Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Shift Rod Bushing Question Reply with quote

What year did they begin using the split plastic bushing underneath the shifter ? .

TIA,

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

rickycox wrote:
This is my 58 UK RHD Bug, previous owner had the shell bead blasted 15 years ago then stored in a barn without being primed !!!

I have no floor pan to get a BC, so what do people think the colour might have been, photos below show all the colour I can find.. to me I thought maybe Capri Blue ??

It's difficult to tell the color from your photos. However, if your car is a 58 model year, the paint is a light blue, and the paint does not have a metallic sheen to it, then Capri makes the most sense. There were only two blue colors in 58 for hard top beetles--Capri and Glacier Blue. Glacier Blue was metallic.

Another consideration would be if your car was a Standard model and not a Deluxe model. Jupiter gray has a bluish hue as well.

Given the small sample size, your best bet would be to get a birth certificate from VW. While not a perfect solution it may help.

Best of luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Your images don't show.......

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
Randoli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

My Aussie CKD is June 59.
Has fender flares, no wire tubes.
Has 3 rib panel at build plate.
Has no metal at base of drain tubes in engine bay.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: it _BIT_ me ! Reply with quote

Thanx for the reminder! .

I was a VW Mechanic for decades back during the glory years and I have the scars to prove it ! .

Now I know better and use a long telescoping wand with a strong magnet on the end to see what's lurking down there, I have found more than a few original tool kit tools this way .

I need to learn how to post pictures on SAMBA so I can share some of this raggedy old mess of a car .

Last edited by VWNate on Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Before you go sticking your hand into the black hole, shine a light and look. Make sure your tetnus shot is up to date.. I have vauge recollection of the carpet nail tips causing some mayhem.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Defroster Tubes Reply with quote

GAH ! .

I do mean thank you both for replying .

I'm going to try and wrap the slightly damaged paper tube, wish me luck .

I don't know how to weld and body works have never really been my thing .

I appreciate any and all replies, I have several threads going and get very little feedback .

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Defroster Ducts Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
Okay, I'm confused ~ my early '59 Bug has paper defroster tubes coming up the door pillar and of course, one is damaged .

How do I go about getting _all_ the old crispy paper duct out then how do I attach the bottom of the reproduction metal duct to the bottom ? .

TIA,

If you're the kind of person with the patience and skill to build a sailing ship in a bottle then you can achieve what you want through the small access hole in the footwell a few inches forward of the bottom of the A pillar. The heater channel has a short metal stub of a tube that the defrost tube slips over; once cleaned off you'd need to fish the new tube down the "black hole" area in the trunk and slide the tube onto the stub.

If you lack these skills and patience, cutting open the A pillar will have you pulling out much less hair. Wink
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

You have to cut the base of the A-pillar open. Sorry.

Don
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:54 pm    Post subject: '58/'59 Beetle Defroster Ducts Reply with quote

Okay, I'm confused ~ my early '59 Bug has paper defroster tubes coming up the door pillar and of course, one is damaged .

How do I go about getting _all_ the old crispy paper duct out then how do I attach the bottom of the reproduction metal duct to the bottom ? .

TIA,

rickycox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Ash tray plate… no I’m afraid not…

The only part with colour on is the body shown in the photos..

Classic Volkswagen & Porsche Restoration

www.wonkydonkeyemporium.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter - www.twitter.com/thewonkydonkey
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: RUST NEVER SLEEPS Reply with quote

I hate it when they do that Confused .

I *think*you're right about the color don't you have the ash tray plate ? .

rickycox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

This is my 58 UK RHD Bug, previous owner had the shell bead blasted 15 years ago then stored in a barn without being primed !!!

I have no floor pan to get a BC, so what do people think the colour might have been, photos below show all the colour I can find.. to me I thought maybe Capri Blue ??

Classic Volkswagen & Porsche Restoration

www.wonkydonkeyemporium.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter - www.twitter.com/thewonkydonkey
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:

My '59 was in fact manufactured in October of 1958 .

VW changes to the next model year in August ..

Progressive Refinements contradicts the August model year start with a comment that the '59 model year started Nov 1, 1958 with x number (Posted previous in thread)
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Previous Posts Reply with quote

I did, indeed it's very informative .

-EDIT-

I have many thoughts and questions but don't want to fill this up with too many questions whilst I'm still working on it .

I'm not sure what color my car is, I don't see "Diamond Gray" (? grey?) on any '58 ~ '59 paint chips yet I see plenty of cars that are obviously -not- the metallic green .

I also wonder why some cars have ivory steering wheels and others have a light gray(ish) color, I'm going ot get my steering wheel re finished and want to paint the mast jacket, support clamp and turn signal switch too, only once and hopefully correctly .

TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend that you go ahead and read through this entire thread from the beginning, lots of useful and interesting information 👍🏻
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Drain Tubes Reply with quote

Thanx ! .

I have forgotten so much, good to know folks here still remember .

I need to figure out how to post pictures .

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
My '59 has the 1958 drain tubes in the engine compartment .

60 model year was the first without the drain tubes, 59 still had them for sure through 7/59
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I hope I'm subscribing to this thread....

The deal with cars being titled long after they were manufactured was a serious problem, why the "maroney sticker" was mandated .

My '59 was in fact manufactured in October of 1958 .

VW changes to the next model year in August .

My '59 has the 1958 drain tubes in the engine compartment .

my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

jbannon wrote:
Further to my original post, I just received the birth certificate for my car. The BC stated the car was ordered with m-code, “M104, 72/red leatherette” interior. A quick search for “72/red leatherette” indicated the red was a deeper red than the K306 brick red color above. I should note the car is a euro L41 ragtop, which was purchased in Germany before ending up in Austria.

Check out the interior color for August 57-July 58, L41 117 cars—ragtops:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php

Any ideas? Per my59’s post, his car came with red/gray door cards? Is his red 72 or K306?

Or is the confusion a potential BC issue instead?

I’ll post some pics of the car soon. I am planning to meet with the original owner’s son, and want to see if he has any photos and stories before I share with the group.

Hi there, I saw your PM. I no nothing about euro delivery cars let alone their interior colors. The inside of my Dec. 58 is as per the 'vert I referenced earlier in the thread. I have the original sales paperwork, and there are no references to interior color or M codes.
Something to keep in mind is computer monitors, lighting and decades of sun may render the colors differently
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 148

Jump to: