Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pedal pan / Front splash pan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

I just got this one for my '58 bus. I actually didn't realize that there were differences between years, until I found this topic. Great info!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I planned to get the underbody coating off and have it sandblasted, but the amount and quality of original paint is stunning Very Happy

Is this a '67 model because of the MC cutout?
Will it fit on my '58?

Thanks all!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

See page 1 on how to cut an earlier pan to make it a 1967. Should fit fine.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

Peter_N wrote:

Is this a '67 model because of the MC cutout?
Will it fit on my '58?

Thanks all!

I imagine it will fit on your 58 but it is not correct for that year.

Maybe try to find someone that has a 67 and needs your pan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

I found a pedal pan for my January 1957. It has some type of fabric tape on a couple of the mounting edges. Anyone see anything like this before?

It seems like a good idea to keep the underneath primer paint from getting scratched up, and maybe some minor sealing effect too?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

I have seen remnants of that cloth tape, too. Not sure of its exact construction, but it seemed to be an attempt to seal off the front edge of the pan where it meets the inside of that front valence.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

Think that tape would just hold in water, dirt to cause rust. Sealing any edge with all the big holes in the pan would be a waste of effort. Suppose if you really want to protect the underside primer you could glue rubber washers around each bolt hole in the pan.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

Hardware for the pedal pan -

Here are the screws and washers for the sides (usually seems to be two on each side).

The front and rear are just 6mmx10mm long with 10mm heads. Plus a washer.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I have seen remnants of that cloth tape, too. Not sure of its exact construction, but it seemed to be an attempt to seal off the front edge of the pan where it meets the inside of that front valence.
That looks like the same cloth tape that I found on my safari window hinges.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

Rhd early pedal pan, seems to be painted black not grey.

Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Earlier pans (55-57?) have this highlighted area spot welded on - note this first pan shown was identified by a member as a 65-66 pan and is just highlighted for reference

Actual pan:

x/438286.jpg[/img]

Small update to the dating of the spotwelded lip.
I pulled the pedal pan from the 306 Kombi. Much of this bus is original and unmolested and I have no reason to believe the pedal pan is not original to the bus.
The pedal pan has the spot welded lip and the bus is an early September 1958, so the spot welded lip went that late anyhow. It also has the non recess front face.
There are remnants of the cloth strip used to seal the pedal pan to the bus all the way around, not just on the front of the pan.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

My friend was needing a pedal pan for his bus so I got mine down the other day to see if I could help him out and I noticed some differences that I thought I'd share.

There are two early flat pans in my stash and there is a minor difference. It does not look like a hack job to me. The "missing" piece has a rounded cut in the corner and doesn't look damaged otherwise.

62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1cool21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

I’m adding a nice OG splash pan. Is it simply bolted to the frame? I have the bolt/washer kit but wondering if any seal goes in between frame and splash pan?? Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

On a somewhat unrelated note I unfortunately bought the CIP repro pedal pan.. FAIL!

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D703%2D611%2DB

it is off in so many ways (mounting holes stamped in wrong location, profile of metal doesn't fit underside profile of bus too well- sheet metal is too tight around steering box etc etc) it it debatable why they even went to the bother of offering it. Does anyone make a decent repro or is it better buying used?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

1cool21 wrote:
I’m adding a nice OG splash pan. Is it simply bolted to the frame? I have the bolt/washer kit but wondering if any seal goes in between frame and splash pan?? Thanks in advance!

Lots of images earlier in this thread show the bolt holes.

Read the posts at the top of page 5 for the "seal" info.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Does anyone make a decent repro or is it better buying used?

Is there something wrong with the one from Wolfsburg West? I've got to imagine it's reasonably accurate, most stuff from them is.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211703609B
The only thing that would tip me off that it's NOT accurate is that it doesn't carry the "Made by Wolfsburg West" claim (and thus comes from somewhere else, like Klokkerholm or...). It does look like the same CIP offering, but I see a few very minor differences.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

I don't recall the brand name on the CIP splash pan but it was made by a third party. Shame to put all that effort into repopping it and miss out on the basics
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
The bolts are same as used on the gen tin to bolt to the fan shroud.

Think the self tapping screws were later fix for stripped holes.

http://www.oacdp.org/5867part/345.png

Shows the 6x10 bolts quantity as 8 per bus.

The larger diameter 6.3 x 13 self tapping bolts #29 on the other hand has an "X" for quantity.

Saw this post today due to a search from another thread asking about the bolts/screws and thought I would reply.

While I agree those could be used as a fix for stripped bolts and that may explain the "X", there are more than 8 mounting spots so I think there are 8 bolts used and an "X" (unknown?) number of tapping screws used on a lot of Buses.

I made a diagram below of what I have seen
1-8 are bolts
9-12 are the self-tapping screws

Post from above with similar info:
nlorntson wrote:

Here are the screws and washers for the sides (usually seems to be two on each side).

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
The bolts are same as used on the gen tin to bolt to the fan shroud.

Think the self tapping screws were later fix for stripped holes.

http://www.oacdp.org/5867part/345.png

Shows the 6x10 bolts quantity as 8 per bus.

The larger diameter 6.3 x 13 self tapping bolts #29 on the other hand has an "X" for quantity.

Saw this post today due to a search from another thread asking about the bolts/screws and thought I would reply.

While I agree those could be used as a fix for stripped bolts and that may explain the "X", there are more than 8 mounting spots so I think there are 8 bolts used and an "X" (unknown?) number of tapping screws used on a lot of Buses.

I made a diagram below of what I have seen
1-8 are bolts
9-12 are the self-tapping screws

Post from above with similar info:
nlorntson wrote:

This is what is on most og buses I have seen
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

I dug out the pan that I bought a few years ago, but never fitted and offered it up this afternoon.

I have a dual circuit master cylinder conversion and a Bay window anti-roll bar (sway bar).

I knew that I'd need to alter the pan to work with the master cylinder, but after offering up the pan, it looks like the anti-roll bar will prevent it fitting altogether.

Has anyone with an anti-roll bar successfully fitted a splash pan?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal pan / Front splash pan Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

Has anyone with an anti-roll bar successfully fitted a splash pan?

Think it started in late 1965 for the start of anti-roll bar stock, and continued thru 1966-67 model years with a stock pedal pan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: