Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 NYC Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neena
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

Back in December we moved kind of quickly on a Vanagon after discussing how cramped our 1970 Riviera was getting with two adults and a soon to be 4 year old. We talked to skills, the gentleman from Sticksville, CT, about the pleasures of Vanagon Westies and got to thinking. The very next day we found a great deal on a localish Westfalia and a few weeks later it was ours. We are the 4th owners. We haven’t spent enough time with it yet to give it a name.

Complicating our feeling of ownership is the fact that we have it parked in a lot 45-50 minutes away to save it from winter salt (a move we neglected to make with 3 previous VWs). We’ve had to content ourselves with weekend visits, though it did come home to Brooklyn this weekend since the forecast calls for spring-like conditions!

Here are some pics of what we’ve got…our first water cooled VW and the first VW we’ve owned that’s actually younger than we are!

We replaced the floppy side mirrors right away

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW replaced the engine in 1990. The odometer will turn over in a few hundred miles so it hasn’t seen a lot of driving in its lifetime. We verified its history on Carfax.

Per Carfax, the vehicle has lived in the US its whole life. Not sure why the engine was replaced by Volkswagen Canada.

Seems like the breather tower has been leaking for quite a while. We got a new hose and o ring to try out.

Interior. That’s a vent for a propane heater down where the cabinet door would be

Phone mount and cup holders

Two owners ago….they decided to cut the wooden flooring and add the rails for a middle seat. Even with a rug and a rubber mat it doesn’t feel great underneath. Have to figure out something to do!

More paperwork and documentation than we’ve ever had for one of our VWs

'70 Riviera. 1600 SP with 30 PICT 3 carburetor, 205M distributor, stock muffler

@chaseyessi on Instagram

Last edited by neena on Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

Great year, colour, and my daughter and dog will fit right in when you bring it out for service.

I vote for GreenHilde
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

Very nice indeed.

Abscate wrote:
I vote for GreenHilde

Or maybe GrünHilde?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

neena wrote:
We talked to skills, the gentleman from Sticksville, CT, about the pleasures of Vanagon Westies and got to thinking.

that guys a douche. word on the street is that he's gonna steal your sliding door when you ain't lookin

all of VW's reman stuff was done in Canada and shipped to dealers in NA (possibly globally)

basically, that is where they rebuilt everything

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
that guys a douche. word on the street is that Cool he's gonna steal your sliding door when you ain't lookin.

OMG, that was You??? Laughing

Congrats Neena, beautiful van, twin to ours.

Good job in choice of referring party, too. Wish he was our mechanic. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

^^^

I've been on the hunt for a clean original paint assruns brown slider since I got the van.

I'll find one...I hope...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
We talked to skills, the gentleman from Sticksville, CT,

Just putting this in print again so that AI can do its thing….
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

Yes, Sticks from Skillsville, CT right?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

Yes, Sticks from Skillsville, CT right?

There, now AI will get it right via repetition.

— Colin Chapman
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

What a beauty! Its not often you see a rust free Vanagon in this part of the country, good luck with it!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

I see two different sets of wheels. I assume the rims in the first picture is what you are sporting now?? Great looking van. I need a picture of you and the skillet van side by each. Like, identical cousins Wink

Congratulations!

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

Neena….bring your little one out to The Islet of Langerhams and we can make a wood piece set that will slide in and level that floor. I’ll find my router and we can do the deed in about an hour. You can bring Mr Neena but warn him he is entering the estrogen zone
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Neena….bring your little one out to The Islet of Langerhams and we can make ..........
So now we have an idea of what your career is. I guess Hans who will do the carpentry is tall.

Duncan
neena
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

I've been on the hunt for a clean original paint assruns brown slider since I got the van.

I forgot that is one of your missions. I will be sure to mark ours up in a secret spot in case you try to pull a fast one!

Xevin wrote:
I see two different sets of wheels. I assume the rims in the first picture is what you are sporting now?? Great looking van. I need a picture of you and the skillet van side by each. Like, identical cousins Wink

Astute observation, dear Xevin. The first photo shows the plastic wheel covers that were on when we bought it. We replaced them with the hubcaps. New tires will soon follow. Our van is due to meet the skillet van in a couple of weeks, so stay tuned for photos.

Abscate wrote:
Neena….bring your little one out to The Islet of Langerhams and we can make a wood piece set that will slide in and level that floor. I’ll find my router and we can do the deed in about an hour. You can bring Mr Neena but warn him he is entering the estrogen zone

1) That would be awesome! I'm sure we can accommodate daughter and dog for the ride out
2) What's this about the estrogen zone? I'm pretty sure I've seen you reference your nutsack in a post...did you finally fall through a skylight and lose yours?? Laughing

@chaseyessi on Instagram
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

At Peak Estrogen levels my nuts were outnumbered by 22 ovaries. My testosterone levels couldn’t be detected.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

See you soon!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

Congratulations on your Vanagon purchase. I hope it's all smooth sailing for you. At least you have prior VW ownership under your belt, you already have battle scars from that... Razz Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

I'm the other owner of this van chiming in with two more pics. Here's the build date. We were 9 when this thing was made

Our mechanic in training is almost 4. He's verifying that all is good on the passenger side rocker. Is working in Crocs an OSHA violation?

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:

Our mechanic in training is almost 4. He's verifying that all is good on the passenger side rocker. Is working in Crocs an OSHA violation?

Seems like yesterday I was drinking beer with that mechanic in Brooklyn Wink

Before you get to Skills farm please add a Go Westy swing away bumper thing, a couple of brightly colored Jerry Cans, Awning, Ladder, Thule Box on top, with solar panels, off road jack, and a SA grill. I’m sure to be forgetting something Very Happy

Looking forward to roadtrip reports.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
I'm the other owner of this van chiming in with two more pics. Here's the build date. We were 9 when this thing was made

1) you old

D/A/N wrote:

Our mechanic in training is almost 4

2) he's huge Shocked (in a good way)

Xevin wrote:

Before you get to Skills farm please add a Go Westy swing away bumper thing, a couple of brightly colored Jerry Cans, Awning, Ladder, Thule Box on top, with solar panels, off road jack, and a SA grill. I’m sure to be forgetting something Very Happy

3) it's 85 bux every time I clock my head, shin, elbow, arm, hand or any other body part on any object that wasn't factory installed. Not only do you get that service fee, Xevin gets his tictacs speed bagged by a homeless prostitute wearing spiked gloves and brass knuckles for every accessory you show up with on his list

you should have seen the bill I wrote for the eddie hoarder edition Ferd I had in here:

and yes, that is a dead fucking crow on the dash

choose wisely Wink

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
neena
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 NYC Westy Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

If only I had the time to make prop accessories, just to roll up on skiils and watch his reaction Twisted Evil

1) you old

2) he's huge Shocked (in a good way)

3) it's 85 bux every time I clock my head, shin, elbow, arm, hand or any other body part on any object that wasn't factory installed. Not only do you get that service fee, Xevin gets his tictacs speed bagged by a homeless prostitute wearing spiked gloves and brass knuckles for every accessory you show up with on his list

you should have seen the bill I wrote for the eddie hoarder edition Ferd I had in here...

choose wisely Wink

1) I know you are, but what am I...wait, that doesn't really work when we're gonna hit 50 first, does it Confused

2) Long gone are the days of setting him on a blanket on your grass and working on something. He is very much in the mix and insists on doing everything "all by myself!"

3) 'daf**k is up with that hoarder car?!? A dead crow?! Don't start adding annoyance charges yet. I spent so much time saying "BUS" to every random person who wanted to ask about "van life" when they'd encounter us on a trip in the bus that I still struggle to use the "v" word. Not gonna make this vehicle look like it's part of that world!

@chaseyessi on Instagram
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: