Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bigger brake booster, improved brakes.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
Please measure your vanagon booster face to clevis...I have done this conversion and reinstalled per Bentley @ 4 3/8. I question because I feel like I have a soft pedal or if I'm feeling the new effortless pedal....

I got 112mm when measuring so pretty much 4 3/8" on the stock booster. FWIW I installed this on an 89 2wd westy with stock brakes (too be upgraded in the future) and I am happy with it even with stock brakes. I thought it might be too much at first but it's not. Just takes a drive or two to get used to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I love my brakes, the effort less pedal is difficult to get use too. My old set up I pushed the brakes, if you know what I mean.

If any pdx guys are reading this and have this conversion I'd like to share details at the next gtg.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to do stock front brakes,but came across this Audi/Passat A4B5 big brake kit from Van Cafe uninstalled and for sale, so I went for it. I have Smallcar discs in the rear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Put them on, but found them to be quite spongy in the pedal even after bleeding the crap out of them and brake shop bled. Van cafe said yes they found them to be a bit spongy, suggesting some people have turned them upside down to bleed them. They are no longer available from VC. I replaced the suggested brake line loop at the caliper with the stock one and thought maybe that helped at the time.
Next I tested the master cylinder by blocking off the lines at the MC. The front line was definitely mushy. I decided to replace the master (good price at VC), then saw this tread on the BMW booster upgrade, so I got one from a wrecker in Vancouver. Turned out the old ATE booster which made a 'whooshing' air sound when the pedal was depressed was a used replacement from a local wrecker sometime prior to 2000 when I bought the van.

The new master now had good pedal pressure to the front brake when tested but the brakes were still spongy. The brake shop mechanic had suggested I look at the caliper and pads for proper alignment as this could make the brakes spongy. I found that the wire spring pulled the caliper down and the pads out of alignment with the rotor. After the second MC test I was bleeding the brakes again and noticed that the front caliper was really flexing when my friend pumped the brake pedal. I thought that can't be right. I never liked the rubber bushings that the caliper slide pin goes through thinking that it looks pretty 'hokey'.

While looking at images of the calipers online I came across this site tyrolsport.com by chance and saw a bushing stiffening kit that was just what I needed.

$95, $120 shipped ($163 Can - ouch!) The caliper did require grinding a few mm off the bushing ear to get the spring clip groove through, but a 4 1/2 inch grinder did the trick without having to remove the brakelines.

Now I have good brakes and see what you guys are talking about with the BMW booster. Should be even better when I replace the rear pads and turn the rotors since they are a little thin.
davisimportautos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed a booster for this vanagon and saw this post. found a used bmw booster online and tried the conversion. it fit the pedal bracket and the pushrod length can be modified as you described, and the added one inch diameter will just fit. the only problem that will not let it work is the added depth of the booster. the bmw unit is one inch deeper. this positions the master cylinder and reservoir back and alittle upward which will not allow instrument cluster clearance . too bad , I was hoping to save the cash as the vw vanagon booster is expensive and proving hard to find. one note , this is a 1985 vanagon. my pedal bracket is steel not aluminum like the one pictured. I wonder if that is the difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davisimportautos wrote:
I needed a booster for this vanagon and saw this post. found a used bmw booster online and tried the conversion. it fit the pedal bracket and the pushrod length can be modified as you described, and the added one inch diameter will just fit. the only problem that will not let it work is the added depth of the booster. the bmw unit is one inch deeper. this positions the master cylinder and reservoir back and alittle upward which will not allow instrument cluster clearance . too bad , I was hoping to save the cash as the vw vanagon booster is expensive and proving hard to find. one note , this is a 1985 vanagon. my pedal bracket is steel not aluminum like the one pictured. I wonder if that is the difference.

It has been several yrs since I did mine.. but IIRC, the brake line is what interferes with the instrument cluster.. and bending it carefully (avoid kinking at all costs) moved it out of the way *just* enough to get the cluster housing back down snug on all 4 screws.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the right hand metal brace had to be bent (just pulled on it by hand) to clear the forward brake line,then Oh hell, the cluster wouldn't fit, a gentle bending of the rear brake line just clears it. What would a job on a Vanagon be without a few surprises.Right. Laughing
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
I was going to do stock front brakes,but came across this Audi/Passat A4B5 big brake kit from Van Cafe uninstalled and for sale, so I went for it. I have Smallcar discs in the rear.

Put them on, but found them to be quite spongy in the pedal even after bleeding the crap out of them and brake shop bled. Van cafe said yes they found them to be a bit spongy, suggesting some people have turned them upside down to bleed them. They are no longer available from VC. I replaced the suggested brake line loop at the caliper with the stock one and thought maybe that helped at the time.
Next I tested the master cylinder by blocking off the lines at the MC. The front line was definitely mushy. I decided to replace the master (good price at VC), then saw this tread on the BMW booster upgrade, so I got one from a wrecker in Vancouver. Turned out the old ATE booster which made a 'whooshing' air sound when the pedal was depressed was a used replacement from a local wrecker sometime prior to 2000 when I bought the van.

The new master now had good pedal pressure to the front brake when tested but the brakes were still spongy. The brake shop mechanic had suggested I look at the caliper and pads for proper alignment as this could make the brakes spongy. I found that the wire spring pulled the caliper down and the pads out of alignment with the rotor. After the second MC test I was bleeding the brakes again and noticed that the front caliper was really flexing when my friend pumped the brake pedal. I thought that can't be right. I never liked the rubber bushings that the caliper slide pin goes through thinking that it looks pretty 'hokey'.

While looking at images of the calipers online I came across this site tyrolsport.com by chance and saw a bushing stiffening kit that was just what I needed.

$95, $120 shipped ($163 Can - ouch!) The caliper did require grinding a few mm off the bushing ear to get the spring clip groove through, but a 4 1/2 inch grinder did the trick without having to remove the brakelines.

Now I have good brakes and see what you guys are talking about with the BMW booster. Should be even better when I replace the rear pads and turn the rotors since they are a little thin.

Replaced rear pads and better braking. Could feel brakes grabbing near top of pedal travel, but still felt a little soft for hard braking IMO. I did a MC upgrade using a 1 inch E-32 MC for a BMW 750il (new ATE model on EBay)
along with 2 psi residual valves in each brakeline. The VW reservoir fits the new MC, it fits the booster,but there are no pressure ports and the rear-facing brakeline port exits to the right (not up like the VW).I used a Tee in the front brakeline for a pressure switch and used a stock short front brakeline (has a sharp bend in it that I bent just a little more) to make it fit with the instrument cluster. Had to shave a little off the instrument cluster to the cluster fit in the stock position.

I'm very happy with the braking and pedal feel now. It was worth the effort and extra $$.

mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

This is my install (RHD), welded the brace in then cut away the original bracket. Then had to trim some more off to clear the gauge cluster. It is tight in there.

Also had to clearence here for the booster, not sure if this is necessary for LHD.

WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

While it seems many 34331157_xxx boosters will work, avoid the 34331157_912 as the clevis shaft does not have enough threads on it to mount the clevis properly, nor does it have space to cut more.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

I have seen everybody, me included mounting the VW clevis onto the threaded BMW part by re-tapping it.

Well, I'm mocking another install on another van I'm working on, and the BMW clevis fits just fine over the VW brake pedal if threaded with no counter nut all the way down (use thread locker), just need to redrill a little bit the brake pedal for the pin across. I shaved a tiny bit the inside U part of the clevis to make up for very thin teflon washers for a smooth engagement without rubbing metal on metal.
Oh and shortening the threads on the booster too depending how yours is Wink

Easy breezy.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Well, I'm mocking another install on another van I'm working on, and the BMW clevis fits just fine over the VW brake pedal if threaded with no counter nut all the way down (use thread locker), just need to redrill a little bit the brake pedal for the pin across. I shaved a tiny bit the inside U part of the clevis to make up for very thin teflon washers for a smooth engagement without rubbing metal on metal.

Easy breezy.

Unfortunately, my booster does not have enough threads on the inner end of the shaft to properly mount the VW clevis, let alone the longer BMW. The shaft could be threaded a bit further to mount the VW clevis, but that would have to be into the wrench flats, which doesn't seem to be a best practice, and leaving no room for a jam nut.

I noticed on page 3 you were considering buying a booster with the same part number as mine, 34331157912. Do you recall if you bought that one, and if so, did you encounter the same problem I'm having?

Larry H.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

WLD*WSTY wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

Easy breezy.

Unfortunately, my booster does not have enough threads on the inner end of the shaft to properly mount the VW clevis, let alone the longer BMW. The shaft could be threaded a bit further to mount the VW clevis, but that would have to be into the wrench flats, which doesn't seem to be a best practice, and leaving no room for a jam nut.

I noticed on page 3 you were considering buying a booster with the same part number as mine, 34331157912. Do you recall if you bought that one, and if so, did you encounter the same problem I'm having?

Larry H.

Hi Larry!

It's been a few years I mounted mine, I'm pretty sure the part number is on the pics or text, if not, I dunno anymore :/

The new one I got, I will have to look on it to let you know.

Goodnight!

edit, I got 34331157911, hosted pics are dying....
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

WLD*WSTY wrote:
While it seems many 34331157_xxx boosters will work, avoid the 34331157_912 as the clevis shaft does not have enough threads on it to mount the clevis properly, nor does it have space to cut more.

The 34331157_912 booster works after all. Please disregard the above comments. They were the result of a faulty ruler... Embarassed
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Quick question for those that have done this- my BMW booster didn't come with the insert for the vacuum line. Will my vanagon booster insert fit? Thanks in advance
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Quick question for those that have done this- my BMW booster didn't come with the insert for the vacuum line. Will my vanagon booster insert fit? Thanks in advance

I think yes Smile
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

It seems to me that the distance from booster face to center of clevis pin should be 4 3/8" minimum or stock. Less might cause brake drag ,but more - say 4 1/2 or 4 5/8 would slightly raise the brake pedal,increase leverage and result in a firmer pedal. I thought I read somewhere that a vanagon owner had done it. Thoughts?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
It seems to me that the distance from booster face to center of clevis pin should be 4 3/8" minimum or stock. Less might cause brake drag ,but more - say 4 1/2 or 4 5/8 would slightly raise the brake pedal,increase leverage and result in a firmer pedal. I thought I read somewhere that a vanagon owner had done it. Thoughts?

Why work with imperial? Yuck. It's a metric thread for god sake, the pitch is 1, which means every turn of the clevis equals 1mm in linear distance.

4-1/2" to 4-5/8" equals a 3.1mm difference, lets call it 3mm, so 3 turns on the threaded portion. Not sure it's gonna make a big difference.
If you do end up trying, leave the dashboard out for a drive test Wink
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

So I recently did this along with G60 brakes up front. Actually I overhauled the entire Braking system.
New MC
Braided lines
G60 up front
New drum/shoes
New wheel cylinders
And the e30 brake booster

My issue is I still have a lot of travel before I feel any bite in the brakes, I set my depth to the stock booster, I actually went to the junk yard and snagged another vanagon Clevis so I could leave the stock one in place for measuring. I set it to the recommended length and verified off the stock booster but I still have a ton of pedal travel.

I tested all the other items first, I pushed the shoes out till they are dragging a little,pressure bled the crap out of them several times. Still lots of travel.

Just curious if anyone knows if the clevis pin is misadjusted and could cause this? It takes me 20 mins to pull the dash but I don't feel like doing it unless I know for sure that's probably the culprit.
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Sounds classic for worn out hole where the clutch pedal attaches. Did you check that?
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Sounds classic for worn out hole where the clutch pedal attaches. Did you check that?

I looked but I can't remember anything that stood out. I did notice the brake return spring was broken, haven't been able to source a new one
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: