Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

road trip
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: road trip Reply with quote

Friday afternoon we leave on our epic adventure from Toronto to St. Augustine Fl. to Orlando. Our boys are 6 and 8 years old and we figure its the perfect age to do Disneyland. So we're driving our 2.5 SUby '85 westy and will be staying at the campground right in Disneland - Camp Wilderness (or something like that).
This is a "check out" family trip to see if we can all survive a week together in the camper. I think it'll be great!
Probably the last trip for us in "Moose" however, I've got my eyes set on a diesel van from Germany that'll be a perfect candidate for a high top and a custom interior and the qualifiers of Libby's Law are coming into play.
Anyone else going to Disneyland?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZimZam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe travels. Two days down, and two for the return. Your kids should do alright. Don't forget to pack the duct tape and NyQuil in case they do get out of hand. Very Happy

"Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
- Steve McQueen
"It's just metal, when rusted and dented , anything you will do will be better. Stop being afraid. What they (VW) did many year ago is not better then what you will do now." -Ben
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good bless you and godnight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: road trip Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:

Probably the last trip for us in "Moose" however...

Name the next one Squirrel, then when you're old recollecting your years traveling in a vanagon you can say "Moose and Squirrel were good to us..."

What is libby's law exactly?

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a wonderful adventure. I wish I was in your shoes. Best of luck to you. Could you get a photo in the park when you get there? I'm curious about how "grown in" the foliage is--plus post card value! wish you were here! todd
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: road trip Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
J Charlton wrote:

Probably the last trip for us in "Moose" however...

Name the next one Squirrel, then when you're old recollecting your years traveling in a vanagon you can say "Moose and Squirrel were good to us..."

What is libby's law exactly?

Libbys law is for doctors, saying they can only work a certain amount of time before it becomes unsafe for the patients. The sambanistas use to mean that they can only have so many vehicles or spend so much time on them.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Walt Disney World.. and Fort Wilderness. a very good time, campground and value
Disneyland is in California, and Florida is a long route there. Wink

you get the benefit of staying in a WDW resort, which means free internal transportation (take the boat from the campgrond docks to the Magik Kingdom) and Extra Magic Hours (longer park hours only for resort guests)

No WAY I'd do it in 2days down w/ kids and etc.. not from Toronto.
we took our 80 the 1st time from Syracuse and stopped 3nights. and was a push of a drive enough.

now on our upcoming Eastcoast Sunshine Skyway VW Treffen we're taking in 200mi of rural coastal byways a day. (check my treffen link @ the bottom)

PM me if you want my address, I'm in Syracuse, NY just off I-81 if you need any mechanical or just a VW friendly stop travelling thru. pending you're passing thru our area, we're ~5hrs from Toronto.

Dan Stevens
VW Club of Central NY
www.vwccny.com

ZimZam wrote:
Safe travels. Two days down, and two for the return. Your kids should do alright. Don't forget to pack the duct tape and NyQuil in case they do get out of hand. Very Happy

vanagonagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland...meh

go to mexico!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean?! Syracuse is just across the Lake Ontario.! So close yet so far!

Happy Holidays and am (hopefully) looking forward to getting my hands on an 84 Country Home with TD and extra oil cooler Laughing

Last edited by DAIZEE on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have snow tire? Those Americans got all the snow this year, good for them Smile

Have a good trip, 2.5L ---> diesel??? Smile My god, you would have to pay me big money.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: 2.5 Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Do you have snow tire? Those Americans got all the snow this year, good for them :-)

Have a good trip, 2.5L ---> diesel??? :-) My god, you would have to pay me big money.

Ben

No snows - I think we'll be OK - the weather looks Ok for next week. Re 2.5 ----> diesel - well, its a maybe - the 2.5 camper is great, love to drive it - has a great Truckfridge, external oil cooler, lots of good electronics .... I'd love it if I put a high top on it - but as it is, as a westy. its worth more on the market than I would have to spend to replace it with a good non-westy with a clapped out engine, put a 2.5 or diesel into it, a 5 speed tranny, a hightop on it, nice custom interior ..... you get the drift. Fun project but I'm running out of parking spaces (and beginning to get spousal "comments". As I said - Libby's Law at work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J,
This is really good info on the camping at DisneyWorld. I'll second the request to take some pictures and post your opinions when you get back. Thanks and have a great trip.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
J,
This is really good info on the camping at DisneyWorld. I'll second the request to take some pictures and post your opinions when you get back. Thanks and have a great trip.

While there's alot of good forums & sites for WDW planning. I've found the DISBOARDs most useful, friendly, and informative the DISBOARDS CAMPING FORUM
has a rappor that feels very similiar to here in the vanagon forum.

there are 700+ campsites, but only 2 loops for the tent/popups that are also the most economical, and still have electric. the 1500 & 2000 loop. 1500 has less site but is closer to the pool and the night time outdoor movie and action for the kids,
2000 loop is on the quieter side and internal bus transportation is plentiful & easy to jump anywhere in the campground.
if you have pets then you'll have to be in the 1600,1700or1800 loops and are a slight upcharge from the cheaper tent loops.

also you can see the Fireworks from the Magic Kingdom sitting in a lounge chair at the campground marina & beach as well as the Electric water pagent pass on by.
to request 1500 over 2000 loop you should contact the rsvp desk within the last 2 weeks of your visit. you still may be able to do that now before your departure this friday.. err tomorrow..

most important have fun, it's what VWs & Roadtrips are all about..

Ohh and you'll likely make a stop @ South of the Border.. it's inevitible as if you've never seen the sign before, you'll know when you get there. Wink

I-95 can be a droning hours of concrete expansion joints. that's a main reason we're taking our time & the coastal byways for our upcoming trip this april.

and yes report back here with a trip report and pics..

Dan in NY
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: