Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsvwoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: my 1958 beetle Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]

Can you tell if the front fenders are originals?

Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsvwoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: 1958 beetle Reply with quote

Anything not look original???

Cheers,

Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle Reply with quote

bsvwoc wrote:

Cheers,

Peter

White wall tires

I know all radios were dealer installs but the antennae seems to be in a strange place on the quarter.

As far as your front fenders, please take pictures of the area where the running boards meet the fender.

For the rears, are there stampings between the bolt holes??
mario_0609
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle Reply with quote

bsvwoc wrote:

Even if not, i think this is a really good looking car!! Do you have any interior pictures?

Regarding the white wall tires: My b/c states that my 58 came with white wall tires right from the factory (Option 128)

* 22 Oct. '58 export bug
* 27 June 72 Westfalia Camper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsvwoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: 1958/1959 beetle Reply with quote

My cars interior. My B/C also says it came with option 128 Wide White wall tires. Many early factory parking lot photos show black cars with with walls.

Cheers,
Peter
[/img]
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My antenna was located at about the same spot, but it was a different kind. I'll be closing those holes and relocating it to a more appropriate place and more appropriate style when I get to that point (shouldn't be more than a month or so).

What kind of fuel gauge does it have? The VDO ones like found in the later bugs shouldn't fit in a '58 for sure, or early '59. There were some gauges that did fit, but the regular one was not one of them.

Also, is that a chrome bezel around the heater vent? Tell me that wasn't factory... I really don't want to track one of those down... It's square in the rust zone

A lot of things that would make it entirely original are the sorts of things that you have to be able to poke around for (wire tubes, rear fender pressings between the bolt holes, mechanical/chassis stuff, etc.). It looks original at 20 feet from what has been discussed here.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
bsvwoc wrote:

Cheers,

Peter

I know all radios were dealer installs but the antennae seems to be in a strange place on the quarter.

Just like the radios, the antennas were dealer installed also. So, where ever the technician wanted to drill the hole that day is where he put it. It could have been on the right front quarter panel or the left, could have been a 2 post antenna he installed or a single post.
mario_0609
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario_0609 wrote:

spectre6000 wrote:

-No windshield sprayers

my 58 has got windshield sprayers ...

Okay, I'd like to disagree here with myself... obviously 58s did not have windshield sprayers.

It seems that my 58 has received the very big "60s upgrade-kit" at some point in time: 60s vw replacment fenders with blinkers and 60+ shape but still with wire tubes, windshield sprayers, later taillights, antenna in 60s+factory-position, radio from '67, round pinstripe fuel gauge, pinstripe clock, passenger-side handle (although these could have been ordered optional in 58 i think)

... difficult to deceide what to keep and what not. Rolling Eyes

* 22 Oct. '58 export bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle Reply with quote

mario_0609 wrote:
Regarding the white wall tires: My b/c states that my 58 came with white wall tires right from the factory (Option 128)

Yes some cars did come with white walls but never with WIDE whites. The original WW were 1 inch wide.

bsvwoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: 58/59 beetles Reply with quote

This image is from the Oval era and you can clearly see wide white tires on the cars.
My bug came with the attenna shown in the photo.It was detached and the hole was filled in by the PO but you could detect the original spot so when I found the radio I wanted I replaced the original attenna.

The car doesn't have a fuel guage it an original VDO 6 volt clock.

Fianlly the heater outlets had chrome trim rings originally, along with the reserve tap leaver.
Wolfsburg West sells reproductions, but those in the photos are the original VW.

Any other 1958 -59 Questions?

Cheers,
Peter
bsvwoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: 58-59 beetle Reply with quote

A few other photos of the trunk area. This car was undercoated at the dealership leaving a black overspray over the trunk area. I was originally going to restore the trunk area but I may preserve it as part of the cars history.
I also added a closer photo of the dash area.

Cheers,
Peter
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2" white walls, were also available, but in my opinion are mostly seen on early 60's vw's.

DM409
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of my Moms '59 in '59. The original spare was still around until recently. The whitewall measured about 1-1/4" iirc.

We're restoring this very car right now. Great Thread!

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I will say I do like the look of the 1 1/2 WW the best.

mario_0609
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Picture DM409, and so great that you still have this 59! Do you know the exact date of production? If you say you are now restoring it - do you happen to still have the front fenders and could you post pictures of them? By this we could narrow down the time when they changed their design...

* 22 Oct. '58 export bug
DM409
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the fenders. Good thinking. And thanks for the reminder that I need to get them cleaned up and painted before they rot away.
The VIN # is 2478484. June '59 numbers I think, so would be a later car.

spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!!! That's exactly the kind of fenders we need photos of! Can you take several more photos at some of the angles seen above? It doesn't get much later in '59 than June, and if the flares are still there it confirms/disproves the flare's presence until '60 when the tubes disappeared and confirms/disproves their disappearance mid-way through '59.

I'm geeking out here...

WE NEED A COMPREHENSIVE FENDER THREAD!!!

On another note:

My '59 has two ribs, but not the number and not the "Made in Western Germany" plaque. Where the number would be is just stamped hashing.

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
mario_0609
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectre6000 wrote:

My '59 has two ribs, but not the number and not the "Made in Western Germany" plaque.

Mine doesnt have that either. I'd say that plaque was for exported cars only. And since you write in you signature that you have en euro model..?

* 22 Oct. '58 export bug
bsvwoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: 58/59 Reply with quote

I beleive I remember reading the body number stamping ended in 1958.
The "made in Germany" tag ended in 1959.
The rib stamings were changed sometime in the 1959 model.

Attached is a photo of my cars engine.
It's a factory rebuit engine installed in approx. 1965. Not everything is 1958 correct if you look closely but it is part of the cars hertiage.

Early in the cars life there was a serious electrical meltdown that I discovered when I removed the original harness. The harness was partically melted near the interior light. Approx. 1/2 was not working so the PO ran a new harness along the floor and up the heater vent near the dash. It was done neatly and serviced the car for many years.
I saved the damamged part of the harness along with PO new harness if your interested in seeing photos?
My car also had an unusual wiring tube on it's front fenders. The PO fabricated a tube from plummers copper pipe and painted the pipe to match the car.
The PO was either a plummer or electrician by trade!

Cheers,
Peter
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario_0609 wrote:
spectre6000 wrote:

My '59 has two ribs, but not the number and not the "Made in Western Germany" plaque.

Mine doesnt have that either. I'd say that plaque was for exported cars only. And since you write in you signature that you have en euro model..?

Not just Euro, German market (employee purchase program, so either Wolfsbug or, and this just occurred to me, Hanover). That makes the lack of "Made in Germany" plaque make complete sense. The missing number is still interesting. Does anyone else have a 2-ribbed '59 without the body number stamped in it? That may have been another August 1 change to go with the paint (gone by the first week of September in the home market at any rate).

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 148

Jump to: