Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Seat Shortage
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstephens28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Rear Seat Shortage Reply with quote

I've been looking for a nice mid-63 to 67 deluxe rear seat for some time. It seems like middle seats come up for sale far more often these days...wasn't it supposed to be the other way around? Just wondering if anyone else was having the same problem...I haven't been to a swap meet in a while so maybe they are all there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Shortage Reply with quote

I think you're correct. There used to be a good amount of rear seats around because they were still in busses that we bought to part out thinking they were not worth building. Now almost any bus is worth building and so not many seats at all come up for sale, but for a much longer time middle seats were hard to find, so they were found they were hoarded and sold when someone needs some cash, and that is still going on. But rears have dried up now as well. I remember 15 years ago I had an og como green deluxe rear seat with pretty good vinyl at a local vw swap meat, asking $75 for it, at the end of the day rather than hauling it home I sold it for $25. they just weren't worth hoarding years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mstephens28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Shortage Reply with quote

Interesting way to look at it...makes sense. I was thinking that many middle seats were removed early in the life of a bus for space reasons (and then hoarded). While a lot of rear seats were left in the bus to rust out over the years, as mine did. I wonder if the price of rear seats is going to match those of middle ones soon. As of now they still seem to be about half as much, in the rare cases when they come up for sale.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Shortage Reply with quote

Anyone ever use this guy? No seller feedback.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1815159

I would like to get a rear for my 57 Kombi.
WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Shortage Reply with quote

Never used him but judging by the care and skill that goes into a reproduction that specialized makes those guys score very high on my admiration scale.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Shortage Reply with quote

I'd like to compare OEM against any reproduction seat before I truted it to hold my loved ones.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Shortage Reply with quote

probably going to get flamed here, but how different are bay rear seats?

those frames look pretty dam close to the ones that I did for my '70

sorry for the crappy pic, I will look for more if you want to try and match them

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my rear seat center leg was boxed in to fit the ECU...but other than that it looks the same to me

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Shortage Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
probably going to get flamed here, but how different are bay rear seats?

the middle leg is different year to year, and the bay seat is slightly narrower. They can fit the bill with some mods, but aren't an exact fit
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Shortage Reply with quote

Agree with most of the above. You can still find rear seats at swaps here in SoCal, not in great numbers though.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: