Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick jack and a type 1?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a quick jack? If so how are you guys using it to lift the car? Best spots to put the rubber blocks? What model did you get? Any pics would be great? Would it be ok to use the pan rails to lift it up? I don’t see how the quick jack can get to the standard jacking points. Front beam and rear torsion bars. Thanks!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Here is a search for "Floor Jack" and "Titles Only" box checked so not too many results to go thru. Those will show you best jack points places.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

As for which model of floor jack (if that is what you are asking about), too many out there that come and go. What you really want to make sure is how much the jack will lift and how much reach will it pump up. If the jack is a bit low at first, one can put a chunk of wood on top of it.

Would suggest one that is not too big or heavy. The first aluminum Chinese made one we got has worked great. Wish we had bought two at the time of that model and make, because when looking for another it turned out to be NLA. Did find one of a different make and model, but heavier, so more difficult to pack up in one of our buses.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Here is a search for "Floor Jack" and "Titles Only" box checked so not too many results to go thru. Those will show you best jack points places.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

As for which model of floor jack (if that is what you are asking about), too many out there that come and go. What you really want to make sure is how much the jack will lift and how much reach will it pump up. If the jack is a bit low at first, one can put a chunk of wood on top of it.

Would suggest one that is not too big or heavy. The first aluminum Chinese made one we got has worked great. Wish we had bought two at the time of that model and make, because when looking for another it turned out to be NLA. Did find one of a different make and model, but heavier, so more difficult to pack up in one of our buses.

You can grow strong by buying a big honkin steel floor jack, and consuming Wonder Bread. Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing Confused Shocked Very Happy

Saves on gym membership fees also, win win!

Bug On!

ps to lift the car by the side pan rail, pick a point next to the stock pick up and rear fender, pad with a block of wood, cardboard or rags. that is a strong point. Id avoid any other place along the pan side edge, such as under the door opening as it may not be as strong as that rear spot next to the factory lift point.

Good Luck !

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jamesrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I should have been a bit more clear.

I am looking at a quick jack. Www.quickjack.com to get rid of the floor jack and jack stands.

From the looks of it, not sure how it will lift a pan based car up.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

jamesrg wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I should have been a bit more clear.

I am looking at a quick jack. Www.quickjack.com to get rid of the floor jack and jack stands.

From the looks of it, not sure how it will lift a pan based car up.

Ok one of them I see. if the lifts rails extend enough width and lengthwise, or can be modified to do so, Id think then pick up near the two stock points, and way forward near the curved part of the frame inside the front wheel area Of course check balance. But if you add blocks the torsion tubes front and rear are best lift points, unless of course the job includes front beam removal! Crying or Very sad

Im am not too sure of the utility of this lift, at least for my use.

The shortcomings for me...

a lift heights is not special. My floor jack can do that.
the lift mechanism is huge, storage issue, difficult to move around, and it blocks getting access under parts of car.
Id still insist on four jackstands in the corners before I got under it Dont think this lift eliminates the requirement for stands, its locking mechanism breaks, youre flat a a pancake, same as a floor jack. You NEED jackstands.
It is rare to need both ends of car raised at once for me, except for the rare tire rotation. usually its an axle or single wheel I need to lift.
I can get a decent floor jack for under $200. I have other needs for the over one grand Ill save. (ie I am, poor, frugal and saving for a paint job on the Ghia).
adjusting for different cars may be time consuming, I have six different makes of cars, from raised trucks to 4 inch ground clearence sports cars, will this easily transfer use?

The benefits would to me be if...

I want faster wheel changes, all four up and down at once because I track race the Bug and go thru tires fast. I change wheels for different tracks. My pit crew will use this rack at the track.
I have a spare garage bay or other room to store the stand in when not in use.
I have a helper when I need to move the stand.
I never intend to move it, and I dont mind tripping over it becuase I have so much free space, that I can avoid it.
I only have a certain model of car I intend to lift, non Bug cars may require special adaptors or readjustments.
I have an air storage tank so I can operate lift if power is out, or compressor takes a dump.
I dont intend to need free and clear access under the middle section of the Bug.
I like cool gadgets, even if I dont really need them, they are cool!
I have four jackstands, as I wont use it if not supported by four stands.

So the short answer again, get the spread and stretch dimensions of lift top arms, and measure your Bug to check fit. The seller might even have the answer, email 'em.

Bug On, As they say, what comes up, must go down, then it should be driven away!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
legbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

I'll followup here as someone with a QJ system.

For any car I've used it on (from a 911, to a VW Golf to Nissan Pathfinder and even an MK1 Scirocco) it works great. If you have any cars with pinch welds the pinch weld adapter pads are great. I also have the Motorcycle adapter and that is great as well.

For a VW Beetle, I still haven't found the best way to lift it. But I'm gong to spend some time the next few days working on it. I believe they will need to be turned 90 degrees to work. But they may be too long for that (they'd bump the front wheels, at least for the front jack points. But it may be possible to get it up some, remove the front wheels and then get the QJ under there.

The Quick Jack IS very stable when used properly on most cars. No need for jack stands as well.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

I’ve been looking at getting one of these. But I’m having a hard time finding evidence of anyone who has actually used it on a Beetle, Ghia or Type 3… So, just wondering if anyone has had that experience or if you figured out how to use them oriented differently as mentioned above. I’m wondering if I can use the rear torsion tubes and the area with the two bolts on the outer ends of the Napoleon hat as jacking points.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
legbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Since I have one, I can say so far I haven't tried the QJ with my beetles.

But...

I've been watching Bring a Trailer for beetles for quite a while. One great thing is all the great underbody pics and where they place the 2 post lift points.

That makes me think I can do it. So when things thaw out here in MN and I wake up my babies, I'll give it a better look and report back if I find anything.

For any other cars, though, the QJ is great. I have a 911, mk1 rocco, and golf r and they all work great. even my wife's suv fits on it.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

legbuh wrote:

But...

I've been watching Bring a Trailer for beetles for quite a while. One great thing is all the great underbody pics and where they place the 2 post lift points.

That makes me think I can do it. So when things thaw out here in MN and I wake up my babies, I'll give it a better look and report back if I find anything.

For any other cars, though, the QJ is great. I have a 911, mk1 rocco, and golf r and they all work great. even my wife's suv fits on it.

You said almost the same thing in your post back in October, except at that time you said you'd work on lifting your Bug in the next few days.

Did you forget you already posted to this thread? Smile
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

The tire store I went to about five years ago used a setup very similar to the quick jack when they installed my new tires. It seemed to work quite well with my Bug.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

legbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
legbuh wrote:

But...

You said almost the same thing in your post back in October, except at that time you said you'd work on lifting your Bug in the next few days.

Did you forget you already posted to this thread? Smile

Nope.. life happens. Kids growing up takes a lot of time. Smile I never needed to do any real work, but I need to do a tranny mount on my 64 soon so that may be the thing that pushes me to figure it out.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. However, that pic looks like a floor mounted scissors lift. I’m really just looking for information on how the QuickJack fits.

Legbuh, I noticed in one of the videos I watched, the instructions did show that you could orient them 90 degrees from normal as you mentioned, however, when I look at a pdf of the instructions from QuickJack, that page no longer shows that orientation as an option. Just wondering if that is now not recommended… I guess that is a question for QJ themselves though. When you do get around to using it, please post your results. Meantime, I may just go ahead and buy it anyway.

legbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

They did a video on it a while back (check out their youtube channel). I think they found too many people having issues doing them 90 degrees. But it may still work on our super light cars.

But like I said, I've seen many posts on BAT where the 2 post lifts are on different jack points than the hard core beetle folk say you can ONLY use. I make a comment there now and then asking if it's ok since the vw people there are super picky about fuel filters in the engine bay, what year/engine/accessories a car has, but no one ever says "hey!!! you can't lift there!!"

BTW, Ed China left fuel filter in the engine bay on WD. Wink But I still took mine out.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Any updates? Has anyone successfully used this on a type 1?
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

I bought one, and have used it on a Beetle and a Squareback. It doesn’t fit perfectly but can be used if the car is in good shape. The side to side orientation didn’t really work so I used it front to back. I used the high rubber blocks on the rear, placing them under the ends of the torsion bars where the caps are bolted on. That leaves the front end sitting roughly under the A pillar. To help distribute the weight, I ran a 2x6 on top of the low blocks up front diagonally. This distributed some of the weight to the tunnel, and with the slight flex in the 2x6, the bulk of the weight rested under the A pillars. Using a 2x6 sounds dodgy, but it’s really not (that said - you govern yourself accordingly). If it fails completely the worst that will happen is the weight will all rest on the floor under the A pillars.

boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
I bought one, and have used it on a Beetle and a Squareback. It doesn’t fit perfectly but can be used if the car is in good shape. The side to side orientation didn’t really work so I used it front to back. I used the high rubber blocks on the rear, placing them under the ends of the torsion bars where the caps are bolted on. That leaves the front end sitting roughly under the A pillar. To help distribute the weight, I ran a 2x6 on top of the low blocks up front diagonally. This distributed some of the weight to the tunnel, and with the slight flex in the 2x6, the bulk of the weight rested under the A pillars. Using a 2x6 sounds dodgy, but it’s really not (that said - you govern yourself accordingly). If it fails completely the worst that will happen is the weight will all rest on the floor under the A pillars.

Thanks. Do you have a picture of this arrangement?

Do you find it's a big improvement over a nice jack and stands?
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

aberg83 wrote:
bobnorman wrote:

I'll get a pic next time I set it up. Yes, it is definitely an improvement, it does take a little bit of messing around to make sure everything is lined up correctly before you raise the car, but once it is ready there's something very satisfying about pressing that button and watching the car go up. You can't beat the height and access either. Last weekend I did all new tie rod ends on the Squareback and having both front tires off the ground while having the height to work underneath was a joy.

Plus, when you are done letting it down is as easy as raising it slightly, disengaging the locks on either side, then hitting the down button - about 20 seconds. As you likely know, jacking the car to remove four jackstands is quite the pain comparatively.

boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
aberg83 wrote:
bobnorman wrote:

I'll get a pic next time I set it up. Yes, it is definitely an improvement, it does take a little bit of messing around to make sure everything is lined up correctly before you raise the car, but once it is ready there's something very satisfying about pressing that button and watching the car go up. You can't beat the height and access either. Last weekend I did all new tie rod ends on the Squareback and having both front tires off the ground while having the height to work underneath was a joy.

Plus, when you are done letting it down is as easy as raising it slightly, disengaging the locks on either side, then hitting the down button - about 20 seconds. As you likely know, jacking the car to remove four jackstands is quite the pain comparatively.

I see you're in Nfld. Did you buy it at Partsource? They have it on for $1299 CDN right now..
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

aberg83 wrote:
bobnorman wrote:
aberg83 wrote:
bobnorman wrote:

I see you're in Nfld. Did you buy it at Partsource? They have it on for $1299 CDN right now..

That's a good deal. I paid $1499 at Canadian Tire. They did have it listed at $1299 at Costco online at the time, but when I ordered it they cancelled my order and said they no longer carried it.

legbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

I actually got it to work too on my 64 (haven't tried it on my 79 convertible yet).

I used the pinch weld blocks on the rear jack points, and the pinch weld blocks on the front. It lined up right where it starts to curve behind the front tires.

The QJs were a little angled in to make this work. I adjusted the blocks as far as I could to make the curve as little as possible.

I lifted very slowly and tested along the way. It worked very well but it didn't feel as stable as if the QJs were parallel.

It almost got high enough where you could get the motor out.

I would like to see your pictures too. I should have snapped mine while it was up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: