Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Performance Chassis for T1
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Anyone have any pics of the steering shaft to steering column set up for use of this in a beetle?

rack and pinion offset and angle looks to be pretty sever.

how much of the firewall has to be cut away and what links are needed to the steering column and shaft?
Richard Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Richard Davies wrote:

Thanks.

Looks like a super beetle universal shaft?
Richard Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Yes, I think it's the shorter SB shaft used 1971-1974. Don't remember for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoghead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

I'm considering the RHD iMohr front end
Any latest experience from those that have both fitted, and driven one?
icanfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know (as relevant to this thread) that I've got the front and rear Imohr kits that I'm currently installing on my type1 based fraken-build.

I'd done a bunch of research/outreach on all of the "Various" options and companies available for my goals (A-Arm front and possible A-Arm rear) and pulled the trigger on the following:

Front End

Rear End

I am happy to answer any questions, discuss reasons for my decision or share my experience with the team at Imohr from the Initial Inquiry through to the process of delivery.

The current summary is simply as follows:
A top-notch experience from start to finish with a solid setup of very high-quality parts and support from them the entire time. They added custom parts, adjusted my order to fit my needs, and handled the entire transaction with the utmost professionalism.

Due to the unique nature of my build, there is some custom fab and modification required (both to my parts and to theirs) but I am most certainly not running a "stock pan" or chassis set up so this was expected at the onset. Everything else has been flawless fitment and finish leaving me more than satisfied.

Feel free to ask any questions here or via DM.
Pics and build coming soon.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

and you are local to me! I just went with a new adjustable front end on my buggy, but I looked at that Brazilian option since the Eyeball Engineering front end is no longer available. I don't know if I'd pull the trigger but it would look cool on the front of a beach buggy so I'm tempted every fall to go there.

I'm looking forward to your pictures. Eye candy and I may be able to determine if it would fit and what I would have to do for steering. With a Mini-T mine is not stock even with the stock style front end.

Anyway, please share pictures, the more the better. Eyes glued to this channel Shocked
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Um yeah. I wanna see this installation too.

I have checked the site and would love to have their suspension front.
and back on my car.
But I'd like to see how difficult the "Bolt on" package is.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
icanfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Bolt-on required 2 cuts to the front and 2 small trims to the rear forks. It will also require custom fabricated parts for the "rear" give the extension parts a place to bolt to.

It's interesting to see the differences between the US and Brazil pans.

Here are some of the first broad shots of the cuts required, fitment while I was test fitting as I iterate on the chassis itself. Ignore all the scar tissue and old parts from the previous version of the build. The first underside rear shot isn't my car - it shows the support brace that's on a Brazilian pan and how they designed it to leverage this bit (#4 I think) and the last shot shows the spot where we don't have that support where something custom will need to be built to bolt up to.

Yes, the chassis is a bit different and is still under construction.
icanfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
and you are local to me! I just went with a new adjustable front end on my buggy, but I looked at that Brazilian option since the Eyeball Engineering front end is no longer available. I don't know if I'd pull the trigger but it would look cool on the front of a beach buggy so I'm tempted every fall to go there.

I'm looking forward to your pictures. Eye candy and I may be able to determine if it would fit and what I would have to do for steering. With a Mini-T mine is not stock even with the stock style front end.

Anyway, please share pictures, the more the better. Eyes glued to this channel Shocked

I've got an red9design converted (adjustable coil-over setup) front beam, red9design rear coilovers, bespoke uniballs and 944T wide arms that comprise my previous suspension setup all for sale rightnow if you're local and interested.
hoghead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

I just ordered the TOP front suspension system from Imhor, and will use in conjunction with my existing IRS system using 944 turbo aluminium rear trailing arms, uniball connection plates on the outboard end, and coil overs.

Construction pics of the front install would be greatly appreciated as I was under the apparently mistaken impression that no cutting of the stock pan was required - the Authorities here are not going to like that!!
icanfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

The photos above show how the notching is to be done to the front section of the pan. I also found that due to the differences in the Brasilian Pan head and the US pan head that I'll need to slightly modify the front plate of the front system. The difference is that their pans have slightly more aggressive tilt at the beam contact points then the US pans do. This is an easy adjustment but will require a cut/re-weld/re-powder coat. Which I mostly anticipated in the process.

So a heads up to anyone considering for a US car - make sure when you order to let them know NOT to add the "kick out tilt" to the front plates.

I'll some additional images once I get this part done. but first, new floors!
hoghead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

icanfly wrote:
The photos above show how the notching is to be done to the front section of the pan. I also found that due to the differences in the Brasilian Pan head and the US pan head that I'll need to slightly modify the front plate of the front system. The difference is that their pans have slightly more aggressive tilt at the beam contact points then the US pans do. This is an easy adjustment but will require a cut/re-weld/re-powder coat. Which I mostly anticipated in the process.

So a heads up to anyone considering for a US car - make sure when you order to let them know NOT to add the "kick out tilt" to the front plates.

I'll some additional images once I get this part done. but first, new floors!

Look forward to the new pics.
Do you have any pics of the frame head surgery after installing the Imhor bits?

Here in Thailand the engine number must match the registration document, and there is an inspection process to view the engine number and vehicle VIN. At that time there is a cursory mechanical inspection and they will shit if they see any fame mods.

For example, I cut the fender struts off my Dyna and it failed as I had "modified" the frame. My mate had his truck rejected during the engine change documentation process due to fitting rear disc brakes!
Once the docs are in order the annual inspection is a joke and there will be no further issues

I may have to approach this incrementally - mod the front frame head while the body is off for the Suby and IRS transplant, take it for inspection with stock I-beam. Then install the pre-fitted Imhor front system once the docs are changed. The hope is that the front frame head mod is not serious enough to catch their attention and/or I can explain it away due to cancer repairs.

Is this feasiable - I really do not want to have to remove the body twice
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

I know there has been a lot of talk here about the "performance" on the Mendeola front suspension has far as handling goes, but we just gave it another "performance" test, crash test dummy style.

A couple of weeks ago, we went to the Carlisle, PA Import & Performance event, and took a little drive in the countryside with some other buggies. It was raining a little, Kathleen was driving (glad it was her and not me as it is her car!) and we came around a corner and hit some oil mixed in with the wet pavement. She locked up the brakes, had the wheel in a left turn, skidded of the road and hit the guardrail at about 20 MPH at an angle and bounced off. No injuries to us.

The rim was really bent, the tire was flat and the fiberglass had scrapped the guardrail also. There was a lot of extra toe in and negative camber on that corner, so we knew something was probably bent. We got the car home and filed a claim with Hagerty (great insurance company!), we contacted Kevin Zagar about the damage. He suggested we ship the upper and lower "A" arms and fabricated spindle to him so he could put them back in the jigs to check them.

The "A" arms are fine and the spindle is slightly bent at the upper ball joint location, but it is not broken at all. All the supporting hardware that is welded to the chassis is OK also. I think this speaks well for the robustness of the design of this front end. Kevin no longer makes the fabricated 1" drop spindles, so we are getting a pair of the normal height modified VW forged spindles as a replacement. See the attached pictures. By the way, we have put over 20,000 miles on this suspension. Tom

Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA

Last edited by Tom_Kathleen on Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
hoghead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

My Imhor arrived in Thailand the other day, and I am kicking myself about not asking about a sway bar. Not needed or just not included?

Now I need to design hubs for the 996 wheels and brakes.
Anyone have a drawing for a Beetle hub that I can use as a starting point?
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Glad no one was hurt, Tom.

Metal can be fixed!

Tom_Kathleen wrote:

coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Hello all my performance friends here on the samba.

I have been trying to be quiet and focus on our products, and keep my opinion to myself, however even if I take a few hits for posting this I think human lives are worth the pain it may cost me.

I just finished looking at some of your pictures of the IMOHR front and rear suspension. I blew up many pictures to see details or design, weld quality, and manufacturing practices. What I found was scary to say the least, therefor I feel it is the responsible thing to do is to give you all fair warning. First I would not run this stuff as they have already had many failures (broken parts under normal use). If you decide to run it I would keep a very close eye on the parts. I would look them over for cracks, bends, and general early wearing on some of the parts.

It is my feeling and by judging by past failures of their parts, that you should keep an eye on the welds and surrounding areas. Also watch all tubes, and spindle parts for bends. Catching these type of failures can be the difference between life and death of your vw, you, or both.

Good luck guys, and stay safe with the shinny side up....
CoolRydes So-Cal Customs

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Is there anywhere pics or buildstory about the early light blue beetle with mendeola suspension, stock style wheels atleast 18" in size and 2276/2332cc turbo engine with 911 style fan?
Richard Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Here's a 3 minute video of my 1965 Mendeola Bug on the Highway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P9KKiEDNs4&feature=youtu.be
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

We know what a ride like that feels like! Only add a 300hp Subaru STI engine a perfectly geared Mendeola transaxle, all covered by a cool Manxter body. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 74 of 75

Jump to: