Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Performance Chassis for T1
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
acidjzaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Hello

All of your chassis builds look great!!! and I am considering parts for my next build.

I have read from your site how well they handle but I too would like to request some kind of performance video clip.

California is the state of endless endless roads

I would vote you get a car to Matt Farah and let him review it.

That guy is dying to drive anyone's car and would probably love to get it on his channel..

His team would take care of all the production work and I guess you would just need to get the car to him.

It would be a win win for everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CruzerDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

I have both, the front and back products with a Medeola MD4 and new 2110 cc VW. It should be finished by late December or early January, 2018 if you like to use for your video. You would have to go to Florida to drive it .....

Gary

acidjzaz wrote:
Hello

All of your chassis builds look great!!! and I am considering parts for my next build.

I have read from your site how well they handle but I too would like to request some kind of performance video clip.

California is the state of endless endless roads

I would vote you get a car to Matt Farah and let him review it.

That guy is dying to drive anyone's car and would probably love to get it on his channel..

His team would take care of all the production work and I guess you would just need to get the car to him.

It would be a win win for everyone.
acidjzaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

I'm down .. Smile!! Very Happy Very Happy
hahaha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gdando
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

As I finally get Frankenstein back on the road I am hating how a 3+” narrowed beam drives on southern Italian roads. I read all the posts from page 1 and am curious to learn if my oringinal 5.5 Fuchs will be compatible with your front suspension and brakes.

http://www.shoptalkforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=120800&highlight=
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

gdando wrote:
As I finally get Frankenstein back on the road I am hating how a 3+” narrowed beam drives on southern Italian roads. I read all the posts from page 1 and am curious to learn if my oringinal 5.5 Fuchs will be compatible with your front suspension and brakes.

Yes we have had a few clients that like to use their 15 inch wheels with our suspension. It does work.

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Kevin,

Can you check your email junk folders please? I have been trying to get hold of you for the last few months with no success.

I know you follow this thread so I'm having to try here.

Thanks
Rick
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

coolrydes wrote:
gdando wrote:

Yes we have had a few clients that like to use their 15 inch wheels with our suspension. It does work.

So if i decided to use my 914 2.0litre rims that is 15x5.5inches, it would be okay? Cause i think i read somewhere that a dude in his buggy used 15 inch, which made his spindles crack.

Is the suspension well enough built to pass tüf inspection? It is important here in europe.

And does your IFS use stock vw spindles or are they still welded?
BuggyT4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Hi Viking,

My best advice to you is to stay away from the Mendeola suspension, or whatever it is called now. The suspension itself is built OK, however the spindles are absolutely terrible. Those on my suspension broke, were repaired, and cracked again. According to Coolrydes they broke because, even though I had rims and tyres of the recommended size (17" rims and 205 x45 tyres), the rims did not have the recommended ET. First time I ever heard of spindles cracking because of the ET. Anyway, the manner in which those spindles were welded was shocking (not just my own evaluation, but that of a pro who has built VWs for decades). When I asked Coolrydes to deliver replacement spindles, he made one excuse after another, and after delaying delivery for months, finally asked me close to USD 1,500 (plus shipping) for a pair of replacement spindles. The whole suspension (including spindles) costs USD 3,295, so he sells the spindles for almost half the cost of the entire suspension. I will let you appreciate whether this constitutes eye gouging, or is a fair price. I asked what improvements were made to the design and fabrication that would ensure the spindles do not break again, and I was not impressed with the answer, so I passed. BTW it was Coolrydes himself who installed the suspension.
From what I understand, as those spindles are welded, they will never pass TÜV inspection, and I would recommend that you look at better built alternatives, of which there are several. Just my two cents.
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

BuggyT4 wrote:
Hi Viking,

My best advice to you is to stay away from the Mendeola suspension, or whatever it is called now. The suspension itself is built OK, however the spindles are absolutely terrible. Those on my suspension broke, were repaired, and cracked again. According to Coolrydes they broke because, even though I had rims and tyres of the recommended size (17" rims and 205 x45 tyres), the rims did not have the recommended ET. First time I ever heard of spindles cracking because of the ET. Anyway, the manner in which those spindles were welded was shocking (not just my own evaluation, but that of a pro who has built VWs for decades). When I asked Coolrydes to deliver replacement spindles, he made one excuse after another, and after delaying delivery for months, finally asked me close to USD 1,500 (plus shipping) for a pair of replacement spindles. The whole suspension (including spindles) costs USD 3,295, so he sells the spindles for almost half the cost of the entire suspension. I will let you appreciate whether this constitutes eye gouging, or is a fair price. I asked what improvements were made to the design and fabrication that would ensure the spindles do not break again, and I was not impressed with the answer, so I passed. BTW it was Coolrydes himself who installed the suspension.
From what I understand, as those spindles are welded, they will never pass TÜV inspection, and I would recommend that you look at better built alternatives, of which there are several. Just my two cents.

Thank you for a good answer! Then Mendeola it isn’t. It is manditory that it passes TÜF. Do you have any good alternatives in mind? Right now i am thinking stock beam with rack and pinion, weld for stock irs and take it from there. Set it up the best way that is possible.
BuggyT4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

I am not sure what it is exactly you are looking for. For front A-arms or twin-wishbone suspension, there is a company in the UK called Red9design that makes such a suspension. I am not sure whether they are better or worse than the Mendeola one, and whether they would pass TÜV. There is another post on The Samba comparing a few products, but some of them may be NLA: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5153005

Before deciding on buying anything, make plenty of research on as many forums as possible. Good luck!
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

BuggyT4 wrote:
I am not sure what it is exactly you are looking for. For front A-arms or twin-wishbone suspension, there is a company in the UK called Red9design that makes such a suspension. I am not sure whether they are better or worse than the Mendeola one, and whether they would pass TÜV. There is another post on The Samba comparing a few products, but some of them may be NLA: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5153005

Before deciding on buying anything, make plenty of research on as many forums as possible. Good luck!

I know red9design is banned by TÜF because of designflaw that makes the lod fall on just one of the balljoints.

I am looking for better handling than what can be accomplished on stock beam and swing axle and hopefully better than stock irs.

If not ill tune the beam to the best possible and install rack and pinion
BuggyT4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

For better handling than stock IRS, have you looked into replacing the rear arms with Porsche 944 arms, and using a Käfer bar?
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Richarzzz Speedshop is currently finishing a Red9 chassis in Germany which has to pass TuV. Check them out on FB and maybe call them for info.

I went with Mendeola for the following reasons (compared to Red9)

The spindles are stock on red9 however they have bolted-on steering arms which I thought would work loose/be slack/not be strong enough generally.
    The Red9 system bolts to the chassis in lieu of the torsion tubes. Mendeola welds securely in place.
    There appears to be little or no support at the rear of the Red9 system and I fear it could flex horribly.
    The whole system looks flimsy to me.
    I have heard from others that Red9's system (the T2 version) has weak spots and can break.
    There is no option to narrow the front on Red9
    Mendeola offers a matching rear end which is built to work well with their front system.
    The Mendeola spindles, however, would probably not pass TuV, TUF, MoT ,WoF etc in the EU/UK/Aus/NZ etc. I am currently building mine with stock spindles and using an adapter (made by Halbug) to restore the correct camber.
    Mendeola requires moving the steering shaft to a new location. Red9 uses stock steering shaft.

There are other systems available. I made my choice based on the above. Do your homework and ask around and see what people generally think of both systems (and others). It's a lot of money to spend so spend it wisely.
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Plipton wrote:
Richarzzz Speedshop is currently finishing a Red9 chassis in Germany which has to pass TuV. Check them out on FB and maybe call them for info.

I went with Mendeola for the following reasons (compared to Red9)

The spindles are stock on red9 however they have bolted-on steering arms which I thought would work loose/be slack/not be strong enough generally.
    The Red9 system bolts to the chassis in lieu of the torsion tubes. Mendeola welds securely in place.
    There appears to be little or no support at the rear of the Red9 system and I fear it could flex horribly.
    The whole system looks flimsy to me.
    I have heard from others that Red9's system (the T2 version) has weak spots and can break.
    There is no option to narrow the front on Red9
    Mendeola offers a matching rear end which is built to work well with their front system.
    The Mendeola spindles, however, would probably not pass TuV, TUF, MoT ,WoF etc in the EU/UK/Aus/NZ etc. I am currently building mine with stock spindles and using an adapter (made by Halbug) to restore the correct camber.
    Mendeola requires moving the steering shaft to a new location. Red9 uses stock steering shaft.

There are other systems available. I made my choice based on the above. Do your homework and ask around and see what people generally think of both systems (and others). It's a lot of money to spend so spend it wisely.

Yes, if the mendeola system can use stock spindles i might consider it. There is one in Norway who also used a lot of time to rebuild and modify his red9design. I´ll probably get rack and pinion, and get tips from a friend who got a fucking nice ball joint and swing axle set up which handles well.
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

BuggyT4 wrote:
For better handling than stock IRS, have you looked into replacing the rear arms with Porsche 944 arms, and using a Käfer bar?

I´ve heard some people doing it, i´ll might consider.
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

TheViking wrote:

Yes, if the mendeola system can use stock spindles i might consider it. There is one in Norway who also used a lot of time to rebuild and modify his red9design. I´ll probably get rack and pinion, and get tips from a friend who got a fucking nice ball joint and swing axle set up which handles well.

Yes it can be done......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You will need these (from Halbug)

TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Plipton wrote:
TheViking wrote:

Yes it can be done......

You will need these (from Halbug)

You think they will pass TÜF? Why cant coolrydes manufactor a longer upper a arm so we dont need that
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

It's all about the scrub. A longer top wishbone would give a different scrub radius. I think the original design used stock spindles but that was changed later.

Also the Mendeola spindles are 30mm lower which you can sort-of achieve by adjusting the shocks but then you're further into the camber arc at your static ride height so any compression will provide more negative camber quicker than using Kevin's spindles. You can't use normal dropped spindles, by the way.

You could adjust the bottom wishbones to their inner most position (as long as the caster was OK) but then you lose the scrub again. It all depends which wheel/tyre combo you use. I believe the Mendeola system is designed to work with 205/40 x 17 tyres and a 45 - 55mm ET number.

Yes they should pass TÜF. Halbug has got them through TÜV in Germany. I'm assuming that the 2 standards are similar, of course.
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Plipton wrote:
It's all about the scrub. A longer top wishbone would give a different scrub radius. I think the original design used stock spindles but that was changed later.

Also the Mendeola spindles are 30mm lower which you can sort-of achieve by adjusting the shocks but then you're further into the camber arc at your static ride height so any compression will provide more negative camber quicker than using Kevin's spindles. You can't use normal dropped spindles, by the way.

You could adjust the bottom wishbones to their inner most position (as long as the caster was OK) but then you lose the scrub again. It all depends which wheel/tyre combo you use. I believe the Mendeola system is designed to work with 205/40 x 17 tyres and a 45 - 55mm ET number.

Yes they should pass TÜF. Halbug has got them through TÜV in Germany. I'm assuming that the 2 standards are similar, of course.

Okay nice! Thanks:) TUF and TUV is the same just different writing:) i’ll have to ask TUF, because 10 000$ with taxes and shipment to norway is a lot if you do not get it legal
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

TheViking wrote:
i’ll have to ask TUF, because 10 000$ with taxes and shipment to norway is a lot if you do not get it legal

Indeed!!! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 68 of 75

Jump to: