Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing Lever Shaft Kit Installation
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bus_Ghia_Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Swing Lever Shaft Kit Installation Reply with quote

Hello folks, I have a bad swing lever shaft/bushings in my '78 Westy. The steering is terrible with the steering wheel going back and forth while driving. In all my years in my Buses I've never had this problem but I have had just about every other front suspension problem. Originally I thought I had a bad steering damper and I replaced it with one from a previous Bus which I replaced the damper on it back then. The old damper removed was bad, but the good replacement damper had no effect on the bad steering. Obviously a look at swing lever shaft showed a lot of slop in the shaft.

Having correctly identified the problem I expidite ordered a swing lever shaft kit from Bus Depot. The only brand they have is Meyle/German. I was reading some posts that some of these kits when installed still have some play or slop in the shaft. Another brand out there is FEBI/Bilstien from Bus Boys. By reading the posts I'm a little confused as to which is the better brand, maybe someone can comment as to their preference and why.

Also, I've never installed one of these kits and I see that Bus Boys offers an installation tool for I guess removing and installing the bushings for rental. My Bentley manual shows some kind of sliding hammer special tool to remove the bushings. On the Type2.com site I see two methods of bushing removal not using any special tool and it seems kind of simple to do. Any advice out there from someone that has done this? I want to get it right the first time. I haven't looked at my Haynes manual yet but will do so. Thanks.

Thanks for your replies. An update on my repair attempt to remove the two shaft bushings has not been fruitful. Having removed the swing arm and shaft I tried hammering the lower bushing up using a 20mm socket from below and the bushing didn't move at all. I also tried a C-clamp with the 20mm socket with the same result. I dont think washers and a threaded rod is going to work either. These bushings appear to be rusted together to the tube hole. I'm thinking I may have to drop the front beam making it easier to work on it. I'm thinking of hacksawing slots vertically through both bushings, two slots on each bushing all the way or nearly through the bushing wall. Then I should be able to pound the bushing pieces off with a hammer and punch rod or I could heat up the bushing pieces with a welding torch and they should just drop out. Don't really want to drop the front beam though, its much extra work. Any other ideas? I'm thinking of making that hammering punch out of the old shaft as shown in one of the replies first and trying that to remove the upper bushing that way. I think its worth a shot before dropping the beam.

Last edited by Bus_Ghia_Dude on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it like this and it was easy...

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=3164
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until SGKent sees your topic and directs you to his topic.
fatwood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Lever Shaft Kit Installation Reply with quote

Bus_Ghia_Dude wrote:

Having correctly identified the problem I expidite ordered a swing lever shaft kit from Bus Depot. The only brand they have is Meyle/German. I was reading some posts that some of these kits when installed still have some play or slop in the shaft. Another brand out there is FEBI/Bilstien from Bus Boys. By reading the posts I'm a little confused as to which is the better brand, maybe someone can comment as to their preference and why.

Also, I've never installed one of these kits and I see that Bus Boys offers an installation tool for I guess removing and installing the bushings for rental. My Bentley manual shows some kind of sliding hammer special tool to remove the bushings. On the Type2.com site I see two methods of bushing removal not using any special tool and it seems kind of simple to do. Any advice out there from someone that has done this? I want to get it right the first time. I haven't looked at my Haynes manual yet but will do so. Thanks.

I ordered my kit from Bus Depot and it was Febi. It was only a couple of months ago. Maybe they changed brands?

As for the tooling, I made my own using all=thread, nuts, some large and thick washers and a socket that was just larger than the ID of the buhings. If you search, you will find plenty of threads on this and a few of them have pics of home made tools. As I understand it, there is a long wait for the rental tool from Bus Boys. I have no direct experience with it, just hear-say.

My steering was reallybad as well and after new pin and bushing it is night and day difference. I can even fell confident taking one hand off the wheel now. Before it was total death grip.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wait until SGKent sees your topic and directs you to his topic.

naaah. I'm done with that one. Steering is at 5/8" lash so that is Bentley spec. I might be game to try tighter bushings if NOS OG kits came up but what we have is fine now.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
naaah. I'm done with that one.

I thought the OP was asking about brands and recommendations frome someone who might know.
Bus_Ghia_Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Swing Lever Shaft Kit Installation Reply with quote

I've updated my original post.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is about all I used. You won't get it with a hammer unless you have the special tool that sits inside the bushings and a slap hammer that goes through it which would be rare because they are no longer available through Baum tools.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus_Ghia_Dude, did you grind the end of your socket flat? The chamfer on a socket will just force the bushing out tighter in the bore. A nice crisp flat edge won't do that. Also just 1 saw cut might relieve outward tension even if the cut doesn't go to the O.D. It did on mine. And a threaded rod produces much more force than a C clamp. Be sure and remove the zerk. Wink
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made these out of 4140, one for a BFH the other for air hammer, either works for removal and install.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bus_Ghia_Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Swing Lever Shaft Kit Installation Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Regarding the 20mm socket I did not grind the surface flat but I was thinking of doing it because the edge on the socket is radiused and very smooth. I'll try to do that if my idea of cutting slots in the bushings doesn't work. Slotting the bushings and then heating the bushings with a welding torch should do it. I may have to burn the bushings out with the torch if necessary. I'm from the Midwest ( Rust Belt ) and things rust together out here, for example shock absorber bushings on a shaft, I always have to heat them up to get them off. What is the zerk that one reply was saying? That air hammer tool looks really slick I'll bet it works great too.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a grease fitting for lubing the bushings, you need to remove it prior to removal of bushings the threads can interfere with bushing removal and install.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen one of those bushings rust, You need a piece of all thread and some big washers. I lock two nuts on the end of the all thread and use them to keep the all thread from spinning. Then use the socket at the top to pull them down into the big socket on the bottom.

The tool for the hammer / air hammer works because it keeps the bushing from deforming. If you try that with a plain drift it will push the bushing out and possible damage the inside bore. Pull them down with a piece of all thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: