Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru spark plugs
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Subaru spark plugs Reply with quote

So i changed the spark plugs on my 2.5 suby engine in the syncro yesterday. The first one started to turn out normally and then got tighter on the way out. As it got tighter i ran it back in and then back out. Still kinda tight coming out. Why? Well because it left the crush washer stuck to the head. Arg. I have an assortment of dental picks but by the time it reaches that far in youve only got a hold of an inch of it. I went and made a 90 degree hook tool from an old chainsaw file using the rat tail handle end of it. I sharpened the little hook tip to a chisel profile hoping it might catch the edge of the crush washer. Anyone cringing right now? Shocked . I could feel the threaded hole and dragging the hook past the threads hoping to catch the washer no success. Then thinking how screwed I'd be if the tip broke off down there i quit doing that. One more of them did the same and i was able to get the washer out by lubing the spark plug and running it back in and then out. Options, remove valve cover, remove washer from new plug, install new plug with washer and double stack washers. Thoughts?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru spark plugs Reply with quote

Get a rubber wine cork (or similar test-tube plug). Make a hole in the center of the plug and put nylon mason`s string through there. Use this to plug the spark plug hole and prevent debris intrusion.

Now buy or fashion a 90 degree pick. Now find a metal bar or equivalent that you can insert alongside the pick to push the pick sideways to insert the tip of the pick under the spark plug washer.

Spritz with compressed air.

Remove wine cork.

Upon succeeding, apply a small amount of anti-seize to both the threads and the washer of the new spark plug.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru spark plugs Reply with quote

Hard to believe there is anything but engine gunk holding it in place. Maybe run the plug back in a few threads and fill the hole with some solvent-type cleaner and see if it won't un-glue with some soaking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: