Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

berpsta wrote:
Can anybody help ID/date my indian Red beetle please

Dibaltic wrote:
August of '59 for the body.

Dibaltic wrote:
Sep 57 type 1 pan.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
pjsavidge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I have rewired my 58, BUT, there is one wire from the turn signal switch I can't figure out.
1. 2 x wires to right side signals
2. 2 x wires to the left signals
3. 1 x wire to the flasher relay
4. 1 x ?

In the diagrams, its shows going to the flaher relay, but when I connect it, nothing/the flasher relay doesn't work.

All turn signals are working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

pjsavidge wrote:
I have rewired my 58, BUT, there is one wire from the turn signal switch I can't figure out.
4. 1 x ?

In the diagrams, its shows going to the flaher relay, but when I connect it, nothing/the flasher relay doesn't work.

In the diagrams I see one Black/Red wire going to the brake light switch. Can't tell if it's terminal 30 or 54 but it's the one off upper left of T/S switch in diagram.

Hope this helps,

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

This might help, although may be too early. I’ll do euro first.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

north american

Orangeleo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hi guys!
Just bought this barnfind in Russia, which didn't have the best in class service during USSR. Can't understand if it is the second part of 59" or the first of 60?

It has h-apron, push-door handles and doors, right side fuel filler, green ragtop (read here that it was one year only in 59) and not sure which type of hole for ragtop locker. Semaphores are welded, but they were there.
Can't check the bonnet, cause it has a part of a new one near the window. Also no metal table, the chassis number is welded and no original engine inside.

Looks like 60 model year, but what which year & month of production exactly?
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Orangeleo wrote:

Looks like 60 model year, but what which year & month of production exactly?

That's quite a project! Is there a chassis number under the rear seat?

Otherwise its going to be hard to tell given how much she's been modified over the years.
Ronix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Joined the club today.

Looking to get back to a more normal ride height and some odds and ends here and there. Air filter, trunk carpet, birth certificate (appears to be originally Inca Red), engine replaced with a 36hp from 1966 or later. Chassis number matches and appears to be in fair condition. First aircooled so roast me or toast me.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

pjsavidge wrote:
4. 1 x ?

#4. 1 wire to the brake light switch.
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Is it possible to remove the right head of a '59 engine without removing the engine from the car first? I have ZERO compression on #2 cylinder. 110, 120 & 130 on the rest.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

New problem. I removed the right rocker assembly and found the #2 intake pushrod stuck tight. I forced it out about an inch but it stopped there. This all started with "0" compression on the #2 cylinder. Aren't all the push rods supposed to be loose when the rocker is out? Any ideas as to what caused this, and next step. I'm thinking a teardown all the way to the cam.

Aloha, Rob
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

wiferdill wrote:
New problem. I removed the right rocker assembly and found the #2 intake pushrod stuck tight. I forced it out about an inch but it stopped there. This all started with "0" compression on the #2 cylinder. Aren't all the push rods supposed to be loose when the rocker is out? Any ideas as to what caused this, and next step. I'm thinking a teardown all the way to the cam.

Aloha, Rob

36hp pushrods are integral with the lifter:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
E.Tolkamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Not sure what I'm getting into but I decided to join the club and pulled this 1959 out to try and save it.

wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

The "0" compression test on #2 cylinder has lead to a complete tear down and rebuild. With all the lifter ends ragged and the cam lobes looking like my knuckle, I suspect there is a blockage in the oil gallery.
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Mine had the same cam issue and looked about exactly like that on the rearmost lifter lobe like yours too! Wonder what causes that on that particular lifter.. Lifter lobes were concaved in too, instead of convexed outward if that makes sense.
pops711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

OK guys, I need help. I have a 59' I am painting L343 Kalahari Beige. What I need your help with is, the paint code for the center of the rims (L450 Light Brown). I have looked, called, and emailed everyone and everywhere I can find that might have it, to no avail. Can anyone HELP?!?!?!?!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
59Canadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Greetings!! I've been enjoying this site for a number of years, and have finally been able to purchase my first Beetle, which happens to be a 1959 model year. I'm only now learning that the 59's are a little different than the model years before and after.

My serial number is 2347422 (body and chassis match), built on 20 March 1959 and shipped on 25 March 1959. The country of destination was Canada (Toronto) and from what I was told by the PO, it has spent its entire life in the Niagara Falls area. At some point the motor has been replaced with a later model one (D02-----) and the PO converted it to a 12 volt electrical system.

The only strange things about it is that the speedometer is in km/hr (Canada didn't adopt the metric system until the 70's), and there are no semaphores. I thought European and Canadian models had semaphores in 1959 and I can't see any obvious evidence of them having been filled in.

My main question is which wiring diagram in The Samba technical section would be the most correct for my car? I realize that the wiring harness has been replaced, and it seems to be a mix between the 1958 diagram and the 1960 one.

Thanks
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Congrats on your '59. Looks like your car was built to be exported, not to stay in Europe. I have a '59 Euro ragtop model with the semaphores, the plain blade bumpers and the speedo in Km's. I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine (a non-original '57 1200cc) and fighting off all my friends who say to "upgrade" the 6V to the 12 volt system. The only short coming of the 6 volts was during start up. I installed a relay right at the starter motor and it now starts like an F-1 race car with no problem. Can't believe what a difference it made. Good luck.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Quote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_58_USA.jpg

This is correct for your car:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_58_USA.jpg

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 137 of 148

Jump to: