Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Would try asking that in the fender thread mentioned previously. That is the hot line to the experts that have already posted there. Just taking a quick look there it seems the rear of the fender is different.
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Wiper linkage / motor Reply with quote

I've searched this thread, but all I could find was a discussion on which wiper arms are correct for our 58/59 cars.

I need a complete wiper assembly including motor, switch, etc.. for my 1959 I just picked up.

What is correct for the car?

Switch - Is it a single speed one position switch with screw terminals?

Linkage - What years are the same and correct for my 1959?

Motor - What years are the same? Screw terminals?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

All stock electrics were screw terminal till the start of the 1961 model year in AUG1960.

You can try the VW dealer parts manuals here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

Up at the top of that webpage is the "Upcoming" button that if you left click on, will take you to a link directly to the type 1 parts manual. That has great exploded parts diagrams, lists part number, nomenclature of each part, and from what chassi number to what chassi number each part was used.

You can do searches of the "Gallery" and not only find images all sorts of stuff in there, BUT there is a "Search Forums for photo" to one side of each image. Did a search just for "wiper" and found this image in among six pages of results:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Listed as:

"NOS Wiper Switch
thefladge
1958 to 1960 Bug."

Left clicked on the "Search Forums for photo" and got this "Subject: Unknown NOS Switch." thread about the image, and got this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7321363&highlight=#7321363
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Thanks Eric&Barb! This answers my question for the switch and the motor...

What about the actual linkage? Was the linkage the same from 58-60 also?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Stephan Schmidt wrote:
Thanks Eric&Barb! This answers my question for the switch and the motor...

What about the actual linkage? Was the linkage the same from 58-60 also?

Think so, check out the parts manual to see. It will be in the "Electrical" section that is part 9. The "Vin / Chassi Numbers" list thru the "Technical" button above is a good was to cross check chassi numbers by year and month so you can sort out what each part fits date/chassi wise. Do make sure you use the type 1/Beetle list VIN / Chassi Numbers, and not say the type 2s.
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

What is the correct hood crest for my 1959 beetle?

It didn't come with any of the hood trim or crest and people here who have posted "all original" cars show different emblems...2 in particular. Blue or black background.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Stephan Schmidt wrote:

It didn't come with any of the hood trim or crest and people here who have posted "all original" cars show different emblems...2 in particular. Blue or black background.

A 59 came with the blue background crest and it should be a 4 brick version.
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
Stephan Schmidt wrote:

A 59 came with the blue background crest and it should be a 4 brick version.

ok! Blue back ground I know...but what does 4 brick mean? Thanks!

Nevermind! figured it out!
cab57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hello,

someone have tips to repair an armrest like this :

I would like to add new foam but green material seems sealed.
Regards
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

cab57 wrote:

I would like to add new foam but green material seems sealed.

You will have to remove the vinyl like skinning a cat.
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I used a razor to cut along the seam on the back side, empitied out the deteriorated foam, packed in new foam and then used Locktite industrial strength (blue bottle) instant glue to close the seam. It helps to warm up the vinyl or work in the sun so that the vinyl remains pliable and doesn’t crack.
cab57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hello,

Today I received the birth certificate of my ragtop 59'.

As extra option I have "M 158 Upholstery material cloth"

Someone of you know what it could be or have more informations or pictures ?

Regards
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

cab57 wrote:

Someone of you know what it could be or have more informations or pictures ?

Up at top of this web page is the "Archive" button. Hover your mouse cursor over that button. A pop up list will appear, left click on the "Literature" in that list. Next page left click on the "Brochures 1938 - 1967" in the "Type 1" column. On the next page scroll down to the 1958-59 section. Left click on each image there to explore one at a time. Enjoy! Smile
cab57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Thanks
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

What’s the correct wiper wiper motor for our cars?

I know it’s a screw terminal style, but 2 or 3 terminal? SWF?
cab57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Quote:
What’s the correct wiper wiper motor for our cars?

I know it’s a screw terminal style, but 2 or 3 terminal? SWF?

I have a bosch wiper 113955111E 6v with 3 terminal on my 59' ragtop

MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to fix the park mechanism for a early wiper motor?
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Take the box apart and clean the contacts/inspect for broken parts. It all comes apart pretty easily but you might want to take picture 'cause it can be a bit of a puzzle to reassemble.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Wish me luck. I'm going to start my 1959 Canadian Custom sunroof tomorrow for the first time in 2 years. I hope I put some stabil in the tank.

It has a fuel leak that I spent all summer 2 years ago trying to track down. Never did find it but I'm going to have the tank leak tested when I get it going and rebuild the fuel tap for the heck of it.

Don
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

my new 58 coral beetle. Built August 57, 267 cars after the last oval window. Original paint, sat since 1978 when current owner bought it and got it back on the road. I'm the new proud owner! Still needs some tlc

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 129 of 148

Jump to: