Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

221(5/6/7) - The 9 Passenger Info Thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcrjacob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
mikewire wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
The back seat folds down

Really? Any more details on this would be helpful.

My 9 passenger has a back that doesn't fold down.

It's a 75-76+ thing, early seats are solid.

Actually it started in 74

My M-Plate Decode:

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=3447
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drumming123 wrote:
Part of the M501 Kit Surprised

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i recently picked up a 68 off of here and it has all 3 pieces for this conversion. the top picec like the one shown and 2 lower crossbars
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
delux68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:
I bought a goddam bench seat bus before I knew that walkthroughs existed - now that seems to be ALL that exists. I love my bus, but I sure wish I could pop into the back for a sammy without stepping out into the rain!

why not just climb over the bulkhead?
Vntg Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: 9060054 Reply with quote

Hello everyone, this is my 9 passengers '69 Italian Kombi:

It also has M500 option (Full width metal (half-height) partition between cabin and load compartment with 2-seater passenger seat) mentioned on the M-plate:

My Kombi comes without the black padded cover on the metal partition between cabin and load compartment. In the first step I thought that it was removed by the previous owner BUT ... there aren't any hole for assembly it on the metal partition neither the holes were closed.

After an accurate check it seems it was born without holes for rivets and also without the black padded cover. ...My question is: WHY?! Neutral

Green Bay Bus
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What condition was your Kombi in when you got it? Headliner? Any seats installed?

It may be that what you got was the most basic base model that they made for that market, which is essentially a steel box on wheels.

M
Vntg Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got it the "box on wheels" Very Happy was in very good conditions. All the original seats were installed, with their covers (worn but original).
Headliner only in driving cab.

Here in Italy the Kombi with 9 seats and the partition between cabin and load compartment are very commons. The walk-thru is an "unusual version" and it's not so common.
Now what I'm trying to do is to verify how many other Kombis have the option M500 and to understand if they are in the same configuration of mine.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a picture of a latebay 78-79 front seats. Curious if the 1/3 drivers seat is slightly taller than the 2/3? Any help appreciate greatly.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in the brochures?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/type2_2.php

Good Luck
Tcash
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kooldub wrote:
just picked this 71 deluxe up for just the motor, after reading this thread, i thought i had a 9 seater but m-codes say 8 passenger. Confused the PO is still looking for the middles seats Sad so, i take it, it's the just the middle seat that differs from the 9 seater? are the seat mounting the same? couldn't find much info on the 8-seaters.

Correct. So all you need to make it a 9-seat bus is the full width middle seat. I have a pre-1973 full width middle seat in great condition if you are interested.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 221(5/6/7) - The 9 Passenger Info Thread Reply with quote

Just found this thread today so I'll be catching up on all the reading this evening.
Last June I picked up a 7/69 Bus from Yuma, AZ. Has all seats though front had been redone just before I got it. Full length middle seat is pretty toasted. No panels in Pass area but black door panels front with tan basketweave back seats. Looking to see if it came with black panels and tan seats. Here's the
M-plate...

This is bus #569 of the 1970 production year.
Can someone tell me how to put the M-plate decoder at the bottom of my post window?
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 221(5/6/7) - The 9 Passenger Info Thread Reply with quote

I picked up this '69 Nine passenger bus yesterday

1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
entyceingvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 221(5/6/7) - The 9 Passenger Info Thread Reply with quote

I have been a Samba member for about 2 years and this is my first post. I picked up this 69 9 passenger a couple weeks ago. In todays aircooled vw economy I got a very good deal. The way the add was posted said nothing about a non-walkthrough so needless to say I was excited...It is quite complete...all panels and seats. A 1600 dp was sitting in the middle with reap bumper, mustache bar and rear apron... The engine turns out to be a bug engine so after many hours of research I figured out how to use the mustache bar adapter. I got it running on the floor and now it is in the bus. It came with brand new tires as well new master cylinder and brake parts. Not sure if I will keep it or fix up a bit to sell. I have 3 other Bays, a 67 bug and a 88 Vanagon...It has been quite fun to research these "Rare" (USA anyway) It is a Brilliant Blue and white...

bclark357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Anyone have a picture of a latebay 78-79 front seats. Curious if the 1/3 drivers seat is slightly taller than the 2/3? Any help appreciate greatly.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but my driver's seat sits about one inch higher in my 1979 9 passenger.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 221(5/6/7) - The 9 Passenger Info Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Just picked this one up. The good: Very dry, very straight, strong original paint, bench seat. The bad: Not complete, no drivetrain, some hacks. Waiting for a day off to clean it up.

Birdhouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 221(5/6/7) - The 9 Passenger Info Thread FAQ Reply with quote

So was the M501 an option for all bays or just the 68's only?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 221(5/6/7) - The 9 Passenger Info Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Birdhouse wrote:
So was the M501 an option for all bays or just the 68's only?

The holes for it are present on all WT's up to 79 so I'll guess yes, no doubt the cushions supplied differed to match seat changes like the 75 only and the later track slider styles. I suspect they appear on 68's more than others because dealers and production planners were both caught with thier pants down on just what the customer for the new body style were really wanting.
The walkthrough suddenly became standard equipment and many previous owners may still have favoured the bench like thier last bus had.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Birdhouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 221(5/6/7) - The 9 Passenger Info Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks, I have a 68 that is supposed to be an Arizona yellow nine passenger. Unfortunately before i found it all of the interior was stripped out except for the driver seat and the two bottom bars that are part of the m501 kit. This thread has been a huge part of me figuring out exactly what I have. Now to find that third piece! If anyone has just the top piece of the m501 please pm me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gstillwill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 221(5/6/7) - The 9 Passenger Info Thread FAQ Reply with quote

This is a 1974 nine passenger I picked up last wee,. 15 plus years. It is complete and the engine turns over, I got a very good deal on it. Has a tires carier on the front, would that have been added later on?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 221(5/6/7) - The 9 Passenger Info Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Gstillwill wrote:
Has a tires carier on the front, would that have been added later on?

Yes, it didn't come off the boat like that.

Looks like a pretty good bus, congratulations!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 221(5/6/7) - The 9 Passenger Info Thread FAQ Reply with quote

If you own a 9-passenger non-walkthrough Bus and are on FB, I created a group and registry. It's there, representing for the masses. Join and share!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vw9passengerbus/

By all means keep posting here as well!!

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: