Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pros and cons of the Audi V6 conversion.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more pics. Seems these are installed in a SA Syncro though

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/thomas/wanda/engine/index.htm

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Subies vs Audi Reply with quote

Like one poster said, someone took note of the Subie engine being about the same size as a Vanagon WBXer and did the 1st conversion......others followed!

I do remember back in the late 70s or early 80s (early Subies) the Suby engine had head issues just like the VW WBXer engines. They were notorious to blow head gaskets....... I guess Suby got their $hit together and corrected the problem in later models! I've never driven anything Suby powered or Audi powered, therefore no comment on the reliability, power, maintenance, etc.

I'm doing a VW TDI transplant in my Vanagon ........ all VW!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs the amphicar conversion now. If it looks like a boat, it might as well float.
the 2.8 is only 175 horses anyway. unless you want to rev the crap out of it like every 4 cyl now.
it exceeds the height dimension. we have 25" under the deck with a street ground clearance of 10" My ej22 has 7.5" at the oilpan.
just saw a 96 a4, running at the junkyard in their used car lot next to a 97 outback. they sell for 1150.00$ the ob was sold and no price was evident..
on the audi forum [a4/a6] they are complaining of the topend leaking. motor oil running down the rr and lf corners. gaskets. 2001+
When you try to re-engineer vw's, dont do it with more of the same. the rep is burned.
and putting a V8 in a vanagon sort of makes you a virus. V8s are for racing and towing. teenagers with v8s-btdt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ANGOVAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd go this route when the 1.8t has + power and better fuel economy. Honestly I've never met one person who's done the 1.8t swap thats not 100% satisfied. I have talked to people with other swaps who aren't for one reason or another....

I ran across this tonight and thought the same thing. I love my 1.8T conversion and got 18.6 mpg going up (and down) in the Sierra's last weekend. 240hp 250#T +-. I can't believe how much better it runs at elevation. OH soooo happy! Very Happy Very Happy
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thummmper wrote:
It needs the amphicar conversion now. If it looks like a boat, it might as well float.
the 2.8 is only 175 horses anyway. unless you want to rev the crap out of it like every 4 cyl now.
it exceeds the height dimension. we have 25" under the deck with a street ground clearance of 10" My ej22 has 7.5" at the oilpan.
just saw a 96 a4, running at the junkyard in their used car lot next to a 97 outback. they sell for 1150.00$ the ob was sold and no price was evident..
on the audi forum [a4/a6] they are complaining of the topend leaking. motor oil running down the rr and lf corners. gaskets. 2001+
When you try to re-engineer vw's, dont do it with more of the same. the rep is burned.
and putting a V8 in a vanagon sort of makes you a virus. V8s are for racing and towing. teenagers with v8s-btdt

The best all around performer(aside from the 5cyclinder diesel i drove at Syncro De Mayo) is the 1.8t "." It fits and performs as it shoulda from the factory. Best thing is with just a chip, exhaust, and intake you get well over 30hp/torque then stock.
I drove for over a yr in stock mode thinking it was chipped from get go. Afyter i activated the chip i was even more blow away......(thanx vwhead for informing me of activateing the chip). Given the Vanagon and Westfalias weight yer just waisteing $ on any other conversion(aside from a 5cyclinder audi tdi). These vans are just too heavy for a normal driver to behappy with under 200hp: In my humble opinion Cool
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two of those 2.8L Audi V6s (see sig). They're generally a very hardy design, with few obvious flaws. The factory headgaskets will leak oil, and oil consumption seems a bit more than I'm used to with other engines, especially my tight original WBX. They're an interference engine, but I can't figure out why they'd do that. They have a weird mix of Hitachi and Bosch engine management. The only problems I've had with this system is that the cam sensor died on one of the cars. That project turned into a full-blown headgasket R&R extravaganza that's gone on for over six months...'cause I hate workin' on split-bank-configured engines. I hate everything about them. If I can ever succeed in killing my WBX, it's getting an inline engine. I'd gladly trade both V6 Audis for the ultra rare '95.5 Avant with the killer AAN inline fiver--which btw, would make a far far better candidate for a Van conversion.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

except for the 1.8. there is a lot of problems with the v6s. there was a guy named dave that put a GM 2.9 60 deg v6 in the back of a vgon and it had great power but it shook the mirrors off at 3200. the vr6 is too tall.
the svx is a room hog and eats transmissions. spend 3x on the trans more than the svx. thats why I like factory matching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANGOVAY wrote:
you'd go this route when the 1.8t has + power and better fuel economy. Honestly I've never met one person who's done the 1.8t swap thats not 100% satisfied. I have talked to people with other swaps who aren't for one reason or another....

I ran across this tonight and thought the same thing. I love my 1.8T conversion and got 18.6 mpg going up (and down) in the Sierra's last weekend. 240hp 250#T +-. I can't believe how much better it runs at elevation. OH soooo happy! Very Happy Very Happy

Cool
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: I did consider this.... Reply with quote

I considered the v6, the vr6, and the corrado g60, and an aba with the neuspeed super charger. I didn't go Audi v6 due to not finding one for the $ i wanted to spend. I passed on the vr6 cause of clearence issues down low(whats the since in haveing a syncro with reduced clearence). I passed on the g60 given the one person i knew who did this swap had alot of issues with plumbing the boost and getting it to run right. The prob with the aba with neuspeed charger was the price of the charger alone was twicw what i paid for a complete 1.8t swap. Stefan got ahold of me and recomended the 1.8t. He also informed me he got it through smog/legal issues. Before i went to Sac to get my swap i stopped by his shop and he let me drive his van: I WAS SOLD!!!!!!! The thing broke traction quicker then my r32!!!!!!!
My advice is drive every swap you can. Don't just fallow the herd since everyones needs are different. Get a feel for what the swap will do before waisteing hard earned cash on something yer not 100% happy with "."
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredward's right. 1.8T folks if you don't have a Vanagon equipped with one,I suggest you take a test drive in one. Serious power without the nuisance of added cylinders.
---------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWhead wrote:
Dredward's right. 1.8T folks if you don't have a Vanagon equipped with one,I suggest you take a test drive in one. Serious power without the nuisance of added cylinders.

Not to mention quite, dependable, easly tuned for power, plenty of spares, did we say powere to spare, better gas mileage, and obd diagnosics....I could go on and on.....
The only other motors i'd consider would be a porsche 6, an inline 5cycl Audi(diesel or gas turbo), the 2.7t from the s4, or a tdi(2000-2004). Prob for me a tthe time of decideing was a tdi was waaaaay costlier the the 1.8t. With the tdi i'd of had to rebuild my trans and re-gear it, thats more $ then i had at the time....My other top choices would've been way more $ to source and install as well.
Given the deal i got on the 1.8t swap made the choice a no brainer......
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does a 1.8t swap cost? Or what does a good used motor go for? Thanks, Joel
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escorial Syncro wrote:
What does a 1.8t swap cost? Or what does a good used motor go for? Thanks, Joel

I got a the swap for $1k. How ever a few items have to be made to make the engine interface with the vans transmission....That is a fact with any swap you do.....
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any photos of your 1.8T conversion dredward?

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:

MG

Yes i do. Hows do i post pics? I forgot it was so long ago.....
[img]http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t338/bigdredward/carandvanpix031.jpg?t=1275579189[/img]
[img]http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t338/bigdredward/carandvanpix032.jpg?t=1275579189[/img]
[img]http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t338/bigdredward/carandvanpix029.jpg?t=1275579189[/img]
[img]http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t338/bigdredward/carandvanpix027.jpg?t=1275579189[/img]
[img]http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t338/bigdredward/carandvanpix028.jpg?t=1275579189[/img]

Last edited by dredward on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredward wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

MG

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Or if you like, you can email them to me (see my signature line below) and I can post them for you.

My 1.8T project has been on hold for a while due to time constraints, but I am REALLY excited about getting it done.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to remove the '?t=1275579189' from the Urls.

dredward wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

MG

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
dredward wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

MG

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Or if you like, you can email them to me (see my signature line below) and I can post them for you.

My 1.8T project has been on hold for a while due to time constraints, but I am REALLY excited about getting it done.

you have mail.....
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the lid fit and close still, Dredward?

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinal Tap wrote:
Does the lid fit and close still, Dredward?

You have to raise the deck lid aprox 1.5 inches...After raiseing the deck lid it's closed and sealed.... Keep in mind if you have a Doka it fit with no decklid mods....I love how this engine sounds at idle: purrs like a kittin!! Under load or on/off throttle even better....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: