Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving your vw on the interstate..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
I definitely notice people swerve around me in my bug at high rates of speed when the middle and fast lane are completely empty. It's almost like they are trying to send me a message that they are pissed I'm driving my old car 5mph OVER the posted limit.

That's exactly the feeling I get, as well.

I notice this on the LIE , Nesconsett. Less so on the parkways. LEO here tells me we still have some residual left over racers from the Covid era when apparently it was lawless at night

I experience most of this on the SOB (which never actually made it to OB, but that's another story), a relatively perpetually empty N/S 10 1/2 mile length of three-lane that goes from nowhere to nowhere, which kind of explains the lack of traffic.

It has three notorious LEO hiding places, all within walking distance of each other, which are known by just about everyone.

In it's defense, this road is a nice drive because it is so sparsely traveled. It kind of reminds me of driving just about anywhere else in the country that isn't near a city. For 10 1/2 miles.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
And I have tried to communicate the general turtle-like nature of the car. In fact, I think I made it pretty obvious.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Scotty! We need more power!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Abscate wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
I definitely notice people swerve around me in my bug at high rates of speed when the middle and fast lane are completely empty. It's almost like they are trying to send me a message that they are pissed I'm driving my old car 5mph OVER the posted limit.

That's exactly the feeling I get, as well.

I notice this on the LIE , Nesconsett. Less so on the parkways. LEO here tells me we still have some residual left over racers from the Covid era when apparently it was lawless at night

I experience most of this on the SOB (which never actually made it to OB, but that's another story), a relatively perpetually empty N/S 10 1/2 mile length of three-lane that goes from nowhere to nowhere, which kind of explains the lack of traffic.

It has three notorious LEO hiding places, all within walking distance of each other, which are known by just about everyone.

In it's defense, this road is a nice drive because it is so sparsely traveled. It kind of reminds me of driving just about anywhere else in the country that isn't near a city. For 10 1/2 miles.

Can you tell me where this is? New to Suffolk. I’m st trying to find a good road to set readiness monitors for inspections

Oyster Bay?
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

Last week I drove from Columbus Oh to Nokomis Fl. It's about 1,100 miles and just got back home yesterday.
I did the drive in my MKVI GTI. It's a great car performance wise but it's most definitely not a "touring" car. The suspension and cabin noise gets a bit excruciating after a few hours.
I hadn't done a trip like that in a very long time. What an eye opener!
The sheer amount of seriously distracted drivers on top of the ones that needed to be ahead of the pack at any cost was ridiculous.
More than a few times I had drivers race up to my bumper, cut over to the left lane then cut back in front with only a couple feet of separation. What's up with that?
Then I remembered, this happened mainly in Kentucky & Georgia. I believe they were auditioning for a Nascar! Rolling Eyes

Next week we are driving back from San Diego with an RV.
I've not ever travelled those interstates. I'd be curios to know what driving styles I may encounter out there Shocked

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

SoCal drivers are insane. 100mph in huge trucks, passing on thr median strip or shoulder, AGAIN I got passed the other day and the other driver used half of my lane to do it. The dashed lines are mere suggestions.

Once you get out of.the city, it's not as bad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: