Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

pops711 wrote:
OK guys, I need help. I have a 59' I am painting L343 Kalahari Beige. What I need your help with is, the paint code for the center of the rims (L450 Light Brown). I have looked, called, and emailed everyone and everywhere I can find that might have it, to no avail. Can anyone HELP?!?!?!?!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
you can have Tammy at Tamco mix you up that code
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Anyone know where I can buy a correct 59 lower apron panel I hit up wolf parts he told me his are for ovals I can make it work. Kinda pricey endeavor. Or I can take a torch and hammer this out .
Wolfsburg west sells the standard panel, Thanks
pops711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
pops711 wrote:
OK guys, I need help. I have a 59' I am painting L343 Kalahari Beige. What I need your help with is, the paint code for the center of the rims (L450 Light Brown). I have looked, called, and emailed everyone and everywhere I can find that might have it, to no avail. Can anyone HELP?!?!?!?!

you can have Tammy at Tamco mix you up that code

No good They do not have the formula. Still looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chase1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy a correct 59 lower apron panel I hit up wolf parts he told me his are for ovals I can make it work. Kinda pricey endeavor. Or I can take a torch and hammer this out . Wolfsburg west sells the standard panel, Thanks

https://www.kaeferland-shop.de/karosserie/blechteile/reparaturbleche/reserveradwanne/

Still pricey but the most correct that I have found.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Chase1 wrote:
hsosa1 wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy a correct 59 lower apron panel I hit up wolf parts he told me his are for ovals I can make it work. Kinda pricey endeavor. Or I can take a torch and hammer this out . Wolfsburg west sells the standard panel, Thanks

https://www.kaeferland-shop.de/karosserie/blechteile/reparaturbleche/reserveradwanne/

Still pricey but the most correct that I have found.
thank you !
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Nope, sorry. Not correct. Same as Wolfparts.

I did this job on my '59 but ended up using the Wolfparts panel because it was the best I could find. It fit so perfectly it brought a tear to this flinty old eye. Not correct but will do the job.

Don
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Orangeleo wrote:
Hi guys!
Just bought this barnfind in Russia, which didn't have the best in class service during USSR. Can't understand if it is the second part of 59" or the first of 60?

It has h-apron, push-door handles and doors, right side fuel filler, green ragtop (read here that it was one year only in 59) and not sure which type of hole for ragtop locker. Semaphores are welded, but they were there.
Can't check the bonnet, cause it has a part of a new one near the window. Also no metal table, the chassis number is welded and no original engine inside.

Looks like 60 model year, but what which year & month of production exactly?
this would be a 60 as far I know 59 came with pull handles
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Garnet Red Wheel colors and Radial Whitewall Tires Reply with quote

Stevo Wide 5 wrote:
myvolks1 wrote:
Stevo,

Can you post a close up pic of one of your new painted wheels so we can see the whitewall tires close up?

Stevo Wide 5 wrote:
myvolks1 wrote:
Wheels and tires look really good,

Can you post some close up pics of your new painted wheels and your new whitewall tires. I am restoring my Garnet Red 59.

By any chance do you have any info on the paint colors that were used to paint your wheels? Some info I could take to a paint store to have the paint mixed for my wheels?

Can you post a Link from Coker on the whitewalls you went with?

Thanks,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coker-Classic-Nostalgia-Ra...mp;vxp=mtr

They matched the paint from my og spare

With flash!

No Flash!
is the right color combo on the wheel . Im referring to the off white color anyone know ?
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
mario_0609 wrote:
Regarding the white wall tires: My b/c states that my 58 came with white wall tires right from the factory (Option 128)

Yes some cars did come with white walls but never with WIDE whites. The original WW were 1 inch wide.

. Anyone know where I can get a thin wall white wall
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Garnet Red Wheel colors and Radial Whitewall Tires Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
is the right color combo on the wheel . Im referring to the off white color anyone know ?

The two colors needed for the wheels on a Garnet Red car are...

L81 Parchment White

And....L359 Ruby

hsosa1 wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a thin wall white wall

A bunch of options to choose from.
https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styles/whitewall-tires.html?shop_width_bias_ply=3745
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Garnet Red Wheel colors and Radial Whitewall Tires Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
hsosa1 wrote:

The two colors needed for the wheels on a Garnet Red car are...

L81 Parchment White

And....L359 Ruby

hsosa1 wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a thin wall white wall

A bunch of options to choose from.
https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styles/whitewall-tires.html?shop_width_bias_ply=3745
thanks
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Vinyl seat covers. Looking back through this thread, as I very often do, I wondered if anybody has reached a conclusion over the years of where to obtain the most correct seat covers or seat cover material (vinyl). My Garnet Red car's driver's seat (grey/brick red) is definitely beyond saving. Any suggestions?
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

In 2005 I brought an interior kit for my '64 bug to a local shop and asked them to install it. He struggled with every piece and suggested next time to just let him do it from scratch. The parts making up the kit were close, but made the job much harder. That supplier is no longer in business. The variety of fabrics now days is infinite and a good shop may be able to give you exactly what you want.......Even the "correct" look your going for.
Chase1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Nope, sorry. Not correct. Same as Wolfparts.

Don

If that was a swipe at my suggestion, I didn't say it was correct. Having not directly purchased from Wolfparts, it was the most correct new manufacture panel I could find; except for NOS OE parts. I would agree though, a visual inspection of both panels, it appears that Wolfparts is the supplier/manufacturer. Might as well get it from the Wolfparts, it is a bit cheaper, barring shipping and taxes.

GL
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Woops! I did not mean to offend.

Don
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

it's interesting that as I flip back and forth between forums, that I find for my early 58 beetle, I tend to more go through the 53-57 Oval window section. Looking at a post for a 67 with a 1500 motor, has little to do with my 58. Maybe another division of forums to be more 36 horse or smaller window cars is in order? Other than an oval window, there's not a ton of similarities from a 53 beetle to a 57. Motor is different, fenders different, no semaphores, different seats, vent glass and frames... just an observation that keeping years with more things in common may help make searching for help and ideas easier
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

After many many months of stalking the 58/59 forum, I finally found a car that I wanted to share with the community. First, many thanks to all of the amazing contributions to this forum--they really helped and motivated my decision to find a 58/59 Beetle!

This is an Austrian (Euro) beetle, and the original color was Diamond Gray with the green/gray leatherette interior. My VW birth certificate lists the manufacturing date on 31 October 1958 and the car was delivered to Salzburg on 03 November 1958. I am the fourth owner.

I plan to return this car to its former stock condition and glory!

The birth certificate designates the following "special configurations":

M018 - Larger reflector in brake and indicator light
M134 - Upholstery Leatherette
M196 - Asymetrical headlamps

The car has its original pan, engine, and transaxle, and the original seat covers for the front and rear seats are buried under those blue seat covers. Unfortunately, the original door panels are long gone. The car came with an original locking shifter-base and an Akkord radio that needs restoring. You can also see that the PO owner screwed and riveted all kinds of things under the dash, and added the towel bar over riders and hella (70s or 80s) lights in front.

Since taking these photos, I have gutted and stripped the car and will send it out to get media blasted and then off to paint and body soon. I also plan to strip and powder coat the pan while the body work is being done. It appears the car was hit in the front driver side fender at some point, and while the fender was replaced with a German, year-correct fender, the front quarter panel needs to be replaced with the correct year-specific front quarter panel. While the car's current front fenders are German metal, and have the correct headlight bucket with metal wire tube, they may be post-June 1959 fenders--there is no running board bulge. What style front fender would be specific to an October/November 1958 beetle?

The front beam also appears to have been replaced, and I am curious to know if someone can explain the steering stabilizer between the upper and lower torsion tube in the picture I posted (the bar leading out of the picture frame is an aftermarket towing bar.) It's a link-pin beam, but it has the mount on top for the post 60's steering stabilizer, which I know wasn't used in 58/59. In addition to the added stabilizer, the steering box doesn't seem to be correct as well.

Unfortunately a PO owner removed the original taillights and added both the later front turn signal and rear taillights. Austrian law mandated taillight and turn signal changes in the 60s, and a lot of cars lost their original lights as a result. I plan on taking the car back to stock and have already purchased taillights from a 1959 beetle. Does anyone know what "M018 - Larger reflector in brake and indicator light" are?

Being a car that endured over 6 decades of Austrian winters, there is rust in the usual places and a few unusual places, but overall the car appears quite solid. I will have a better idea once the paint is removed...

Finally, I have posted a picture of the engine. Like everything else on the car, the PO made modifications.

I would really appreciate any comments / suggestions on what is right or wrong with the car from the pictures provided, especially the engine. Also, I am torn on whether to keep the Akkord radio given it needs to be restored/refurbished, and was wondering if there was someone on the Samba who could restore these radios.

Looking forward to your comments!

stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Welcome to the 58/59 club. Looks like a pretty straight car to start with on your resto journey.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Many thanks, Stale Air. I will make sure to document the restoration as it develops. I am looking forward to getting another 58/59 back on the road!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Quote:
Welcome to the 58/59 club. Looks like a pretty straight car to start with on your resto journey.

Ditto!

Your car looks really good so far. The engine looks all correct to me just painted real pretty like. Keep posting, this looks like a fun one to me.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 138 of 148

Jump to: