Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cab57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

what is the right grease nipple for a 59 front axle ?

I found this but no picture in thesamba :

N 18 530 1 - Grease nipple A 10 up to Chassis No. 3 338 657

Thanks
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
found an old thread from 2008 that sheds some light...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

There are some conflicting numbers... as the Samba shows the last car in July 1957 as serial number #1600846.

I've seen it elsewhere as the first car of August was #1600440. On this site from 2002, https://web.archive.org/web/20050114173130/http://www.squarewindowregistry.org/featured/2002-08/
It shows a square window beetle with vin 1600831, which is before the 1600846 shown on the Samba?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

According to the VW brochure "what year is this"

it shows the last beetle in July 57 as being 1600439. That would make more sense if the first square window is VIN 1600440.

For Body numbers, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
shows a VIN #1603965 (august 8th 1957), with engine #1952180 (matching nr's!) with body stamp number of 9013.

And interesting too that Progressive Refinements shows in their engine section, that a change to the oil bath cleaner August 1 showing a vin of 1600440.
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Steering column 1958-59 Reply with quote

The steering column is same up to 1957 and then it´s different 1958-1959

The only difference is the flair at the wheel side where the bushing is mounted for the steering wheel.

The steering wheel shaft is the same between 1949 to 1959-08-06 ch-nr 2528668.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Gas tank on a 59 l358 garnet red
Anyone know the correct gas tank color I’ve seen black ,anthracite and red I think the red was a resto. Thanks
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

L21 is correct color.
Cointelpro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

My 59’s back seat rails have seen better days. Didn’t know about them until reading this forum. I’m missing two of them. I’m betting they are impossible to find.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Cointelpro wrote:
My 59’s back seat rails have seen better days. Didn’t know about them until reading this forum. I’m missing two of them. I’m betting they are impossible to find.
Wolfsburgh west repops them
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
Cointelpro wrote:
Wolfsburgh west repops them

check Samba ads - here are a couple:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2343055
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Cointelpro wrote:

Probably a dumb question that I’ll get roasted for but I’ve gotta ask - what are the rails for? I’m guessing to help stiffen up the back so you can fold it down and pile luggage on it? I’ve never seen them before (my ‘59 doesn’t have them, probably removed by a PO) and now I’ll have to hunt some down for mine.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Cointelpro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:
Cointelpro wrote:

Probably a dumb question that I’ll get roasted for but I’ve gotta ask - what are the rails for? I’m guessing to help stiffen up the back so you can fold it down and pile luggage on it? I’ve never seen them before (my ‘59 doesn’t have them, probably removed by a PO) and now I’ll have to hunt some down for mine.

Not a dumb question, I was wondering the same thing. But your idea is the same I had.
berpsta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's the updated version with information from the other registry combined

How do I get my beetle details on this??
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Anyone with an original 6 volt electrical system can probably relate to the marginal starter performance. Would increasing the gauge wire on the starter help it spin faster or easier? A larger wire would carriy more volts and amps. I'm sure this question falls into the, "if it were true, someone would have already done it", category, but I have to ask. All my connections are clean and the battery is nearly new, but it almost doesn't start every time.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
berpsta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Can anybody help ID/date my indian Red beetle please

Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

August of '59 for the body. As for the pan is it possible its on a ghia pan? Looks like it'd be a Dec '57 ghia pan possibly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
berpsta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Dibaltic wrote:
August of '59 for the body. As for the pan is it possible its on a ghia pan? Looks like it'd be a Dec '57 ghia pan possibly?

I’m hoping it’s not a ghia pan otherwise I’ve bought a proper Frankenstein would the body even fit a ghia pan?
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

berpsta wrote:
Dibaltic wrote:

I’m hoping it’s not a ghia pan otherwise I’ve bought a proper Frankenstein would the body even fit a ghia pan?

I believe it would if they changed the rear crossmember that goes in front of torsion housing, and the floor pans..

Could also be a Sep 57 type 1 pan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdxeuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hi all,

Wanted to get your expertise here. 59 bug chassis with one bad pan on the passenger side, but otherwise very little rust. I think the drivers pan is fine enough, and have a Master Series grey primer and black topcoat kit, but I did a little crappy-old-primer scraping today.

I don’t see any pinholes, but definitely surface rust to maybe a little deeper under here. The underside is all rubber truckbed liner so it’s unclear what it’s like under there. I will probably get the whole thing sandblasted soon and see better, if this COVID19 outbreak subsides anytime.

Question is, based on what you see here, would you just suck it up and cut out this pan also, or will Master Series taste care of this level of rust?

Anyone not replace and then regret it later?

1959 Bug
1977 Westy Bus - sold
1968 Bug - sold
2002 Eurovan - sold
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

pdxeuro wrote:
Hi all,

Wanted to get your expertise here. 59 bug chassis with one bad pan on the passenger side, but otherwise very little rust. I think the drivers pan is fine enough, and have a Master Series grey primer and black topcoat kit, but I did a little crappy-old-primer scraping today.

I don’t see any pinholes, but definitely surface rust to maybe a little deeper under here. The underside is all rubber truckbed liner so it’s unclear what it’s like under there. I will probably get the whole thing sandblasted soon and see better, if this COVID19 outbreak subsides anytime.

Question is, based on what you see here, would you just suck it up and cut out this pan also, or will Master Series taste care of this level of rust?

Anyone not replace and then regret it later?

leave that pan alone change the other pan . Side note leave the carpet tabs alone on the drivers side. New pan don’t come with the carpet tabs.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone with an original 6 volt electrical system can probably relate to the marginal starter performance. Would increasing the gauge wire on the starter help it spin faster or easier? A larger wire would carriy more volts and amps. I'm sure this question falls into the, "if it were true, someone would have already done it", category, but I have to ask. All my connections are clean and the battery is nearly new, but it almost doesn't start every time.

There is something wrong with your system. With a fresh battery mine spins over for hours no problem. The first thing I would check is the starter bushing. If it is worn the starter will drag and make it seem like a low/dead battery.

Don
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

berpsta wrote:
Can anybody help ID/date my indian Red beetle please

Your pan is a little on the satanic side i see Shocked Shocked Evil or Very Mad or at least i hope not Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 136 of 148

Jump to: