Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bigger brake booster, improved brakes.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Pcforno wrote:
90 - one other thing I'd recommend - when you change the booster the entire pedal assembly will be pulled up out of the dash and free - get the GW parts to replace the clutch pedal. I did it the "other way" below the dash and it's damn near impossible, only to find out later that it would have been easy to do with the booster job through the top of the dash Very Happy

Yup, just squeeze the pedals together with one hand while pulling from the top: easy breezy

What?! You can change the booster and pedal cluster through the instrument binnacle hole without removing the dash?!?

Really?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Yup - I've mentioned it a couple times now and posted it in the "30 minute clutch replacement thread" - to beware that it's not 30 minutes below the dash and if you happen to be doing the booster it's best done through the top
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Hi guys,

In preparation for this surgery, I just finished installing the drilled and tapped Clovis onto my BMW booster. After adjusting the clevis hole center to booster face depth to 111.5mm there are no threads left on the booster shaft for a lock not to secure the clevis.

Am I doing something wrong?

Check my photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:
Pcforno wrote:
90 - one other thing I'd recommend - when you change the booster the entire pedal assembly will be pulled up out of the dash and free - get the GW parts to replace the clutch pedal. I did it the "other way" below the dash and it's damn near impossible, only to find out later that it would have been easy to do with the booster job through the top of the dash Very Happy

Yup, just squeeze the pedals together with one hand while pulling from the top: easy breezy

What?! You can change the booster and pedal cluster through the instrument binnacle hole without removing the dash?!?

Really?

I didn't mean with the dashboard installed, sorry for the confusion, as I have never tried that method, too much of a pita to me when it takes me 20 min to drop the dash off Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

I didn't mean with the dashboard installed, sorry for the confusion, as I have never tried that method, too much of a pita to me when it takes me 20 min to drop the dash off Laughing

Ha! Apparently you've had a LOT more practise than I have!! Cool

I'm just a little concerned about how much the Behr Indash AC is going to complicate the dash removal.
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

I'm just a little concerned about how much the Behr Indash AC is going to complicate the dash removal.

It should be the same,I've never done it, but looking at pics, just unplug the vent hoses on all. The tricky one is the stereo vent, I posted how to remove that vent recently on the behr custom stereo thread that's floating around. I did it to replace the cigarette lighter thingy. Was not fun Laughing
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:
Pcforno wrote:

Really?

Apparently so. I've never done it, but this guy did.

bajaleo wrote:
I hope the video is still available on Youtube. Watch this guy swap out the brake booster on a Vanagon

squarevan wrote:
Don't know if this is posted already but it might be easier don't have to take the dash off and go upside down. Note in this video there is not a clutch pedal but it makes it a lot easier to remove the clutch pedal but being able to see the clip and pull out the pin. As others have mention hand size and body type might not work with the orginal post.

you can search on youtube for:

How to replace the Dual Diaphragm Brake Booster Volkswagen T3

https://www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzuhLBdvFK-8&...bs.1,d.amc

good luck

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

It should be the same,I've never done it, but looking at pics, just unplug the vent hoses on all. The tricky one is the stereo vent, I posted how to remove that vent recently on the behr custom stereo thread that's floating around. I did it to replace the cigarette lighter thingy. Was not fun Laughing

Right on. I'm sure I'm just inventing possible difficulties...
www.thebassspa.com
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Any ideas? Anyone one have the same issue?...anyone...anyone...Buhler?

90weekender wrote:
Hi guys,

In preparation for this surgery, I just finished installing the drilled and tapped Clovis onto my BMW booster. After adjusting the clevis hole center to booster face depth to 111.5mm there are no threads left on the booster shaft for a lock not to secure the clevis.

Check my photo:
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

It's all good man, just mount it with red loctite, well tight.

I actually use the BMW clevis now, slight grinding of the VW pedal to install 2 super fine teflon washers for friction on either side to it won't rub hard metal to metal onto the BMW clevis. Redrill the pedal. Done.
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Does anybody know if this is doable to an earlier van like an 82? If yes where is the vacuume line attach and I assume you can use any vacuume line brought up from the engine bay?

Thanks
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

I wouldn't see why not?
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

90weekender wrote:
Any ideas? Anyone one have the same issue?...anyone...anyone...Buhler?

90weekender wrote:
Hi guys,

Check my photo:

The GoWesty replacement clevis has a longer threaded portion. I had to cut a bit off the replacement clevis to make the adjustment.
monkslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Awesome write up. Finally managed to do the booster upgrade and it makes a world of difference. Combined with the rear disc conversion, this finally makes the brakes feel really different, it's like they came alive after a long slumber.
Only problem after VW long slumbers is there is always a catch, my calipers are now sticking after the car has run for a bit. Yesterday night , they completely locked up and I had to cool them off a bit with some water(they were smoking) and wait for them to cool down before I could drive off again. Seems when cool, they work just fine but after a few cycles of braking(they get hot) they start to stick. I'll disassemble the caliper tomorrow, I suspect a rebuild is calling. Any other ideas would be welcome too! Very Happy
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Other possibilities - check and adjust parking brake or upgrade cables, check and lube caliper slider pins, check rear brake pistons are screwed back all the way in and set right with the parking brake.
monkslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

finally sorted it out. Seemed i needed to further adjust the clevis pin since it was slightly engaging the MC causing brake drag and the sticking. Adjusted, went for a long-ish hard drive and so far so good. Will keep an eye out on it but so far it is the best braking on the Van since i got it. Cheers for the replies
Rydersonthestorm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Just though I’d let people know (since there was discussion on part #s that work) that I did a successful (although haven’t driven it much yet) conversion using the 34-33 1154 262 booster. Only thing that differed from the instructions is I had to shorten the threaded rod 8mm (5/16?) as it would have protruded into the clevis and I wasn’t sure the actual area within the clevis that the pedal pivoted (so decided it was safest to shorten).

I haven’t seen the other boosters people are using but they look similar to the one I used based on pictures.
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Rydersonthestorm wrote:
Just though I’d let people know (since there was discussion on part #s that work) that I did a successful (although haven’t driven it much yet) conversion using the 34-33 1154 262 booster. Only thing that differed from the instructions is I had to shorten the threaded rod 8mm (5/16?) as it would have protruded into the clevis and I wasn’t sure the actual area within the clevis that the pedal pivoted (so decided it was safest to shorten).

I haven’t seen the other boosters people are using but they look similar to the one I used based on pictures.

Will the Booster part number 3433-1157911 work?
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Rydersonthestorm wrote:

Will the Booster part number 3433-1157911 work?

It should - according to my notes that's one of the three part numbers I was hunting. I ended up with a 34331157-984
www.thebassspa.com
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Joining the club. Picked this up today.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: