Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
envirogisgirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

Hi Yall,

I am curious has anyone installed or seen ant T3/Vanagon high-tops or the later euro vans( T4/T5---) with a side body flare/window flare either up top, or on the 1st floot bed space ( or both) for rotating your bed space width wise of the van?

I'd be really curious to see this! Mostly for the top bunk in a hightop... just seems like something should exist, or not be too tough to modify...

I know - i know- stock purists may be hating on me - yet I am still curious!. Why not- Why not take advantage of some of the lighter weight innovations coming out of the large sprinter/transit & VW euro model vans...

I dont have any picture of this idea- just look at any modern transit or sprinter.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

What you’re describing is known as an “East-West” bed.

The issues with them is having to climb over any bedmate to get in or out — and thus most buyers of vans, RVs, and trailers seek the North-South bed when buying.

We see Sprinters and other rigs nearly every day, so am not sure of the “flaring” you mention. But… there’s no question if only used as a single bed, space in the galley area would open up nicely.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

She means this type of thing I think.

https://nomadicsupply.com/flarespace-bed-flares-fo...gIMqfD_BwE

Last edited by elizer on Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

I've never seen anything like that on a Vanagon of Eurovan and I suspect it's because of how narrow the VWs are compared to a Sprinter.

A quick Google search says the outside dimension of a Sprinter is 92 inches while a Vanagon is 72 inches. So, based on outside dimensions (not accounting for wall thickness, insulation, etc.) a Sprinter is already wide enough to fit a sideways 6-ft long bed without the flares while a Vanagon would need a 10-inch flare sticking out of each side to get the same bed length. It appears the Sprinter flares only stick out 3 to 5 inches.

Purist or not, I think many would think such a wide protrusion would look really odd. Not to mention the body and/or interior work that would be needed to install them.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

This is my "flare" The N/S bed sticks out on a platform right to the back of the hatch tent and frees up wonderful space inside.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you really want an E/W bed, then the whole DS side between the C and D pillar could hinge outward and provide a platform for the bedding. I don't know what this would gain you as the PS side of the engine hatch would be exposed for something, but it would be an awkward area to use.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

IMHO you would need to be among the shorter members of society to sleep cross wise in a Vanagon.
IIRC the floor width is only five feet, the body does gain width as you approach the glass but it is still narrow.
I haven't recently measured the rear glass length at the C to D pillar but memory tells me it is under four feet long. I did measure it awhile back for I purchased aluminum bar stock for curtain rods.

Plus the bottom of the windows is quite high off of the floor. No where near a comfortable bed height.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
envirogisgirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
I've never seen anything like that on a Vanagon of Eurovan and I suspect it's because of how narrow the VWs are compared to a Sprinter.

A quick Google search says the outside dimension of a Sprinter is 92 inches while a Vanagon is 72 inches. So, based on outside dimensions (not accounting for wall thickness, insulation, etc.) a Sprinter is already wide enough to fit a sideways 6-ft long bed without the flares while a Vanagon would need a 10-inch flare sticking out of each side to get the same bed length. It appears the Sprinter flares only stick out 3 to 5 inches.

Purist or not, I think many would think such a wide protrusion would look really odd. Not to mention the body and/or interior work that would be needed to install them.

Wow I didn't realize how much narrower the width of a VW Vanagon is compared to a sprinter pr transit. While I am among the shorter types of humans clocking in at 5'2" - sounds like there still wouldn't be enough space to rotate the top bunk in a hitop.
envirogisgirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
This is my "flare" The N/S bed sticks out on a platform right to the back of the hatch tent and frees up wonderful space inside.

Duncan

Thanks - I have seen a few of those yet wasn't too sure if it was a shower room or what. Thank you.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

OP, is your goal a galley space increase on a non-Westy?

We could probably help more with more details.

— Colin Chapman
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

5' 2" is almost the exact width between the two front door windows, you could use one of those hammocks like the Bay window vans had and sleep there.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

envirogisgirl wrote:
Wow I didn't realize how much narrower the width of a VW Vanagon is compared to a sprinter pr transit. While I am among the shorter types of humans clocking in at 5'2" - sounds like there still wouldn't be enough space to rotate the top bunk in a hitop.

Sprinters are huge. It's one reason why many here prefer old VWs - you can fit a Vanagon in sooo many tighter spaces and better camping spots.

For example, my van is parked almost directly across the street from this Sprinter. The size difference IS NOT an illusion.

envirogisgirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

TY!
Well i didnt realize the extreme size difference between a sprinter & a vanagon body!
I was simply thinking that since its a hightop - that making the top bunk go across the width of the van for 1+ dog, would indeed open up the galley space more & possibly allow for a permanent bed set-up, all the time, up, out of sight. Not that there is anything stealthy about a hi-top vanagon body - but since I am usually just me & a dog - I was thinking such an option would allow space for a more permanent office set up with a professional WeBoost or similar.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

Per the office, that’s exactly what I thought you were thinking… and what we’ve done since 2013.

Clarifying, are you saying the dog is taking away from office space and that you’d still be downstairs? Sorry, not quite clear still…

Flaring a hightop should be possible, but possibly unattractive.
Flaring the bottom would be outrageously expensive and hyper-unattractive.

Sometimes simple things get lost in even simple text, Sorry.

What I will add is after years of converting (and wearing out) the bed to work everyday, now I just work in bed with lots of pillows and a big monitor — and it Rules.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

envirogisgirl wrote:
E1 wrote:

TY!
Well i didnt realize the extreme size difference between a sprinter & a vanagon body!
I was simply thinking that since its a hightop - that making the top bunk go across the width of the van for 1+ dog, would indeed open up the galley space more & possibly allow for a permanent bed set-up, all the time, up, out of sight. Not that there is anything stealthy about a hi-top vanagon body - but since I am usually just me & a dog - I was thinking such an option would allow space for a more permanent office set up with a professional WeBoost or similar.

You could use the high top bed as your permanent bedroom. Then the downstairs could be the office, kitchen, and dining room. Not sure how the pooch would like getting into the top bunk area though....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

Introducing the WestyCrane.

— Colin Chapman
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

The last one has flames, so has to be good.

— Colin Chapman
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

envirogisgirl wrote:

TY!

The larger Sprinter dimensions allow it to have a dedicated bed space versus something that is multi-purpose (although I still find the Westy's multi-purpose spaces to be more useful than a Sprinter that has less open floor space than a Westy).

- It's hard to have a permanent bed in the Vanagon. Some folks keep their lower bunk as a bed full-time but that loses the seating space of the couch. In order to make the upper bunk a full-time bed, much of the standing room of the high-top is lost because the upper bunk needs to extend at least 22" into the kitchen area (the bunk can easily be broken down but then it's no longer a full-time bed)

- The high-top can actually be fairly stealth: it doesn't have a pop-top popped; you can leave the curtains open while sleeping above; a reading light in the high-top won't be as visible as a reading light in the lower bunk, etc. I don't stealth camp a lot but when I do I pull the curtains, hang a curtain behind the front seat and sleep in the lower bunk (but that's Seattle and sleeping in a van doesn't get too much attention anyway).

- We use the rear attic of the high-top as 24/7 storage and sleep in the lower bunk. That means we have to make the bed every night and break it down most mornings but that's pretty easy. Since there's so much storage up top we never store anything on the van's floor or above the engine so there's a lot of usable space downstairs and switching from bed to couch is easy.

- If you add 10"-12" side extensions to each side of the high-top you'd get a 70" side-to-side bunk. That's not terribly unrealistic. It'd look odd and might catch on obstacles, esp. trees on narrow forest roads, but it could easily be done with some fiberglass work (Duncan here could do this or instruct how to do it in his sleep). Maybe this is possible with some compromises.

- If you haven't had a chance to spend time in a pop-top or high-top Westy try to get a tour of these vans. That's when the gears can really get going on what it'd be like to live in one.

I've used this van as an office for several years but mostly not at the same time as it was used as a camper but it can easily do both.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

Another barrier to installing a sleeping bubble like that on a sprinter or other modern van is structural. The modern bubble goes up high where its just thin sheetmetal and maybe slight bracing to be cut. On a vanagon, the walls down at bed height are major structures that control forces from the powertrain and suspension - so you cant really cut away a large swath there.

We are restoring a Toyota Sunrader, which has a dedicated sleeper area over the cab, which will be fun to have always set up for a quick nap, plus a dedicated dinette. Neither has to be switched for day/night use.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Body extension flares/body panels to turn the bed space sideways Reply with quote

Couldn't find the site. If I correctly remember, there was a Spanish guy who did an amazing T3 conversion for office use. It had a bed which was hinged to the ceiling and pulled up out of the way during the day. It was a very clever vehicle and well worth the look for what the OP might need.

Maybe someone else can find the site.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: