Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement Engine Case Post?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Replacement Engine Case Post? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Im rebuilding a 1500cc single relief engine and when i went to put the two case halves together, I noticed one of the smaller 8mm posts was stripped. I removed the post but now im having problems finding a replacement. Can anyone point me to where i can get a new bolt? Here is a picture:

Also, I know its not all assembled i was just torquing it down to make sure the crankshaft spun nicely before i hung all the crap on it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Engine Case Post? Reply with quote

Buggo wrote:
I noticed one of the smaller 8mm posts was stripped. I removed the post but now im having problems finding a replacement. Can anyone point me to where i can get a new bolt?

It's not a bolt, it's a stud. If the stud is what was bad, you want an 8mm x 1.25mm stud of same length.
Like this https://www.homedepot.com/s/8mm%2520stud?NCNI-5

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=zm_...5zY14kCl40

If the case threads are bad, best to repair permanently like with a Time-Sert or solid threaded insert, or maybe with a 8mm x 10mm step stud.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2005 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Buggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Engine Case Post? Reply with quote

ok great. are home depot grade studs good enough? or should i go to an auto parts store?

bug
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Engine Case Post? Reply with quote

You can always remove a stud from an old scrap case. If you do request one from a parts store, calling it a “post” may cause some confusion.

Also, torquing the crank alone in the case to check clearances is good practice.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Engine Case Post? Reply with quote

A stud from an old case would be the ideal thing. Not sure of the length you need...generator stand stud may work also and replace it the non grade 8.
72 type 1
73 type 1
72 Squareback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Engine Case Post? Reply with quote

Buggo wrote:
ok great. are home depot grade studs good enough? or should i go to an auto parts store?

bug

At stores like O'Reilly and Autozone, you may also find such metric stud in the "Help"/Dorman section.

Most Ace Hardware have tons more metric stuff than Home Depot/Lowes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2005 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Engine Case Post? Reply with quote

You can put a time sert if case threads are stripped . Also what was it torqued to .
Buggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Engine Case Post? Reply with quote

case threads are fixed. i took them to my machinist and he fixed it up. i meant to torque it to 16 but the wrench was set to 30 and thats how i broke it. I know i f__ked up. i figured this part would be pretty easy to replace. i guess ill head down to orileys auto and see if i can replace it or order a replacement through them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: