Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

👆 Wow, nice find. Coral is a great color. Congrats!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

What parts are you looking for?

Don
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Edit: wrong early BAT car. Actually, this one:

Wow. For its production "brother," check the grey car on BAT last year:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1958-volkswagen-beetle-4/
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Using SEM color matched vinyl spray I was able to stretch the old vinyl over the newly made door cards (I let the vinyl set in the warm sun for an hour). I got a nice blue/grey color match from under the armrest. The blue was matched to Lenny Copp seat covers. I am over the moon with the results! Now on to the drivers door panel!!
Bruce Ebling
Oct 58 Euro Rag

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Wow, that looks great!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
Using SEM color matched vinyl spray I was able to stretch the old vinyl over the newly made door cards (I let the vinyl set in the warm sun for an hour). I got a nice blue/grey color match from under the armrest. The blue was matched to Lenny Copp seat covers. I am over the moon with the results! Now on to the drivers door panel!!
Bruce Ebling
Oct 58 Euro Rag

Yeah, that looks great! Nice work. Very Happy
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

1959 beetle lovers!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-volkswagen-beetle-6/

Tomorrow is the last day for the auction on my 1959 Canadian custom sunroof. Bid soon and bid often!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=YhcW_wOSvPw

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

My ultra-rare Canadian custom sunroof got $7200 and will go to Texas. Well bought Scab60!

Later: Scab60 reneged on the deal, said he didn't want the car. One of the pitfalls of auctions I guess.

Don
Ruger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

My VW addiction got the better of me today. I couldn't resist this beautiful black 58. It's a numbers matching body and pan with ribbed rear fenders and a four tab hood. Unfortunately it's missing the front fenders, passenger door and deck lid along with a couple other items.

The fenders might be rusty, but I think I can save them.

Near perfect front clip.

Still has it's one year only ash tray!

And a photo of my 59 in which I'm currently rebuilding the original power train.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I recently finished restoring my blue/grey door panels for my euro 59 beetle (see earlier post). I had some blue/grey SIM vinyl paint made up to match the area on the door panel that was behind the armrest. I feel I got a right on match. Anyway the reason I am mentioning this is that I have enough left over to do another set of panels and if anyone out there could use the paint I would be happy to help them out.
Bruce Ebling
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I was doing some work on my front bumper and trying to update a few of the pieces. What I noticed on what looked to be my original August 57 bumper was the bolts that hold the towel bar to the blade have 17mm. heads as opposed to the two other bars I had, one with 14mm bolts, the other 13mm? I assume those got smaller bolts as they got newer and this is unique to early 58 models?
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I just received my birth certificate from VW and noticed that my car (a 1959 Canadian custom) is painted L344 Reed green...according to the certificate.

I was assuming L14 Mignoette Green was correct.

Were the Deluxe cars L14 and the Canadian Custom (aka standard) cars L344?

Because its a Canadian model car, it has hydraulic brakes (not cable like the euro cars), chrome bumpers, etc..

Maybe the birth certificate is incorrect because it also says that my car came with a 30hp engine (not a 36hp), but then it says sold into Canadian market which is correct because it was purchased new at Pacific Volkswagen here in Vancouver BC.

I'll post a picture of the certificate tonight.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

30 metric BHP is same as 36 SAE BHP.
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
30 metric BHP is same as 36 SAE BHP.

ahh, never thought about it! Thanks!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hi Stephan! It is likely a mistake unless it was special ordered which is VERY unlikely. I've looked at your pictures and it sure looks like L14 to me.

Don
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Hi Stephan! It is likely a mistake unless it was special ordered which is VERY unlikely. I've looked at your pictures and it sure looks like L14 to me.

Don

Yah, thats what I was thinking...Check out what this guy wrote here --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=695794
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I've seen this car in person. WOW! He and I are friends on f*book and had a long chat about our cars. I could send you an ash tray for comparison or even a glove box door. Come to think of it I have lots of bits and pieces you could use to compare. Let me dig through my stash.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

The British Car Club of Manitoba had an event called "Drive My Car" where people bring out their cars and we all swap and everyone gets to drive everyone elses car. Great fun. As you can see the turnout was low but we all had a good time. My 1959 Volkswagen Canadian Custom sunroof was the hit of the party. Everyone loved it. People were amazed at how easy it is to drive and what a good little car it is. I even had a inquiry about price. Of course it's a great car - they only sold 25,000,000 of them!

Don
Stephan Schmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:

The British Car Club of Manitoba had an event called "Drive My Car" where people bring out their cars and we all swap and everyone gets to drive everyone elses car. Great fun. As you can see the turnout was low but we all had a good time. My 1959 Volkswagen Canadian Custom sunroof was the hit of the party. Everyone loved it. People were amazed at how easy it is to drive and what a good little car it is. I even had a inquiry about price. Of course it's a great car - they only sold 25,000,000 of them!

Don

That's such a fun idea!
Anduril
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Kind of a necro from the first few pages of this thread but I thought I would throw one more set of variables regarding some of the areas identified as 58 or 59 items. This post originally used some images from other posters. I decided to take a few pictures with my 8 year old not fond of low lighting camera.

First off it's serial number is a 212XXXX putting it in the October '58 build range

The half moon stamp that goes over where the tie rods is stamped in on the 58 and out on 59.
The stamping for the 2 fuse block is stamped more the shape of the fuse block and more defined in 58 where 59 blends into the panel more towards the bottom.
The 58 was the last year for the made in West Germany tag below the VIN plate.
The 58 is the last year for the reinforcement plate that goes around the area the tie rods go through

In the image below we have the 2 ribs vs 3 and the "Made in West Germany" tag however the body number stamping above the tag is not there. Just some hashing.

There is also a "3" stamped above and slightly to the left of the steering box access cover.

The "Baujahr" as referenced by this poster box is empty on our car.

The drain tubes in the engine compartment are similar to this one with holes at the bottom.

Last but not least we have what is considered the '59 lower wheel well area. Does not surprise me since the it was probably built in the latter half of October and some newer parts were most likely available. There is one drain hole in the middle front of that area to go with the other 4 that are visible.

If this was all redundant to information provided earlier I apologize. I read through the first 102 pages yesterday and did not see this combination.

I did borrow the engine compartment view. It was getting late last night and I didn't feel like moving the lighting around in the garage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 130 of 148

Jump to: