Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing wiring harness...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wademurphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Replacing wiring harness... Reply with quote

I have a 68 ghia in need of a new wiring harness. I was thinking of having a professional install it. Any insight into how many hours of work it should take?
sparkleplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing wiring harness... Reply with quote

wademurphy wrote:
I have a 68 ghia in need of a new wiring harness. I was thinking of having a professional install it. Any insight into how many hours of work it should take?

Get a quote for the complete job. Smile Don't let Ennus Wink quote you the job by the hour. Shocked

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who is swimming naked."
wademurphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good idea. Which brings me to my next questions. Whats a reasonable price for the whole job? Think buying the harness online would be less expensive than letting the shop handle parts?
sparkleplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. hard to say...Haven't had anyone install one before. I am... or claim to be a do it yourselfer... Laughing Buy your parts (harness) outside of the shop. Go to a shop that knows what they are doing. Take a look at harness' available from KGPR or House of Ghia...What year car?

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

wademurphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 68. I was thinking of doing it myself but I'm unsure how much time it might take. Replacing the starter is my only experience to speak of.

Last edited by wademurphy on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
wademurphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C17%2DWK%2D143%2D68%2D69&CartID=1

http://www.karmannghia.com/viewDetail.asp?idproduct=3093

These are the only two places I've found with the harness in stock. I'm not sure which is better quality or if they're about the same. The end cost is about the same at either place. Anyone with experience or opinion regarding the matter?
van B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought the complete wiring harness at House of Ghia! The harness got a realy good quality and colors are same as the originial. it takes only 1-2 hours to lay the cables in the car at the exact positions. you only need a good couloured wiring diagram. I can`t say how long it takes to connect them with the lights, engine and so on...

regards
Bjoern
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wademurphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two hours to lay it out? I may just do this myself. I can spare a weekend to put in the harness. Anyone else out there with time estimates?
sparkleplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do it yourself, be sure to attach (tie and tape) a small (thin but strong) sized rope to the end the main harness when you pull it through the body. You will then reverse the procedure when installing the new one. Tie and tape (just in case) up the new one and pull it back through the body with the rope. Otherwise, you will be flipping your lid trying run it through the body of the car. Nightmare... Shocked Also, take as many pictures as you can of the harness that is currently in the car. I would also label as many of the old wires (where they go and what they go to) as possible (just as a backup)... Very Happy You can do it...

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it yourself...the quality loom is readily available as "van b" says...the expertise is "on tap" here when you need it and the search button will find you lots of good links to those who've done it before.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=314838
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=402389

Simply search this forum for "harness" will give you over 300 links.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wademurphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at house of ghia for the wiring harness. Doesn't appear to be in stock. I mentioned the other two places, KGPR and cip1, already. Does anyone have experience with these companies? I'd like to ensure I get the best quality harness I can. I have heard that they are nearly all made by the same company. Wiring werks I believe. Is this the case?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beer sez they're all Wiring Works harnesses.

Wiring Works - Bob Nodvik
2805 Kerckhooff Ave.
San Pedro, CA 90731
(310) 519-8147
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sparkleplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
A beer sez they're all Wiring Works harnesses.

Wiring Works - Bob Nodvik
2805 Kerckhooff Ave.
San Pedro, CA 90731
(310) 519-8147

Thom, did you replace yours in the 56' Ghia? If so, did you buy it from Bob?

van B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with John...follow the links and download the diagram for your car here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringghia.php
for example.
realy...it`s no big thing! i installed my new harness three weeks ago.
I would suggest the harness from house of ghia, talk to mike!! maybe these are same as harness from wiring works!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yours is like my '69, the harness does not run through the rockers like earlier models, it runs (easily accessed) under the door trim moulding. Look for a "bump" in the molding, that's where the harness is. The only place it's semi-hidden is in the rear quarter area where you have two choices- remove the inside panel for access, or use a rope taped to the old harness to feed the new harness in place. I used the rope method, it was quicker. The instructions you get with the new harness are 97% correct and relatively clear. If you have "decent" mechanical/electrical skills, you can do the harness yourself. If you're completely paralyzed by electrical problems, perhaps you should seek help. The big change many people make is to eliminate the hazard light setup and run the turn signals directly through a standard flasher. Remove the fusebox, turn signal and taillight housings and have them bead blasted at your local shop to clean them up.

I REALLY took my time, shot a hundred digital pics while I was taking it apart to make sure I could get it back together properly. I had about 30 hours in it, but could have done it in half the time, easily. Knowing what I know now, it could be done in a day if you don't run into rot problems in light housings and etc. In the long run, the pictures were probably not needed due to the clarity of the new instructions. The factory schematic is difficult to read even if you're versed at electrical and not 100% correct depending on what year your car is. I did add a couple of "safety" fuses that the mfr left out- a 40a on the power feed at the back of the car and a 15a in the ignition switch output. Neither of these are fused from the factory and you know about the "smoke" that you shouldn't let out of wiring.....

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be happy you don't have a 1972-74 fattie with
the more involved fuse panel/relay board. Dancing
1971 and earlier are easier in comparison.

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wademurphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '68. So I do avoid the rocker when rewiring. I sent a message to house of ghia asking about the wiring harness. It doesn't show up in the online store.

I feel confident in my wiring skills. I sometimes build computers and I've neatly wired a computer before. It's a slight stretch but I think I can cleanly wire my ghia. But maybe someone has a few shots of a really tidy wiring job? I could use a reference as to what it should look like in the trunk(behind dash) and in the engine compartment. The wiring harness currently in the ghia is a real mess. As such I've never seen a ghia with good wiring in place. I'll snap some horror shots before I replace it. Before and after photos are nice thread material.
slafa
Samba Member

Location: Where getting a real beer is like winning the lotto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is one thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378216&highlight=rats+nest
1983 Ford 350 Econoline Ambulance
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
various Honda, GMC daily drivers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I replaced mine with a Wiring Works harness, which luckily came with the car.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd concentrate first on getting everything working, and then clean it up with tie wraps and loom upon completion if you like. The dash wiring on Dubs didn't look great from the factory and I left mine in a (mostly) factory appearance upon completion. Adding a couple of fuses was done for safety and I also shrink wrapped the headlight switch wires because they are live hot feeds to the dash. I have one of those big "Ghia" plastic covers that goes hinge-to-hinge to hide the whole dash. Another big driving force is whether you have aftermarket accessories like gauges and big stereo, etc, in which case there will obviously be more circuits to deal with. My dash is stock with the addition of an aftermarket radio. I didn't shoot a full shot of mine when done but I did do a zoom of the HLS with shrinkwrap:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you've wired PC's your skill level is fine. In the long run, I think the skill level needed to replace a harness is a bit lower than I first anticipated. I think I'd feel comfortable at this time starting with an empty car (gutted harness?) and wiring it with ease. 90% of it is a piece of cake, with the turn signals/4 way being a slight challenge, depending on how exact you want to stay to OE. The original TS/4w relay (IIRC) is a big black monstrosity that is a high failure rate unit, difficult/impossible to buy new, and best updated to a newer system. I do have a lot of automotive electrical experience in my pocket over the last 35 years.....

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: