Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pedal pan / Front splash pan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know - I like them! Very Happy

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
KombiMarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why is no one making repros?..... They seem line they would be "simple"...... Whoever took mine off, they left the hardware...lol. I need one for a 65 Kombi.

Thanks Marc
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedal pans make nice nesting homes for field mice.......ugh!!! The one out of my 66.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bcampagnolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Everett for the pointer here. I have my first powder coat part for my buddy. Very Happy
And I will be able to attach it thanks to this thread.

As for the repo parts. Does this work? KF? They have rh and lh?
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_shop.product_pid_55602535_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

Pricey.

Paul
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottvw wrote:
Pedal pans make nice nesting homes for field mice.......ugh!!! The one out of my 66.

Too true. Here's one from a Fleetline, filled to capacity with all sorts of rubbish from decades of sitting.

I've now had this pan reproduced by hand after failing to find another for my first Fleetline.

By the way, the passenger door handle wasn't put there by me - it had been sitting underneath the bus, in the tray, for AT LEAST twenty years.

WtF Question

iowegian wrote:
People who are allowed to have signature lines annoy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcampagnolo wrote:
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_shop.product_pid_55602535_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

Pricey.

Paul

I would imagine if you got it from a US supplier it may be a little cheaper...? Since you are in the US.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoop Bob wrote:
bcampagnolo wrote:

Pricey.

Paul

I would imagine if you got it from a US supplier it may be a little cheaper...? Since you are in the US.

Yes.

Or if you are in the USA, buy an original out of the classifieds on this site.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. In that link it says 55-67, but it is flat like a barndoor one.

I'm not sure Klassic Fab is making the later pedal pan.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

In looking at this excellent thread about the various eras of belly pans, I have a stupid detail question. I'm out of town and can't check under my own Buses. So look on page one, look at the 9th and 10th photo down, the photos are of a LHD belly pan. Look at the smallish rectangular pressing, looks to be about 1/4 inch or so deep on the right hand side of this LHD pan, opposite of the cutout area for the steering box. Okay, why, and when did that impression appear? Out-of-town, anal-retentive minds want to know???

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
So look on page one, look at the 9th and 10th photo down, the photos are of a LHD belly pan. Look at the smallish rectangular pressing, looks to be about 1/4 inch or so deep on the right hand side of this LHD pan, opposite of the cutout area for the steering box. Okay, why, and when did that impression appear? Out-of-town, anal-retentive minds want to know???

Bill

EverettB wrote:
Note bump where master cylinder switch is located, this was possibly added when the change to push-terminal connections was made:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
BulliBill wrote:
So look on page one, look at the 9th and 10th photo down, the photos are of a LHD belly pan. Look at the smallish rectangular pressing, looks to be about 1/4 inch or so deep on the right hand side of this LHD pan, opposite of the cutout area for the steering box. Okay, why, and when did that impression appear? Out-of-town, anal-retentive minds want to know???

Bill

EverettB wrote:
Note bump where master cylinder switch is located, this was possibly added when the change to push-terminal connections was made:

I don't think that is the reason, because as you can see in this pic:

...the cutout for the '67 DCMC is almost directly behind the steering box cutout. The rectangular pressing is on the other side of the pan. I'm going to guess that it's to give the parking brake more clearance.
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the parking brake change in 1960? That would make sense, because the MC is right behind the steering box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little live action here for the thread. Here's the original pedal pan coming down off the 59 kombi I drove out last Summer. Gotta' love it when the buses come to us more or less complete!

Link

For comedy relief, here's the link to that thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=474360&highlight=rat+attack+kombi
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
In looking at this excellent thread about the various eras of belly pans, I have a stupid detail question. I'm out of town and can't check under my own Buses. So look on page one, look at the 9th and 10th photo down, the photos are of a LHD belly pan. Look at the smallish rectangular pressing, looks to be about 1/4 inch or so deep on the right hand side of this LHD pan, opposite of the cutout area for the steering box. Okay, why, and when did that impression appear? Out-of-town, anal-retentive minds want to know?

I can't say for sure but in looking at my '61, which has no pedal pan installed, the front heater pipe is there, maybe the heater pipe sits lower up front at some point, maybe when the heater pipe size was increased in mid-1964?

The e-brake parts are above the heater tube on my smaller-tubed '61 so I don't think it's the e-brake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm not near any Buses right now to look, and I'd love to know why (and as of when) some Volkswagen engineer ordered that little, shallow rectangular pressing right there. So it lines up with the heater tube, huh? I'm surprized that Clara, Greg or Lind hasn't popped on here and cleared this up yet! Ahhh! the little mysteries! Thanks Everrett and all for the replies/theories so far!

Holy Crap! Thats a lot of rat nest material in that pan Kombinista! I about died laughing when we dropped the belly pan on the "Flood Bus" (completely underwater in the 1995 Mississippi River flood for two weeks) and found a 16" catfish skeleton laying there!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
BulliBill wrote:
In looking at this excellent thread about the various eras of belly pans, I have a stupid detail question. I'm out of town and can't check under my own Buses. So look on page one, look at the 9th and 10th photo down, the photos are of a LHD belly pan. Look at the smallish rectangular pressing, looks to be about 1/4 inch or so deep on the right hand side of this LHD pan, opposite of the cutout area for the steering box. Okay, why, and when did that impression appear? Out-of-town, anal-retentive minds want to know?

I can't say for sure but in looking at my '61, which has no pedal pan installed, the front heater pipe is there, maybe the heater pipe sits lower up front at some point, maybe when the heater pipe size was increased in mid-1964?

The e-brake parts are above the heater tube on my smaller-tubed '61 so I don't think it's the e-brake.

I retract this. I found a pedal pan with the impression and laid it up against my '61 Double Cab and the impression is to the right of the heater tube.

I found this photo of my old '66 and the heater tube doesn't look like it would line up either

On my '61 the impression is about where the front to rear floor rib is located, to the right side of the heater tube (to the left in the photo).
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back at the pics in this thread, the picture of the original 62 pedal pan does not show the rectangular depression so, apparently, it appeared sometime after that.

It's function remains a mystery to me. Looking at it's location, relative to the edge where the pan screws to the chassis rib, seems to place it in "no-man's land" in Everett's picture--somewhere between the rib and the heater tube--where nothing appears to exist that would warrant a change in the sheet metal. Anyone have some good suggestions?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nearly perfect pan where the round tab is not a welded on piece like in the pic below, but instead is a contiguous part of the pan and just bent up to the 90 degree position.

Based on the shape of the cut-out for the steering, and the bumps for the front mounting bolts, I think it is a 61-66 pan maybe?

I have a Feb 57 bus so I need to find the correct pan. Besides the different cutout shape, should I be looking for the welded on tab, contiguous tab or no tab at all? I think the welded on version, but can someone confirm?
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW here's a couple pics of the pedal pan off of my '65. I assume it's in original paint, and original to the bus, but who knows.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olliehank47 wrote:
Looking back at the pics in this thread, the picture of the original 62 pedal pan does not show the rectangular depression so, apparently, it appeared sometime after that.

It's function remains a mystery to me. Looking at it's location, relative to the edge where the pan screws to the chassis rib, seems to place it in "no-man's land" in Everett's picture--somewhere between the rib and the heater tube--where nothing appears to exist that would warrant a change in the sheet metal. Anyone have some good suggestions?

Has the possibility of a RHD modification been mentioned? Does a RHD bus have something in that area that needs a little clearance? It would make sense that VW would have produced one pan for either type, and removed or left material depending on the end use.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: