Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had a sample or picture of V52 Blue, which was the color used for the ragtop material in 1958 Glacier Blue cars. I also believe 1959 Fjord Blue Cars used the same color for their ragtop material.

Also on the topic of colors, I found somewhere on the Samba that L471 Stone Beige was used for the steering wheel / seat frames / shifter / e-brake / etc. However this is a euro ragtop car and I have never seen that color used here before (Silver beige seems to be main color used in the interior in Europe). Unfortunately the PO painted everything black in the interior as well as swapped out the original seats, steering wheel, shifter, etc, so I have no reference material to choose from. Is Stone Beige and Silver Beige the same or similar colors? Can anyone confirm which color is correct for the interior?

Any help is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Yet again you help me out and I thank you .

I try to check my spam file every day .

At least I'm getting the notifications now .

Thank you Everett .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Replies Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
Thanx but that sidesteps the question of why I stopped getting replies......

Does it say "Watch Topic for replies" at the bottom?
If it's doesn't, you are not subscribed.

Otherwise, your email probably either failed or blocked it or it went to spam and you missed the notification.
I literally get 100s of emails rejects/day from members kicked back from their email providers... all of them, but some are worse than others.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Replies Reply with quote

Thanx but that sidesteps the question of why I stopped getting replies......

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion NO REPLIES Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
I'm re posting here as I stopped getting notifications and I want to read every one .

Is there a hyperlink or button I need to click ? .

TIA,

Tip for anyone: You don't need to post to get notifications, click
Watch this topic for replies
at the bottom of the thread
(Or any thread you want to watch/get emails about)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion NO REPLIES Reply with quote

I'm re posting here as I stopped getting notifications and I want to read every one .

Is there a hyperlink or button I need to click ? .

TIA,

TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the original screw terminal dimmer switch on an early 58 was branded Hella or VW?
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Darryldh wrote:

'58 blades are 450mm (9-5/8")

245mm to be exact.
Darryldh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Quote:
So assume the only thing that can make them different to an oval is if one blade is longer than the other?

The blades/arms can be either L or R in '58... they are the same. Oval is different L to R.

The blade lengths are longer in '58 than oval blades. '58 blades are 450mm (9-5/8"). Both blades are the same length.

Both Oval and '58 arms are permanently attached to the blades with rivets, and both have "thin" arms (width 4mm), whereas '59 and later have 6mm wide arms.

Due to both having thin arms, '58 can use oval bases and vice versa.

In the photo below, the top one is an OG 1959 wiper, and the bottom two are NOS 1958 wipers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

57 and earlier had the R vs L wipers as the passenger was at 45 degrees where the drivers was horizontal.

58 is a one year only wiper that fits both sides. As you mentioned its one piece arm and wiper with thin arm where in 59 the arm and wiper are two pieces up ti 64.

mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have been trying to find out what the correct wipers are for my 58... Reading through this thread I can see that the 58 wipers have the separate base and fixed thin arms and blades, the same as ovals.

Apparently oval arms are not sided, but 58s are sided... which is what makes them one year only.

Is this right? My 58 (Nov 57 built) came with a pair of broken wipers. They have the separate base, with thin arms that look to be the same... but both blades have been broken off. So assume the only thing that can make them different to an oval is if one blade is longer than the other?

Thanks, Neil

See more of our work here:
www.instagram.com/retrorestoration
www.facebook.com/retrorestos
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Got a message about rim color codes for a Glacier blue L334 car that got me started on it again. Since the L82 is a common color with codes around I will focus the question on the L30 grey-blue shown.

In looking for this code for a friend in the past I hit a dead end until I read the gas tank/arm rest support thread that used the L29 grey-blue code.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=411071

Anyone have an original paint rim to see how much different the color is? Id assume a slight bit more blue but just a guess

edit: added some pics of an original paint car

Too bad the tank didnt keep the gray so we could see the difference

looks a bit more blue

hard to tell with lighting

Would still like to see more pics if anyone has any.

One more edit:

Guess its a lot more blue!! Looks like Horizon Blue cars used the same color and luckily this book lists many wheel colors as well!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/57_color_book.php

Hope this helps out Tim.

This is an older post, but I wanted to share a my own efforts regarding sourcing classic VW paint colors (especially L30 gray-blue).

There is a company in Germany called MG Prime http://www.mg-prime.de/ that can mix classic VW paint codes. They sell paint in ready to use spray paint cans and in volume for use in paint guns. They were able to sell me L30 Gray-Blue for my car, as well as other colors for my friend’s VW projects. I interacted with a woman named Judith who spoke perfect English, and she was incredibly helpful. I am not sure what it takes to get paint shipped from Germany to the US, but this may work for some of you.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hoping someone can help. If possible can you post a photo of how the license plate bracket attaches to the license plate light / “nose” on the deck lid? The common practice is Europe is to mount the license plate directly to the deck lid with screws. I want to avoid drilling holes in my deck lid and picked up a license plate bracket from WW last time I was in the US. However, I am not sure how the bracket mounts under the license plate light / “nose” on the deck lid. Does it go under or over the seal? Any help is appreciated.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

doodahman wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm going about this right as far as where to post so please forgive me if I'm doing it wrong. I'm in the process of getting our '58 beetle restored by a very reputable shop and not cutting any corners.

The end goal is to have a car that appearance wise is very period correct but with some mechanical updates (1600 single port, later transaxle, 12V, dual circuit master cylinder). The car will be painted Agave and I've purchased the seat cover/door panel kit in green/grey from West Coast Classic Interiors.

But we are in a dilemma regarding the headliner. I know cloth is OG but we (wife and I) are not really fans of the cloth and have concerns about keeping it clean and such. I much prefer the perforated vinyl from both an appearance and maintenance standpoint.

Am I nuts? Will the potential value of the car plummet if it doesn't have the cloth headliner? Or since the car was practically ready for the boneyard should I just go for what makes us happy?

Thanks for any and all replies.

As others discussed, this is your car and the headliner can always be changed.

But since you asked…

The cloth headliner looks far superior to the vinyl. If you think the original beige color is too dark, order the light beige from Himmel Service in Germany. It will give you a lighter color that looks like the vinyl headliner, but with the feel and look of the cloth headliner. Also, keeping the cloth headliner clean is not an issue
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
VWNate wrote:

My '59 was in fact manufactured in October of 1958 .

VW changes to the next model year in August ..

Progressive Refinements contradicts the August model year start with a comment that the '59 model year started Nov 1, 1958 with x number (Posted previous in thread)

If this helps…

My euro 59 model year L243 Diamond gray car was manufactured in October 1958. It came with the green/gray interior, which was standard for 1959 model year cars. In model year 1958 cars, L243 cars came with brick red/gray interiors. In Europe, cars built after August 1958 were still registered as 1958 cars, unlike in the US. My Austrian registration lists my car as a 1958 car despite being a 1959 model year car. This may be where the confusion comes from in the Progressive refinements book.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Darryldh wrote:
Quote:
L41 BLACK
-arm rest bottoms
-horizontal armrest bracket
-chassis/suspension all inclusive
-brake fluid reservoir
-running boards
-engine tin including pulleys, heater boxes and regulator cover
-jack with vw blue base, bare oiled shaft and silver spring
-bumper brackets (body color on convertibles)
-bumper spacers
-pedal assembly
-shifter base
-axle tubes
-complete rear seat (frame and springs)
-front seat spring assemblies and track slider springs
-upper beam to body square washers
-hubcap VW logo (starting Jan 1 58; previously coordinating/or accent shade with body color)
-outer wheel rim with lemmerz trim rings (convertibles) (coordinating/or accent shade with body color on sedans)
-shift rod and steering box inspection plates (body color on convertibles)
-battery cover and strap

Does anyone know where the information about the hubcap logo came from in this case?
Does January 1, 1958 actually mean August 1, 1957?

I ask because my original hubcaps are gone, so I cannot tell what my car had. My car was made in Nov '57, and most of what I have read is that the colored logos ended in '55-'56.

Is there actually an example of a '57 or later car with colored logos?

I also heard that the dealerships may have painted them after the factory stopped, but that may not be related to this conversation.

Not sure why the date/info says 1/58, but you are correct, cap logos should for sure be black.
Darryldh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Quote:
L41 BLACK
-arm rest bottoms
-horizontal armrest bracket
-chassis/suspension all inclusive
-brake fluid reservoir
-running boards
-engine tin including pulleys, heater boxes and regulator cover
-jack with vw blue base, bare oiled shaft and silver spring
-bumper brackets (body color on convertibles)
-bumper spacers
-pedal assembly
-shifter base
-axle tubes
-complete rear seat (frame and springs)
-front seat spring assemblies and track slider springs
-upper beam to body square washers
-hubcap VW logo (starting Jan 1 58; previously coordinating/or accent shade with body color)
-outer wheel rim with lemmerz trim rings (convertibles) (coordinating/or accent shade with body color on sedans)
-shift rod and steering box inspection plates (body color on convertibles)
-battery cover and strap

Does anyone know where the information about the hubcap logo came from in this case?
Does January 1, 1958 actually mean August 1, 1957?

I ask because my original hubcaps are gone, so I cannot tell what my car had. My car was made in Nov '57, and most of what I have read is that the colored logos ended in '55-'56.

Is there actually an example of a '57 or later car with colored logos?

I also heard that the dealerships may have painted them after the factory stopped, but that may not be related to this conversation.
doodahman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

[quote]Since a choice in headliner requires no body modifications, I'd say do what makes you happy. Especially If you dont plan to sell anytime soon, any potential future buyer may grip or may not..
Quote:

TXHCBeetle, thanks for that perspective. We definitely plan to enjoy the car for many years. The fact that the headliner is not irreversible is well taken. In addition the car will be equipped with the early 60’s padded visors (not a fan of the tinted transparent correct style) so I think you can tell which way we’re going.
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

doodahman wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm going about this right as far as where to post so please forgive me if I'm doing it wrong. I'm in the process of getting our '58 beetle restored by a very reputable shop and not cutting any corners.

The end goal is to have a car that appearance wise is very period correct but with some mechanical updates (1600 single port, later transaxle, 12V, dual circuit master cylinder). The car will be painted Agave and I've purchased the seat cover/door panel kit in green/grey from West Coast Classic Interiors.

But we are in a dilemma regarding the headliner. I know cloth is OG but we (wife and I) are not really fans of the cloth and have concerns about keeping it clean and such. I much prefer the perforated vinyl from both an appearance and maintenance standpoint.

Am I nuts? Will the potential value of the car plummet if it doesn't have the cloth headliner? Or since the car was practically ready for the boneyard should I just go for what makes us happy?

Since a choice in headliner requires no body modifications, I'd say do what makes you happy. Especially If you dont plan to sell anytime soon, any potential future buyer may grip or may not..
doodahman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 148

Jump to: