Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things heard while driving your Thing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.Glo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same day within an hour
1. "wow that's really all metal, thick metal too" - ???wtf?
2. guy in a Lumina APV - "You know what that is right?"
me "Yeah a vw thing"
guy "no its an exact replica of a staff car"
me " oh thanks, i never really knew..."
vws-microcars4jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Glo wrote:
same day within an hour
1. "wow that's really all metal, thick metal too" - ???wtf?
2. guy in a Lumina APV - "You know what that is right?"
me "Yeah a vw thing"
guy "no its an exact replica of a staff car"
me " oh thanks, i never really knew..."

You must be a nice person. I would have continued the conversation:

me "You know what that is right?"
guy "Yeah, a Lumina APV"
me "No, its a POS Chevy built for soccer moms"
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, the guy in front of the hardware atore...I know I spend too much time at the hardware store, another week of vacation and then I can go back to work and get some rest Laughing Says, "cool ride, is that an Army truck?" Ya, I said, the German Army. Laughing

BNMike
greg mgm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to get any comments about my Thing...but I need to be ready with something witty when someone says that it's a nazi car. Rolling Eyes
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg mgm wrote:
. . . I need to be ready with something witty when someone says that it's a nazi car. Rolling Eyes

You could throw some facts at them —
First produced in 1968, 23 years after VE day.

The military version has been used by:
Austria
Belgium
Brunei
Denmark
France
Germany
Great Britain
Greece
Mexico
Morocco
Portugal
Switzerland
Netherlands
Turkey
Also used by US forces serving in Germany.
alex77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last week I was driving on the freeway on the slow lane and every other car that was passing me on the left lanes were honking at me and at first i did not put any atention to them and then as they started to came more frequent i started to worry about it because maybe they were warning me about something and i turn to the car on the left lane and they were giving me a thumbs up

and once when i crossed the border the cbp oficial said to me what year is it? is it 1940's
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg mgm wrote:
I have yet to get any comments about my Thing...but I need to be ready with something witty when someone says that it's a nazi car. Rolling Eyes

Some guy in a piece of junk 70's Ford rolled up next to my camo Thing (while I was trying to change lanes) and asked where my swastikas were.. I suppose the obvious answer would be "wrong war!!", but didn't have time to say it. It is generally better to ignore those comments.
greg mgm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow73kubel wrote:
greg mgm wrote:

Some guy in a piece of junk 70's Ford rolled up next to my camo Thing (while I was trying to change lanes) and asked where my swastikas were.. I suppose the obvious answer would be "wrong war!!", but didn't have time to say it. It is generally better to ignore those comments.

Ask him where his crack pipe is...
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Things heard... Reply with quote

Recently i've been getting the old...

Hey dont those things float?
Hitler invented that car!!

Ok, I understand der furher had the idea of a peoples car, but Ferdinand Porsche desighned it,

But wasnt that orginally "the Beetle"...

and
Were Schwimmwagen's THAT popular that everybody thinks THINGS float?? Did the GI's talk about em that much upon return?

Funny where these "ideas" come from I suppose.
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow73kubel wrote:
greg mgm wrote:

We all know that the Thing was originally built as a military/civil service vehicle which evolved from the WWII German Kubelwagen, and looks very similar to it's predecessor. So when the guy in the Ford made a comment about swastikas he got the right war, and almost the right car, but clearly that was just a stupid thing to say.

The way I look at it is, if you're going to drive around in a military-type vehicle that was based off of a WWII German "Jeep" then it shouldn't be that big of a shock to hear stupid comments about Nazis or Hitler. It should be even less of a shock if your car is painted camo (or OD green like mine). Of course these are ignorant comments made by folks who need to bolster their low self esteem, but we do live in a country that advocates free speech and all.

In my experience I've had at least 100 positive comments for every one negative. And you hit the nail on the head when you say it's better to just ignore these comments. Folks like that are just not worth giving a second thought to.
alex77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

today at the bank someone told me is that a boat or a car
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:
. . . And you hit the nail on the head when you say it's better to just ignore these comments.

Well, it may be smarter, more evolved, etc., but not as much fun as returning a nice sarcastic quip. Twisted Evil
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Fun 181 wrote:
. . . And you hit the nail on the head when you say it's better to just ignore these comments.

Well, it may be smarter, more evolved, etc., but not as much fun as returning a nice sarcastic quip. Twisted Evil

Just look at them stupidly and say "Das verstehe ich nicht"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritusx wrote:
Captain Spalding wrote:
Fun 181 wrote:

Just look at them stupidly and say "Das verstehe ich nicht"

..or you could make the guy your buddy by blaring a Dixie horn, hollering a rebel yell, then turning up your radio,, cued to any Lynyrd Skynyrd song of your choosing. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:
yellow73kubel wrote:
greg mgm wrote:

We all know that the Thing was originally built as a military/civil service vehicle which evolved from the WWII German Kubelwagen, and looks very similar to it's predecessor. So when the guy in the Ford made a comment about swastikas he got the right war, and almost the right car, but clearly that was just a stupid thing to say.

The way I look at it is, if you're going to drive around in a military-type vehicle that was based off of a WWII German "Jeep" then it shouldn't be that big of a shock to hear stupid comments about Nazis or Hitler. It should be even less of a shock if your car is painted camo (or OD green like mine). Of course these are ignorant comments made by folks who need to bolster their low self esteem, but we do live in a country that advocates free speech and all.

In my experience I've had at least 100 positive comments for every one negative. And you hit the nail on the head when you say it's better to just ignore these comments. Folks like that are just not worth giving a second thought to.

Agreed... but then again, if my car was equipped with the optional rifle mounts, I may think otherwise.

Personally, I don't have people yelling Nazi/German/Jeep/Military comments at me. Probably because MY CAR IS BRIGHT ORANGE! Nothing says call in an air strike like a bright orange target to shoot at!

1973 Orange VW Thing, "Otto".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doc*181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg mgm wrote:

I would put on my blond wig and would start singing...

Link

It makes no sense but so would be that nazi remark. Very Happy
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:

You are very correct. I understand and treasure the Thing's military background, which is why I put so much effort into replicating the NATO pattern. However, I do take issue with the guy insulting my patriotism... I accept history as it is, but will stay far away from supporting the Nazi ideals.

Ironically, a camo Thing here in the South earns far more redneck points than Nazi quips.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow73kubel wrote:
Ironically, a camo Thing here in the South earns far more redneck points than Nazi quips.

Camo? What pattern did you go with? I know there's not a shred of authenticity to it, but I've always favored Flecktarn. How does a camo paint job square with your forum name?
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or "My paw (or grampaw as case may be) took this here right out from underneath their noses, been in the family since 44..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
yellow73kubel wrote:

Camo? What pattern did you go with? I know there's not a shred of authenticity to it, but I've always favored Flecktarn. How does a camo paint job square with your forum name?

Well, it was yellow when I got it. And.. it will be restored to L11E eventually.

I tried to get it as close as I possibly could to the "Bundeswehr 181 Fleckenplan" found here: http://webspace.webring.com/people/uv/vwtyp181/g-camo.htm. The colors are a bit off because no civilian shop has access to the mixing formula or toxic paints.. I'll put some pictures in the gallery some time soon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: