Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

propane regulator
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: propane regulator Reply with quote

Does anyone know where to find a propane regulator that s same length as the stock one? I ve already added a T fitting between the regulator and copper lines for propex line so the two copper lines have already been stretched. I don't want to cut or bend the lines anymore unless I HAVE TO. Or what is closest one and where can I get one? I propane tank is full now. Should I be comfortable removing the regulator with the shut off valve fully closed?

thanks

Allen
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a replacement that is the same length. I had to replace mine last summer and needed to get my lines shortened and reflared. I don't recall off hand the model number but it was $35 at the local RV shop. I know you will find the model number with a quick search.
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kshbaja.
I looked carefully underside of the regulator where the gas is leaking and noticed the hole is very tiny but very round(doesn't look like a crack) that it s meant to be there. Does anyone have any idea about this or is it just a leaking hole
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: propane regulator Reply with quote

targis58 wrote:
Does anyone know where to find a propane regulator that s same length as the stock one? I ve already added a T fitting between the regulator and copper lines for propex line so the two copper lines have already been stretched. I don't want to cut or bend the lines anymore unless I HAVE TO. Or what is closest one and where can I get one? I propane tank is full now. Should I be comfortable removing the regulator with the shut off valve fully closed?

thanks

Allen

Did you add a tee in addition to the tee already there? If so, there is a better way, take a look at my site for the quad fitting.

I've replaced a lot of the older regulators, they all fail eventually. The Marshall 290 is the best replacement, the lines can be carefully bent to accommodate the extra length.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marchal??
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I posted the wrong model number above, should be the Marshall model 294, side-vent. Like this:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/propane-pressure-regulator.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reviving an old thread. what was used to bend the propane lines coming out of the van? does anyone have experience with this? i've done brake lines before and have bent them by hand and used small cylinders, like small soup cans, to bend them but the propane lines are quite different and i don't want to damage them in the process. it looks like the marshall 294 regulator is about 2" longer than the stock reg.

any more info on bending the lines to fit these new regs would be appreciated. thanks!
DieterVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my defunct regulator w/ a Marshall 294. I needed to cut off 2 inches of pipe and reflare the gas line because the replacement reg was longer than the original. Very easy to do.

FYI - use teflon paste on the threads, not teflon tape
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy the regulator at a propane shop maybe they will install it for free. That's what I did, and it was nice to watch someone work who knows how much you can bend the copper before it kinks. It took him a couple minutes to do it by hand, no tools. The cost for the regulator was about the same as on line sources. I could see how you could kink it if you don't have experience. He said he might have to cut and re-flare the end, but then he just went for it and bent it carefully. If you can find a place to do it, that would be easy. Cutting and re-flaring would be my second choice. Personally I don't think I could bend it without kinking it so that would be my third choice. If you cut and reflare it, you can slide one of those tubing benders over it to help prevent it from kinking, since you still need to bend it a little bit even if you shorten it.
dlb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another regulator question: i ordered the marshall 294 from an RV place but the one that they gave me says 290 on the back. they said that they are certain that it is the 294, even though it says 290 on it. i think they're out to lunch but can someone with a 294 please take a look and verify this for me?

thanks!
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my extra one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Model 290 / 290-01)

Length without brass fitting is 6"
...including brass fitting is 7-7/8"

Old one (original I think):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Length without fitting is 4-3/8"
dlb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are you saying that the 290 and the 294 are interchangeable and either one is applicable for our vans? are you currently running a 290?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: