Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Matching Numbers
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Matching Numbers Reply with quote

I'm new to Bugs. My question is: When a car is "matching numbers", does that mean that the engine, body and the frame all have the exact same numbers stamped on them? I thought I have seen some ads say "matching numbers" and then display the number but they don't match. If matching numbers means that the number stamped on engine, body and frame match some other document or reference, please let me know how to look up the resource to make sure.
Thanks very much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers Reply with quote

im not a purist, so im sure one will chime in. i think typically its body and pan that match. then engine number is just an engine number. only way to verify it is the original engine to the car is via a birth certificate. but you can look up the engine number in the tech section here and it will tell you the approx build date
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers Reply with quote

As stated above, matching numbers generally means the engine, body and pan are original to the car. Body and pan numbers will be the same. Engine numbers use different coding. An original engine can only be verified by ordering a birth certificate and specifically requesting that the provided engine serial number be verified.
60ragtop Premium Member
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers Reply with quote

Numbers matching is different among everybody.
Beetle numbers chart

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

" Even when all the experts agree they may well be mistaken." Bertrand Russell
[email protected] wrote:
aftermarket shit that always needs a tweek eats time

Eaallred wrote:
People are over analyzing.......(insert your problem here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
As stated above, matching numbers generally means the engine, body and pan are original to the car. Body and pan numbers will be the same. Engine numbers use different coding. An original engine can only be verified by ordering a birth certificate and specifically requesting that the provided engine serial number be verified.

I was going to say you can extrapolate probably pretty darn close to what day a car was made and do the same for the engine, but it apparently isn't uncommon for the engine to be made up to a month or so prior to the car. Now if the engine number dates after the car was made, I don't see this as being possible unless there was a problem with the engine prior to leaving the factory and it was replaced?
Manx Clone (Bert)
1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop (Blue Barry)

“The sky is falling the sky is falling” - Chicken Little
ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers Reply with quote

Where do I order a "birth certificate?"
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers Reply with quote

ienjoyvws wrote:
I'm new to Bugs. My question is: When a car is "matching numbers", does that mean that the engine, body and the frame all have the exact same numbers stamped on them? I thought I have seen some ads say "matching numbers" and then display the number but they don't match. If matching numbers means that the number stamped on engine, body and frame match some other document or reference, please let me know how to look up the resource to make sure.

As other people said - Body and pan will match.
Body tag up front, pan VIN # is under the back seat

Engine is a different sequence of numbers but will be from the same month/year as the VIN #, according to these charts on the site:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

ienjoyvws wrote:
Where do I order a "birth certificate?"

Information thread on the site:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
rcroane wrote:

I was going to say you can extrapolate probably pretty darn close to what day a car was made and do the same for the engine, but it apparently isn't uncommon for the engine to be made up to a month or so prior to the car. Now if the engine number dates after the car was made, I don't see this as being possible unless there was a problem with the engine prior to leaving the factory and it was replaced?

To be more clear, the actual engine # will match up very close to the VIN # in the charts.
Every "original" car I've looked up could almost always be calculated down to the same week of the month and year in the charts here.
The exception would be cars that were made around the month change.
Example: A car with a VIN in early March might have an engine with a date that falls at the end of the previous month - February.

The actual engine production date, meaning the casting dates on the 2 engine case halves is earlier, of course.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers Reply with quote

Look very closely at a 'matching numbers' VW as the data for what goes with what is out in the public, since redacted by VW

I have no doubt that unscrupulous people can renumber cars to match birth certificates.

You can now only confirm engine numbers to chassis via VW, but the cows have left the barn already.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers Reply with quote

To the OP....FYI, birth certificates take 6-8 months to receive.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers Reply with quote

Only other way to see if it is matching numbers is to have the original sales receipt for the car. I was lucky that the PO was a records keeping person, so I know what is original and what is not.

From what I understand about birth certs is they no longer tell you the engine number but can confirm if the number you supply matches.

When you start down this rabbit hole, you then start running into date coded parts, like wheels, the speedometer, etc.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
To the OP....FYI, birth certificates take 6-8 months to receive.

Laughing - and crying - because former employer Henkel of Germany has taken over 3 full months trying to correct a box on my 2017 W2 that should not have been checked.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2005 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: