Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
bwaz wrote:
I've transposed that info, but can't seem to keep the tabs lines up for the columns? Any ideas how to do this so people can add their info?

No, but if revamped and set up maybe as a spread sheet, that might work better.

That said, there is more info here that if somebody takes on this project could add to the mix.

http://58-59enthusiasts.proboards.com/thread/1/58-59-registry

Here's the updated version with information from the other registry combined

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by bwaz on Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Looks good. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

wiferdill wrote:
If someone can figure it out, I'll be happy to add my information to the list. Sadly, that kind of thing is beyond my skill level.

Pass it forward if you like, either here or via pm if you want your name not included.
Brian
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

As I was looking on the tech and serial numbers section here on the samba, I came across something I hadn’t seen with body numbers. According to the document, in June of 57, it looks like the reset body numbers back to zero? I was looking at my July 15/57 built square window 58 and the body number seemed low, guess this is why! (Body numbers is the last column)
myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Everett Barnes, what all is here in this picture?

What is each called?

I have some of those for my Oct 58, but not all of these shown in this picture.

Is this a complete set that came with each new 58/59 VW Beetle when new or are some missing?

EverettB wrote:
Wow, nice!

It's weird I can't really tell the outside color in those pics, it almost looks like primer.
Is it really chalky?

The stock manuals and stuff are killer, I love that sort of thing
Another pic you posted

WANTED: DEET EICHEL (Modesto, CA), license plate frames and other Deet Eichel related items.

Wanted: Original VW

Last edited by myvolks1 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

myvolks1 wrote:
Everett Barnes, what all is here in this picture?

If you left click on the image in question, it should open it up bigger in its own screen page. Left click again and it will blow the image up a bit more.

1. Instruction Manual, AKA Owners Manual.

2. All Over Europe.

3. Distributors and Dealers in Canada, USA, and Mexico.

4. Just a Few Tips.

5. VW Service In Germany.

6. Carry pack for all of the others.

Looks like a Euro delivered beetle and driven in Europe. Probably later shipped to the USA as a used VW through VW freight ships. Might have been for a US military person based in Europe, or a N. American tourist that wanted to buy a VW to use for traveling in Europe and then ship back home. Our 1962 SO-34 Westfalia was one of these sold as "Tourist Delivery" by VW.

You can go thru the "Archives" button at top of this web page, to the "Literature" section. There scroll down to the "Miscellaneous" column, and there is the "Tourist Delivery Brochures".
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Yes, the above is the listing.

Quote:
Is this a complete set that came with each new 58/59 VW Beetle when new or are some missing?

No, I think most cars came with the owner's manual, the Distributors and Dealers book, and a service coupon booklet (not pictured)

For the European dealer listings above I agree with E&B that this car was probably a Tourist Delivery car.

The Just a Few Tips was an optional booklet not given to everyone.
There is a theory these were given only to the "dumb" owners who need more simplistic help and tips.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Malanthius wrote:
Hey everyone. I recently scored a very original Diamond grey 59 ragtop. Build was Aug 58. 75000 original miles. I dont think the motor has ever been pulled and still running on the original clutch. Runs like a sewing machine. Little old lady owned. She banged the passenger side front fender long ago. That was replaced with an early non tube type fender. The pans are perfect. Bumpers were rusty and I just threw on a set I could find locally for cheap for now. Came with all the original brochures and sales paperwork in a binder. Just amazing.

I have to agree with Everett that outside color doesn't look right. Still a very, very nice car and the literature is killer.

Your dash is just like mine, original L243 Diamond Grey, although mine is 58 with brown/grey interior.

jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
As I was looking on the tech and serial numbers section here on the samba, I came across something I hadn’t seen with body numbers. According to the document, in June of 57, it looks like the reset body numbers back to zero? I was looking at my July 15/57 built square window 58 and the body number seemed low, guess this is why! (Body numbers is the last column)

hi bwaz, what is the body number for your car? Its interesting how the body numbers appear to be pretty random in the survivor's registry, especially for the early 58 vehicles. I wonder if your car and the other July-57 car were pre-production vehicles used to verify the new sheet metal before VW committed to high volume manufacture?

EDIT: Sorry I didn't catch on that PR records were from progressive refinements, was thinking 'Private' something Embarassed I believe the PR records are for the last vehicle produced in each month, so you should adjust dates so that the list sorts correctly. Or maybe drop those from survivor registry, since we all know where to find them.

Where do you find the axle numbers? I'll try to get the transmission number now that Everett has posted a picture.

Last edited by jack1448 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Wow, nice!

It's weird I can't really tell the outside color in those pics, it almost looks like primer.
Is it really chalky?

The stock manuals and stuff are killer, I love that sort of thing
Another pic you posted

Thanks! The outside was repainted in the 70s I believe. Maybe early 80s. Little old lady banged the right front fender. I’m guessing it was repainted after that repair. That fender is later 60s. Everything else is original. I have all the original paperwork. Looks like you are right about it being a tourist delivery. I’ll post pictures of that paperwork later. From the service records it had 73000 miles in 1987. Only 2000 miles put on it since then. I believe all the rubber seals are original and still soft. It was garaged kept I would think. The guy I got it from had a body guy fix a crack in the front hood where they always crack and fix little dings and then primer it for repaint. I’m going to try and remove the primer and repaint. See how the original paint looks. May just shoot the outside Diamond grey. Restitch the the seats and be done with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Thanks! Yes the outside was repainted awhile ago. Then primered recently. Going to try and strip it down to the original paint. Yours looks like a beauty as well!

jack1448 wrote:
Malanthius wrote:
Hey everyone. I recently scored a very original Diamond grey 59 ragtop. Build was Aug 58. 75000 original miles. I dont think the motor has ever been pulled and still running on the original clutch. Runs like a sewing machine. Little old lady owned. She banged the passenger side front fender long ago. That was replaced with an early non tube type fender. The pans are perfect. Bumpers were rusty and I just threw on a set I could find locally for cheap for now. Came with all the original brochures and sales paperwork in a binder. Just amazing.

I have to agree with Everett that outside color doesn't look right. Still a very, very nice car and the literature is killer.

Your dash is just like mine, original L243 Diamond Grey, although mine is 58 with brown/grey interior.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Malanthius wrote:
Thanks! Yes the outside was repainted awhile ago. Then primered recently. Going to try and strip it down to the original paint.

I hope you have more luck than I did. I found some original paint on roof and in places like behind the running boards, but otherwise it appears that the paint was removed from the external surfaces when the car was resprayed, probably sometime in the 1990's. All inside surfaces are still the original paint, fortunately.

Its hard to match the diamond grey with modern paints, so if its still there that's a big plus. Good luck with your strip!
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

jack1448 wrote:
bwaz wrote:

hi bwaz, what is the body number for your car? Its interesting how the body numbers appear to be pretty random in the survivor's registry, especially for the early 58 vehicles. I wonder if your car and the other July-57 car were pre-production vehicles used to verify the new sheet metal before VW committed to high volume manufacture?

EDIT: Sorry I didn't catch on that PR records were from progressive refinements, was thinking 'Private' something Embarassed I believe the PR records are for the last vehicle produced in each month, so you should adjust dates so that the list sorts correctly. Or maybe drop those from survivor registry, since we all know where to find them.

Where do you find the axle numbers? I'll try to get the transmission number now that Everett has posted a picture.

Body number 1449
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

found an old thread from 2008 that sheds some light...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

There are some conflicting numbers... as the Samba shows the last car in July 1957 as serial number #1600846.

I've seen it elsewhere as the first car of August was #1600440. On this site from 2002, https://web.archive.org/web/20050114173130/http://www.squarewindowregistry.org/featured/2002-08/
It shows a square window beetle with vin 1600831, which is before the 1600846 shown on the Samba?

According to the VW brochure "what year is this"

it shows the last beetle in July 57 as being 1600439. That would make more sense if the first square window is VIN 1600440.

For Body numbers, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
shows a VIN #1603965 (august 8th 1957), with engine #1952180 (matching nr's!) with body stamp number of 9013.
myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Aug 57 sounds right for the first 1958 square rear window Beetles.

bwaz wrote:
found an old thread from 2008 that sheds some light...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

There are some conflicting numbers... as the Samba shows the last car in July 1957 as serial number #1600846.

I've seen it elsewhere as the first car of August was #1600440. On this site from 2002, https://web.archive.org/web/20050114173130/http://www.squarewindowregistry.org/featured/2002-08/
It shows a square window beetle with vin 1600831, which is before the 1600846 shown on the Samba?

According to the VW brochure "what year is this"

it shows the last beetle in July 57 as being 1600439. That would make more sense if the first square window is VIN 1600440.

For Body numbers, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
shows a VIN #1603965 (august 8th 1957), with engine #1952180 (matching nr's!) with body stamp number of 9013.

WANTED: DEET EICHEL (Modesto, CA), license plate frames and other Deet Eichel related items.

Wanted: Original VW
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

More info in the "Progressive Refinements" and other good to know stuff here:

http://www.oacdp.org/
VeeDubKev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

New to this thread. Im told I have a 58’ but I dont really know anything else got it as a bare shell with wrong fenders (for now). My number is 1805440 can anyone tell me some info from that ?
AlohaBuggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hello everyone. New beetle owner. I’m Trying to adjust my front beam but I can’t find any info on my particular adjuster style. It’s not the puma style. Right now the car sits way to low and I can’t get out of my driveway without scraping the beam. Any help is greatly appreciated! I can try to post better pictures of the adjusters if needed.

wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I can't help with the beam adjustment, but you certainly came to the right place. I do have anther question. Anyone ever heard of Classico Wheels in Florida? I was told by a Porsche guy they have extra powerful 6 volt starters and LED headlights that fit the Type 1 bugs. I'll report back to the forum when I get mine. Hope it's not a "Too good to be true" thing.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

AlohaBuggin wrote:
Hello everyone. New beetle owner. I’m Trying to adjust my front beam but I can’t find any info on my particular adjuster style. It’s not the puma style. Right now the car sits way to low and I can’t get out of my driveway without scraping the beam. Any help is greatly appreciated! I can try to post better pictures of the adjusters if needed.

You're missing a threaded piece like on the top adjuster. (odd because it's got an allen head in the middle to adjust it. In theory, you could just use threaded rod if you don't have that part. Drive the car on a few 2x4's, put a floor jack on the beam to release a bit of tension. Loosen all the nuts on the adjusters. Raise the car higher. Screw that threaded piece in, along with two nuts to hold it in place. Tighten it all up. Try as high as you can, and see where it sits.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 134 of 148

Jump to: