Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI conversion parts/suppliers list, please add
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWZigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWZigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Enterprises offers the gears needed for your 091 if you are going to convert to TDI. www.longenterprises.com/ Rick Long said the 1.18 3rd gear and .70 4th gear are $375 each (plus shipping). Does anyone have another supplier?

Larry
69 Squareback
86 Golf Diesel
91 Vanagon Carat (soon the receive a 1Z TDI transplant)
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arizona Transaxle has all these gears (in stock) as well as the 3-4 slider (in stock) and can get the south african oiling plates too (special order).
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWZigs wrote:
Long Enterprises offers the gears needed for your 091 if you are going to convert to TDI. www.longenterprises.com/ Rick Long said the 1.18 3rd gear and .70 4th gear are $375 each (plus shipping). Does anyone have another supplier?

Larry
69 Squareback
86 Golf Diesel
91 Vanagon Carat (soon the receive a 1Z TDI transplant)

For some reason your post is not visible, but I see it when I quote you?????

The link I posted earlier, to transaxle engineering sells/installs taller 3rd and 4th gears in 091 trannies, he charges $330for the gear sets. My TDI is hooked up to a 091, fwiw.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)

Last edited by jackbombay on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see his post either...

Anyone know if the transmission guys all sell the same gear sets? Is a .70 from AA in Seattle the same gear/supplier as a Long enterprises .70?
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German Transaxle said they used Weddle brand gears for my 1.14 and 0.70 gear sets http://www.weddleindustries.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Tranny gearing Reply with quote

Outwesty,

What's the gearing info in your tranny?

Also, if you're rebuilding or up-grading, check with Weddle for gears, bearings, etc.

Last edited by AndyBees on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stock R&P. 1.14 for 3rd and 0.70 for 4th. It's still not on the road so I can't give you any feedback yet. Should do 70 or so at 3,000 RPM with my large tires.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Tranny, etc. Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
stock R&P. 1.14 for 3rd and 0.70 for 4th. It's still not on the road so I can't give you any feedback yet. Should do 70 or so at 3,000 RPM with my large tires.

A few weeks ago, I rebuilt/upgraded an 091 out of an '82 with the 2.0 Air-cooled engine. That tranny has the 4.57:1 Ring & Pinion.

So, I went with the 1.14 3rd and .77 4th. If the paper work translate into the real world, about 2850 RPMs should yeild about 65 mph using 205/75/15 tires.

I'm installing an ALH TDI '01 model.

Go over to TDIclub.com and see the graph. It is located at the TDI Conversion forums. The Thread is Microbus
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally had a .70 in my 091 tranny. This gear would have been great if I lived in a flatter area. However, since switching to the .77, I can climb more mountain passes in 4th gear now. This helps me climb the passes without revving the engine in 3rd so much. The TDI may have still pulled the .70 better but I am running a 1.9TD IDI engine. I am at 3000rpm at 65 mph with 15" wheels.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an TDI hooked to a 091 with .77 4th with 195 75 16s and I think its just right, with stock tires the .70 would give me the same RPM/MPH that I have now.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do a m-TDI into an automatic with AHU Mk3 1.9 jetta97-99
Kep adapter, Cdn TDI motor, & m-IP
Seems like this is the vulture requirement from a diesel van
So are there no after market cos where you can buy just these
Diesel Van replacement parts

>2. DV oil pan and pick up tube, DV dipstick tube, TDI or DV oil pump
>3. DV aluminum engine brackets and rubber mounts, custom drivers side >bracket from grease works if using stock ex manifold.
now I saw some else say that the volvo 740 mounts work ??
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2933474#2933474

>5. DV coolant hoses.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389572
http://www.greaseworks.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24_66&products_id=535
if I get this set does this mean no needs for the DV hose sets ???
>7. DV carrier bars, seems like the fully rigid type are preferred (some have >rubber isolator on one end). Preferred method is to use Syncro TD carrier >bars but spaced out (lowered in front by 2“) 2wd bar swill work.

that leaves oil pan, tube, dipstick, carrier bars & aluminum engine brackets ??
Does no one in can/us or the fatherland make those as after mkt items ???

Last edited by tclark on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is no. You will need to pack rat the used diesel parts you need. They are still available here and on ebay from time to time. Eurospec lists their own design TDI conversion kits, but mount the engine more upright. I ended up using Saab Turbo Engine mounts. Search my user name in the gallery for pictures. The volvo mounts would not be drop in replacements. There are also different rubber engine mounts for both styles of carrier bars. I am using the carrier bars with the rubber isolaters. The Saab mounts were also not drop in, but what a difference. Regards
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine mounts:

I have used both stock DV and hydraulic, the stock DV are fine and I recommend installing these first since there is no extra fabrication involved. If you want to go with the hydraulic mounts do it later, get it in and running first. If there is really excessive vibration you might have something else wrong.
Using the stock DV engine brackets is the easiest way to install the engine but you'll need to flip the turbo up, ya see this ad:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=919197

If you don't want to do that use the mount from greaseworks for the drivers side.

For the dipstick tube, get a DV tube and Carquest part #608 brake line, the flared end is a little too big for the hole in the block so put it in a drill and sand it down till it is a press fit. Stick a screwdriver with the same diameter as the tube and tap it into the block, fill the recess on top of the flare with JB weld and then insert the DV tube into that, making sure you have the length correct.

http://mtsoprisventures.shutterfly.com/pictures/24

I believe you can also just cut the stock TDI tube and insert the DV tube.

This is all so you can check the oil level from the plate holder hole, if you don't care just bend over the handle on the TDI dipstick, looks ghetto but it works.

quality german for the parts, just call him up and tell him what you need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
taigagreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone on here installed one of the kits from Eurospec in a syncro? Are they made for syncros?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI conversion parts/suppliers list, please add Reply with quote

fairweather wrote:

8. TD or TDI or Donaldson air filter box

What model number for the Donaldson Air box? What is required for air flow/CFM?

Grizz
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to drag this thread back up but I think this is the most appropriate place to post this.

Wanted to clarify something for everyone because I was tripped up by this:
The diesel transmission clutch actuation arm (part no. 251141713c) is different from a gas transmission arm. The bracket (part no 251751281b) is different as well. Was a 'gotcha' moment for me because I didn't pack rat an entire diesel Bellhousing or transmission.

2007 BMW R1200S More HP then 1.5 vanagons

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited Ecodiesel

1998 VW Jetta TDi RiP, it was an organ donor though....
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, is there anywhere you can buy a 15degree install kit?
Really only looking for engine bars/mounts, it's for a AFN tdi circa '98 and is a longitudinal block.
Looking for a friend of mine, needs to be a bolt on job with little to no fabrication needed. I've seen the eurospec kit, was wondering if there is anything else?
Thanks
Oh, he has the KEP adapter plate if that narrows the choice any
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: TDi wannabe Reply with quote

I am beginning to research data for what engine I want to put into my 2WD Doka; I am attracted to the VW 1.9 TDI engine for it's fuel economy. My initial research brings up a lot of good information for these engine types, but in most of the discussions little is mentioned of the HP made available by these diesel engines.

So for a standard VW TDI engine what is the basic horse power one can expect? Also what VW cars does one look for for these engines?

My engine priorities in order of importance are:

1. Power, over the stock WBX and Tiico engines.
2. Fuel economy and versatility
3. Price.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TDi wannabe Reply with quote

That's because it is highly variable for each conversion, mainly dependent on your choice of turbo (and chosen boost), intercooler, gearing, and exhaust. Search rsxr's and Andrew Libby's posts for a good starting point. There are some threads out there that talk HP, here's one to start you out; http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/why_tdi.html

Bill

Bman wrote:
My initial research brings up a lot of good information for these engine types, but in most of the discussions little is mentioned of the HP made available by these diesel engines.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: