Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My big brake upgrade
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that part that matters is the area of the pads.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My big brake upgrade Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
buy an aftermarket bias valve, etc...

You just have to adjust the one the van has already.

I am quite sure there is a rotor out there that you can get that will fit well, work well and so on. Also not require any modification to work. It is a matter of finding it. I've been looking on and off for quite some time though....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiram6, I did the taurus brakes, and hoses from a 94 buick regal were fine. The bit about the copper pipe extensions makes sense once you get under and flip the cable around, you'll have a big area of slack and figure out that a pipe 4 1/2 inches or so with a little bend will make it tight.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my adapter drawing for anybody interested.
I simply took one posted by another Sambian and moved the holes out to match the bigger rotor.
Again, IIRC, my total offset was .275". This is with a 15-16mm spacer BEHIND the rotor so do the math.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by buildyourown on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I picked up a Cobra rotor and I have a spare hub, (actually I have a pair of complete trailing arm/axle assembly).

The hub does not fit into the rotor, the rotor is dished like a soup bowl on the inside of the hat section, you need the spacer to fill the space where the hub WILL fit in, to the inside face of the rotor.

One of my co=worker has a '95 'stang convertible with rear discs, and 15" wheels, and it has at least an inch clearance between the caliper and the wheel. That might be something to look at for peeps who want to run stock wheels. But if the Cobra wheels won't swallow a hub, I doubt those smaller units will either. I guess theres nothing wrong with putting the space in there rather than on the outside face.
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much for the drawing.

I picked up a base model 2000 Mustang caliper today, $187.00 Shocked

the Cobra rotor I have is 295mm + the caliper adds about 35mm so altogether you need 330mm inside the wheel or about 13", yup I need to convert to get my head around it sometimes too.

This is too spendy, I will have to look for alternatives. Taurus parts must be cheaper, what?
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:

This is too spendy, I will have to look for alternatives. Taurus parts must be cheaper, what?

I'll do a proper write-up and photo documentation once I get set do do mine, but here is where I stand so far.

Eurovan 294mm rotors $22 each (gowesty 10% cost site)
2001 Golf GTI rear calipers $50 pair (vortex classifieds)
Machine hubs (cheap - buddy's lathe)
Studs & Nuts from Loogy $49 and $25
Brackets $? for steel, friend will plasma cut for beer Smile
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James 93SLC wrote:
240Gordy wrote:

I'll do a proper write-up and photo documentation once I get set do do mine, but here is where I stand so far.

Eurovan 294mm rotors $22 each (gowesty 10% cost site)
2001 Golf GTI rear calipers $50 pair (vortex classifieds)
Machine hubs (cheap - buddy's lathe)
Studs & Nuts from Loogy $49 and $25
Brackets $? for steel, friend will plasma cut for beer Smile

Those calipers normally are for 9mm rotors.

Can you span the 13.5 mm that the 294mm rear rotors are?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whafalia wrote:
Hiram6, I did the taurus brakes, and hoses from a 94 buick regal were fine. The bit about the copper pipe extensions makes sense once you get under and flip the cable around, you'll have a big area of slack and figure out that a pipe 4 1/2 inches or so with a little bend will make it tight.

Too late!

I took the easy, but expensive, way out. I had a shop custom make me a pair of brake hoses.

In a way, I'm glad I did, they had some great advice, which I will share here. They said it was a MUST to have some type of bracket at the point where the metal hard line attaches to the rubber hose. Even having the metal line attached a few inches away was no good. Their claim is that having the metal line support any weight at all would lead to a failure.

To address this, they set me up with two brackets that I can attach (either tack weld or screw) to the control arm, and two U-clips that mate to the fittings they used on the brake hoses. I'll post pics when I get this done, pics will help this make sense. Brackets and clips were less than $3 total

$69 was the cost for two custom made hoses, but i feel good about it, I think I've got a really solid set-up. Brakes are not an area where i want to penny-pinch!

It was great to get some great service from guys who really know their business. They understood exactly what I was trying to do, and thought Ford brakes on a VW van was pretty cool. When he handed me the brake hoses, he warned me not to put them on my seat on the drive home. "They may leak a little hydraulic fluid, we let nothing leave our shop without a pressure test." Gotta love that.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

Those calipers normally are for 9mm rotors.

Can you span the 13.5 mm that the 294mm rear rotors are?

Not sure yet. I think maybe different or modified pads will help. I could probably safely have a little bit of meat trimmed from the rotors.

Worst case those calipers end up on my Corrado and I source something else for the van.
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my van rolling for the first time in months today. Got my first impression of these brakes. I did the fronts too. I'll give a rundown of those when I get pictures.

Overall, the pedal has more travel and feels a bit mushy. I might still have air in the lines, or it might be that there is just a lot more fluid to move.
Even with zero miles on them and unbedded pads, I'd say stopping power has improved. I'll run them for 2 weeks and then rebleed.
The parking brake works great. Tested it on a steep hill. It held with very little pressure on the handle. Much better than stock.

After a few trips around the block I heard a rubbing sound which turned into a horrible sounding grind/squeak. After 20min under the van, I realize the end of the parking brake cable was rubbing on the wheel weight. It looks like I'll have to cut that loop off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: