could not figure out what to do except hit the brakes in the middle of I-70. We experienced this violent shaking for about 30-45 seconds, then it was back to a fierce wind out of the west.

It was pitch dark except for the lightning so I can't be sure, but I could swear we were either in or near a tornado. It scared the holy hell out of me, but gave me enough adrenaline to make it through the rest of the storm and arrive in Denver at 3:30 AM.

All in all, it was a crazy, intense, fun adventure; however, I will not be camping in June/July/August anywhere southeast of Denver for the rest of my life. Holy hot. I'm from Louisiana and should be naturally acclimated, but call me a sissy because that is not the case.

Next up, we're heading to Turqoise Lake (elevation 12000 feet approx.) this weekend for a family camping trip. It's supposed to rain or snow with high's in the 50's, lows in the '30's.

I welcome the change in climate and plan to stay off of the plains until tornado season is over.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had just about everything happen to you. I could never have survived those temps and humidity. All the rest you just handle as it comes. Maybe you got a shear or a downdraft. I'm wondering if your underwear experienced any color changes Question Laughing Glad you made it back safely. Lots of adventure by the sounds of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MoonShineMars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: anyone Reply with quote

going out to wakarusa this year? east coasters?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun. I've got to figure out a way to retire soon. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MoonShineMars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Looks like fun. I've got to figure out a way to retire soon. Very Happy

right? sometimes early in life, one takes up the retired lifestyle, and remains that way throughout Rolling Eyes
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but it reminded me of Wakarusa in 2007. It was near Kansas City that year and a terrible thunderstorm came through the 2nd night and lighting hit the ground 5 feet from my friend while he was walking and put him right on his ass. Spring in the Midwest is almost a guaranteed rainy festival.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: