Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

At Wits End. No A/C = Sell the Westy
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: At Wits End. No A/C = Sell the Westy Reply with quote

Hi all,

My family (2 kids and a dog) need A/C in our Westy and I don't know what to do. We are on the verge of selling her if we can't manage to get a fix to the problem. Driving in the heat of the summer is too much to bear. It's really hard seeing your two your old melt in 100+ degree weather.

Any ideas? We have added tinted windows, tried driving at night (difficult to work around and a bit dangerous when tired), water squirters with ice, etc. I wouldn't mind retrofitting her if the price is right but I don't even really know where to begin.

Anyone else in the same boat? Any ideas floating around out there?
Thanks and cheers,
Kev
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A/C systems in a westy are largely contained at the back of the van, with the exception of the switch. It wouldn't be a particularly big job to transplant a system from a wrecked van.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some posts you will find here that refer to a hot rodders solution for aftermarket A/C. I have totally forgotten the name of the company...I think they are in Texas. Anyway, pretty spendy, but your Westy is worth it man! I can relate though. Just spend some time searching the forum...you will find plenty of info.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying your van doesn't have AC or it's just broken? It isn't clear.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sell it to me.

i'll take good care of it.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if yours doesn't function or if you're not satisfied with the crappy cooling power.

If it doesn't work, any idea why?

One thing I've been told is that they blow colder using the old Freon not the R134A. Costs waaaay more but it works better.

My AC is more than acceptable in the back seat, it's just up front that you roast. Maybe just learn to drive from the back, problem solved.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But really, you might want to search for some of terrykays posts...he's quite helpful sometimes on the a/c topic.

I did the redtek converion and am one happy camper.

but sell me your westy anyways.
ohlott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking to spend some money there is a company in San diego.
It is callled http://www.iceac.com/
They will install one that works well for you.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC & RedTek

One of my personal favorites... Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=292488
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the resurrection of my ac ahead of me. gotta make up new hoses to adapt to the suby. the main electrical center of the factory system is on the E pillar, that is the left rear hatch pillar. there are several fuseable links and relays there. boning the kit out of a donor is the only real solution that fits. the under-dash hot rod kits dont apply to vanagons. there is too much collision structure crossing under the steer column to fit that bulky kit.
now, you have a westy. the older oe kits, like pre '86, were cab-only cieling plastic units with the conduits running down the drivers B pillar aft to the compressor. these kits had the standard condenser up front only. you could do well with that kit. I know of an 86 vanagon GL with that kit in it for 600 bx. Its been sitting in a parking lot in orange calif. for over a year.
my factory ac for my 92 toyota pu was almost 800 installed. perspective.
you will burn almost a grand having ac put in, unless you do most of it yourself.
It can be done.

todd
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question;

Does your Westfalia have the AC component's, or are they all tore out--or is the Van AC delete from the showrroom?

I'd like an idea of where your at here prior to making suggestions, or telling you what you might have to do to get some cool air in your Van. Question
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the entire factory installation without the compressor. I guess it broke. Where I live I don't need it but because I have it I pay the tax on it. I haven't really been exposed to hot weather in it but plan to use the 12V fan and wing windows for my solution. If I could take it all out, I'd send it to you but I think that would deface my Westy. I only go south or plan to in the winter.

I understand your need and as everyone else you will find solutions here at the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.vintageair.com
About $1500 for the kit i think. But it provides air up front.

This is of course if your a/c is beyond repair or missing altogether.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

relocate to more temperate climes Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<I have the resurrection of my ac ahead of me. gotta make up new hoses to adapt to the suby. the main electrical center of the factory system is on the E pillar, that is the left rear hatch pillar.>>

Don't go looking for the relays on the "E" pillar--you'lll be 10 ft. beyond the back end of the Van.

To get the correct hose hook up to the compressor of the subaru compressor, just hit a Parker hose dealer, and have them make some jumper hoses, from where your at to where you have to be.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: ac Reply with quote

Google up "truck cab air conditioners" - lots of 12 v units that would sit nicely up top in the useless front luggage rack that would provide you with good cooling for the entire interior
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been hashed over here several times.

The roof units eat up too much space, and are dimensionally prohibitive to be bolting up in the luggage rack--plus your going to have to chop a hole in the roof to get this accomplished.

Now---your back to sqare one.

Instead of blowing cool air just in back of the Van , your now getting frostbite on your forehead.

Nothing is centrally located in these vehicles to benifit the whole cab at once.

I'm still waiting to find out what the OP has in his vehicle.

That will narrow this tale & solution down pretty quick.
delta-vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at his pictures, I don't think he has A/C in his Westy.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea have the wife, kids and dog sit in the back of the van Question Seriously would a 12V fan placed near the output of the A/C circulate the cooler air?

But we still don't know if he has a non functional A/C or no set up whatsoever.

We have this law in Ontario that you just can't refill the coolant, you have to pay for a full inspection BEFORE getting refilled. I gave up years ago on automobile A/C even tho I've had it in almost every vehicle. And it does get really hot, humid and debilitating muggy in my area in July/August. From experience I've learned that the hoses will always leak within a few months of getting new ones. Nature of the beast. How do other RV's handle their units usually found on the roofs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most other RV's handle the roof mounted AC pretty simple--they don't have to pop a top at a 45 degree angle to walk around below it--thay have a full time horizontal surface to operate on.

This is why they won't function on a Westfalia--
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: