Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Anyone can post a some pictures of rear fenders lights holes please ?
lil_azza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hi I have read most of the pages 😁 Would a uk 58 standard have windscreen washers?
And I also read somewhere that the 58 doesn't have high beam?
And interior light ?
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

yes high beams, actuated by a foot switch. and yes to the interior light. It will not go on automatically with the doors opened on a standard, only deluxes has the pin switch

no on windshield washer

hope this helps
lil_azza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Yes that helps thank you very much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
On 350 - They most likely included everything possible for 350, including options that only came on later Beetles.
They do this fairly often and it's confusing for earlier cars.

Yep. When my 59's BC came in saying it had the US350 as explained, I was surprised but realized it could not be.
I did ad the dual master cylinder just to make it a step closer to the BC and a little bit safer to drive. I really just wanted to know what the original color was so I can spray it original. Also found out that my 36hp is original to the car. Hope that is true!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Perhaps this is not the best place to ask this but if this group of experts doesn't know I don't know who would.

Why is the rear track width of the '58 and '59 1250mm while the '60 to '65 is 1288mm? I thought these all used the same brakes and wheels with axles and tubes that where same length. That is a 38mm jump in track width, not as big of a change as the long axles in '67, but only 20mm less.
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure but I think the rear brakes were widened somewhere in that time frame.
1965 Notchback S
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Anyone know what the correct fuse block for a 59 was 8 terminal with screw ?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Matthew Tolbert wrote:
I'm not 100% sure but I think the rear brakes were widened somewhere in that time frame.

The rear brakes where 30mm wide until '68. Sourcing reacement parts show the wheel cylinders and brake shoes as the same from early '58 through '64, and the drums even longer through '65.
graybum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Does anyone here know where I might be able to source a replacement sunroof cover for a '59 Garnet Red Ragtop?

I contacted Wolfsburg West who said they had nothing to match the original, and suggested I try Lenny Copp. So I sent Lenny an email a few weeks back, but as yet no reply.

Not a great picture, but the best I can find to show the colour:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any help appreciated!
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

graybum wrote:
Hi everyone!

Does anyone here know where I might be able to source a replacement sunroof cover for a '59 Garnet Red Ragtop?

I contacted Wolfsburg West who said they had nothing to match the original, and suggested I try Lenny Copp. So I sent Lenny an email a few weeks back, but as yet no reply.

Any help appreciated!

Wow i got a garnet red too . There is no match
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I dont know of anyone who repops the correct color, so here are a couple of suggestions.
You could take your existing rag, and have some sems paint/dye matched to it, and then spray the new cover.
Or you could try going to a bunch of upholstry shops and try to find some vinyl in the correct color, and then using your exsisting top as a pattern, and have one made.
graybum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Thanks guys, shame that there doesn't appear to be a simple solution!

I need to make the car more weather proof in the short term, so think I'll just get another cover to put on for now, and then try to find a material or dye match that's closer to the original at some point in the future.
myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Wow! I also have a Garnet Red car. Would it be possible to see more pictures of your car. Is this a semaphore car?

Regards,

graybum wrote:
Hi everyone!

Any help appreciated!

WANTED: DEET EICHEL (Modesto, CA), license plate frames and other Deet Eichel related items.

Wanted: Original VW
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I got a 59 garnet red rag too!
myvolks1 wrote:
Wow! I also have a Garnet Red car. Would it be possible to see more pictures of your car. Is this a semaphore car?

Regards,

graybum wrote:
Hi everyone!

Any help appreciated!

myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

hsosa1,

Can you post some photos of your Garnet Red car?

Regards,

hsosa1 wrote:
graybum wrote:
Hi everyone!

Any help appreciated!

Wow i got a garnet red too . There is no match

WANTED: DEET EICHEL (Modesto, CA), license plate frames and other Deet Eichel related items.

Wanted: Original VW
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I just started working on a 58 Vert I bought from a neighbor in 2001. It was parked in his garage since 1970 until a snow storm caused the garage roof to collapse. Luckily the bug only got a dent on the cowl by one of the wipers. It was originally a black car and the interior seems to be red and gray when you look at the door panels, however it has gray seats??? It this correct? This is a car that has been in this family since 1960 or so and it all original. But the red on the correct star pattern door panels puzzles me. Any thoughts?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

57 Zwitter? wrote:
I just started working on a 58 Vert I bought from a neighbor in 2001. It was parked in his garage since 1970 until a snow storm caused the garage roof to collapse. Luckily the bug only got a dent on the cowl by one of the wipers. It was originally a black car and the interior seems to be red and gray when you look at the door panels, however it has gray seats??? It this correct? This is a car that has been in this family since 1960 or so and it all original. But the red on the correct star pattern door panels puzzles me. Any thoughts?

Dealer may have mixed and matched. Look at the Wolfsburg west color charts for 58/59. Standards had grey seats in 58.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

question:
will a stewart warner gas heater for a 61-64' bug work on 58'-59' ? Anyone have pictures of various gas heater installs on their 58-59?

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Darrin900
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Looking for wheel colors for a 1958 Capri blue beetle. Ww says L82 silver white and L336 deep blue. Does that sound right? I’ve read L87 pearl white also. Also any help on formulas for those colors would be great thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 127 of 148

Jump to: