Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first (mostly) unpleasant surprise in my new '87 westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WSideWitneSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: My first (mostly) unpleasant surprise in my new '87 westy Reply with quote

So I decide to do the headlight relay upgrade today. I was surprised how bad the stock lights really are. Everyone says they are, but wow!! I bought all the parts and read some install instructions and I figure I'm ready to go.

Now here's the surprise...I unscrew the fuse panel and am looking around and discover that someone already did the upgrade. Shocked Upgraded and the lights still are terrible. I decide that I'll check it out and see if it was done correctly. It sure looks like it was because I got 13.2v at the headlight harness. That's a decent voltage right??

I didn't check out the bulbs, and they could be part of the problem, but I figured it was time to do another upgrade so I ordered the SA grill from busdepot. I cant' wait for that sexy round headlight look! Oh....and to be able to see where I'm going at night. Wink
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, perhaps its due to my aircooled roots....but I find that in my carat the headlights are quite nice.

But yeah...SA grill is sexy time.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the stock lights suck I have the H4 on the syncro and stock on the 2wd and there is a big difference.I thought the relay was to just keep the switch from burning out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock will never be as good as the H4's. Are yours cloudy inside? sometimes they are just dirty and a cleaning inside will make them brighter. Search for cleaning the headlights, as many folks had found innovative ways to get them clear again. There are also some threads on brighter bulbs, which will work if you have upgraded your lighting system, or in your case inherited the upgrade. 13.2, fine voltage, but is that under load (headlights on)?
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to get brighter bulbs in addition to the relay to get the complete brighter headlight upgrade.
Supposedly the relay alone makes a slight improvement but the bright bulbs really seal the deal!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you measure the voltage at the headlamp with the headlamp plugged in and drawing current?

I installed relays and saw a huge difference. My low beams are now acceptable and the high beam is fantastic. I have the stock rectangular lamps like you with stock wattage bulbs.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My first (mostly) unpleasant surprise in my new '87 west Reply with quote

WSideWitneSS wrote:

I didn't check out the bulbs, and they could be part of the problem, but I figured it was time to do another upgrade so I ordered the SA grill from busdepot. I cant' wait for that sexy round headlight look! Oh....and to be able to see where I'm going at night. Wink

The relays protect the dash light switch..
But unless you install stronger bulbs, too, the headlights are still just weak OE bulbs.

Relays allow you to upgrade to 80/100 watt bulbs.. and they are CONSIDERABLY brighter than the OE bulbs.. Clean the old lens housing out with a little glass cleaner and voila!

Let there be light!

Sadly, to take the lamp apart and clean it up REALLY well usually breaks several adjuster parts.. and at least one of them is NLA.

So far, 2x80 watt driving bulbs in the square OE lens have been everything I've needed.. aiming them properly helped, too.
And 4x100 high beams are overkill. Seldom use them except for flashing on-coming high beams.

If you were itchin' for the SA grill all along, I am sure you would not be happy even with 80/100 bulbs.. even if they are only $40 bucks vs $450

Would you mind checking those old bulbs next time you're in there?
If they are 80/100s can I use have them for spares? Wink

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
WSideWitneSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, drawing current. Oh well...I just needed an excuse to get the SA grill. It's just soooooo nice.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our South African grill kit now comes with Bosch H4 outer lights and German 60/55w bulbs. Those are really nice headlights and a big improvement over the sealed-beams, even with the 60/55w bulbs. In fact most of our customers use the Bosch's with the 60/55w bulbs, if only because they provide the maximum headlight improvement possible without having to install relays. But since you have the relays, it will be easy to drop in a pair of 80/100's if the 60/55's don't cut it for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what bulbs are included for the inner headlights?
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inner lights are genuine VW/Hella and come with 55w bulbs (which is the factory spec for South African Vanagons that came with these lights).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: