Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Introducing Doodle, the 1977 Westfalia.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Introducing Doodle, the 1977 Westfalia. Reply with quote

Well, its me again. Remember how last time I told you a Sage Green Westy was what I always wanted, and how I found one and was so happy? Well happiness comes in twos sometimes. I got wind of a rust free 1977 Westfalia Deluxe (does that mean stove?) that had a rebuilt motor, was still FI, currently in possession by the fourth owner since new, and had service records since 1984.

Was I interested? Why, yes, yes I was. So I went by and took a look with my wife to see what it was all about.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When we got there, we met a super nice lady, who refused to have her picture taken, who told us about "Doodle" her '77. She bought it in Colorado in late 1999 and drove it around camping in the mountains for a month before driving it back to Texas. Under her care, Doodle traveled to Colorado again, Canada, Mexico and various places in Texas. He had recently been retired to the garage in favor of a two wheeled toy, and she was looking for a good home. Other than a dead battery, and a mostly deteriorated engine seal, he looked complete, and super nice. Inside was just as nice. Still complete with the stool, dash table and childs cot, amazing. She handed me the keys, and I slid them in the ignition. It took me a second to realize the noise I was hearing was the buzzer letting you know you forgot your keys. Wow. Even has bus rated tires already (even though they are dated, and getting replaced with my new Vanco2s.)

After a little (very little) persuasion and a new battery, he fired right up and idled fine. I didnt want to drive it far w/o the engine seal but the around the block trip was awsome. No shimmies, shakes, odd noises, anything. Stopped and ran great. All lights and blinkers and everything worked. I drove back, and we made the deal on the spot. I was happy.

Title signed, money changed hands, tearful goodbyes were said, and when she handed me the keys, she also gave me:

I had never heard of it, but I plan to read it. She said she was given it when she bought the bus, and felt it right to pass on a copy. She also has lots of pics from campsites with the bus, and I really hope she sends me some like she said. Anywhoo, I didn't want to drive the 90 miles back to my house without going over the bus first, so I hooked it up to my Jeremyrockjock towbar, and went to the house. A little manuvering, and I got him into the garage. Been garage kept his whole life, and I plan to continue that. More pictures when the rain stops and I can get him outside. I called up a buddy who was looking for a camper project, and promptly sold my other Sage Green Westy to him, recouping half my costs on this one. I can't stop grinning.

I'm going to have a ton of questions, because I've never owned a FI bus before, or a bus this nice, and I want to make sure it stays that way, whatever I have to do.

Very Happy

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim

Last edited by Kirk on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice score. This spring, summer and fall should be eventful for you.

Congrats.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat4freak1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really nice bus and that is also a great book. Its about a guys spiritual journey in a vw bus. I've read it a few times. Right in the middle right now actually. Congrats.
BaxterGG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade you Smile

Man Kirk, looks great! Keep her forever! Remember, mine is and will always be a year younger!!!

'57 Beetle
'75 Bay Window Westfalia
‘81 Vanagon Westfalia
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome find! Congrats!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!, nothing better than a well kept non project, now change the fuel lines and go camping!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice ,good score!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Congrats!

Red shocks... Konis perhaps?

yuthi'so'coro
MattFoley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that it is the same Donald Miller that wrote Through Painted Deserts. It is a book about a road trip from Texas to Oregon in a bus. A little preachy and spiritual for me. But it is a good travel and vw story, including a pick your own junkyard in Vegas. Here is the link for Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Through-Painted-Deserts-Ligh...amp;sr=8-5
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Sweet!, nothing better than a well kept non project, now change the fuel lines and go camping!

The reciepts show they were all replaced five years ago when the motor was rebuilt, but I plan to check them all thoroughly.

MattFoley wrote:
I assume that it is the same Donald Miller that wrote Through Painted Deserts. It is a book about a road trip from Texas to Oregon in a bus. A little preachy and spiritual for me. But it is a good travel and vw story, including a pick your own junkyard in Vegas. Here is the link for Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Through-Painted-Deserts-Ligh...amp;sr=8-5

Funny, this one is about a trip from Texas to Oregon in a bus. He wrote two about the same things?

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! My wife and I found the sage green westy (1978) we've been waiting for last week, and thanks to the good folks on this forum, safely drove it the 500 miles home from Los Angeles without a hitch Applause

Fuel Injection. Very nice.

Broken engine compartment lid hold-up bracket though. The little wheel which guides the large hairpin shaped rod dealy-bob is broken. Not sure how to fix that, and don't see any replacements on any of the suppliers sites. Any ideas anyone? It looks like it's riveted on it's metal bracket too, so I can't imagine how to get the broken one off.

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
onion456
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome score, kirk! it going to make it to the classic? comin up fast... lets make sure we meet up this time!

ps post up some pics of the interior =)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jerry Hundley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome find man!!!!!!

Because Stock Sucks!!!!
70 baywindow deluxe
65 slammed bug
69 bug
64 drag buggy
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You going to keep the " Very Happy "?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am. I took some new pictures today, but I still haven't had a chance to clean it up much.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then me and the daughter hopped in it, and took it to Sonic for the first time. Hell to the yes.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
2bayday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet dude! I can tell you really appreciate this bus.

I picked up a 1979 sage/brown Westy last summer with the same AC unit. Is your fusebox in its original location? Mine was lowered about 5 inches when the AC was installed, I assume for easier access to the fusebox. They cut and extended all the wires connected to the fusebox to do this. Can you get at your fusebox easily? I didn't notice if that mod was necessary because I removed the dashboard unit as soon as I got it home, it was loose and the compressor was already removed. After removing it I noticed the fusebox was lowered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, you guys look so stoked
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Doodle, the 1977 Westfalia. Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:

Was I interested? Why, yes, yes I was. So I went by and took a look with my wife to see what it was all about.

Very Happy

Something tells me if she doesn't want her photo taken then she probably wouldn't like her house and both her license plates posted on the internet either. Really nice bus by the way!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: