Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Beetle, leaking OIL from axle boot -HELP
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Yesterday 2:41 pm    Post subject: 67 Beetle, leaking OIL from axle boot -HELP Reply with quote

I jacked up my '67 today to rotate the tires. When I jacked the left side up, somehow the boot got pinched on one side of the transmission housing and tore a hole in the boot. It leaked a few ounces of oil. Looked like regular motor oil, not red like transmission fluid.
I am buying a new axle boot to repair it, but I am at a loss with the oil coming out of the boot. Any help appreciated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Beetle, leaking OIL from axle boot -HELP Reply with quote

It's gear oil from your differential. Heavier weight than motor oil. It seeps around the axle, which is why there's a rubber boot there.

To prevent the pinch, I use a large nut below the spring plate and bottom lip so when I jack it up the axle doesn't drop all the way down. Prevents the pinch and leak.

While you're under there, change your gear oil in your diff. It's a 17mm Allen bit on the side where you fill it up. Loosen it first before you take out the two drain plugs on bottom. Then use a little pump to pump it in the fill home until it starts to come out the fill hole.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Beetle, leaking OIL from axle boot -HELP Reply with quote

PS. I always put my axle boot on with the seam at a 45* angle instead of at the top. That takes the pressure off the seam which has less give (and metal screws) if the axle does get dropped all the way down when jacking it up.

Some may or may not think it matters, but it made sense to me when the old guy I learned from told me. He's also the one that told me about the big nut under the spring plate. I've never had issues with it following his advice.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Beetle, leaking OIL from axle boot -HELP Reply with quote

Iím a bit astounded that a 14 year+ member with nearly 4000 posts wasnít aware that the transaxle didnít have red transmission fluid in it.
Manx Clone (Bert)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Beetle, leaking OIL from axle boot -HELP Reply with quote

VW Addict wrote:
Looked like regular motor oil, not red like transmission fluid.
I am buying a new axle boot to repair it, but I am at a loss with the oil coming out of the boot. Any help appreciated!

Red is "Automatic Transmission Fluid" AKA "ATF". Since you do not have an automatic transmission, you must shift from gear to gear by the big lever. So because of this you have a manual transaxle that needs the proper weight gear oil.

Transaxle because the transmission and differential/rear axle is all packaged up into one transaxle case.

In the common automobiles of the past the transmission was right behind the engine in the front of the automobile. The differential was back in the center of the rear axle. With a drive shaft between differential the transmission.

Do you have the VW Official Service Manual?? If not get a copy for your model & year. If so, do read it about the boot replacement so you can do the job right the first time. Boot seam does much better at more of a 9 or 3 O,clock position on the axle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: