Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restore A Thing Hard Top
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfywho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Restore A Thing Hard Top Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

How does one go about restoring a Thing VWOA hard top? The fiberglass seems pretty decent, but the paint is wearing off. Is there a special kind of paint that would need to be used? Thanks!

Scott
Bugshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pic on your name looks like the Thing from Utah. There is no speical paint on the top. Any auto paint will work. You can sand it smooth for a nice finish. Or use gravel guard to texture it then paint it for a factory look. They make a nice light grey splater paint that looks good on the inside also.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to me owning Herr Kubelmann a huge wind blown tree fell across his hard top. This shattered the rear glass, destroyed the driver's rear corner and created other cracks. This big old dead tree also tweaked the roll cage and driver's rear side curtain. The good news is fiberglass is very happy to be rebuilt. After many hours or reconstruction, I restored the hardtop. I want to refinish the hardtop to match the color but use a rhinoliner type paint to add strength.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Restore A Thing Hard Top Reply with quote

Caveat: I've never seen a hard top up close. That said, it would surprise me greatly if the original finish of the top wasn't gel coat. That's what's used on fiberglass boat hulls. A catalyzed resin, it's much more durable than paint. Well worth the effort of the extra learning curve IMHO.
Bugshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have a gel coat finish. The few I worked on in the body shop were painted some time some where. after 30 + years in the sun and weather the gel coat will be broken down and chalky when you rub it. Redoing the gel coat is not to hard but could be more money than paint. Line X comes in different colors that would look good. And be super strong and long lasting but $$$$
wolfywho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! This helpful. Do you know of anyone that has created a photographic step-by-step of their work on restoring a a hard top?

BugShift:
You are correct. I purchased the Thing you are referring to from a guy in Utah. Good eye! There are pictures in my gallery of it too. A couple from my trip out to get it as well, with it on a trailer behind my Suburban. What a trip! An experience I won't forget.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Restore A Thing Hard Top Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Caveat: I've never seen a hard top up close. That said, it would surprise me greatly if the original finish of the top wasn't gel coat. That's what's used on fiberglass boat hulls. A catalyzed resin, it's much more durable than paint. Well worth the effort of the extra learning curve IMHO.

That's exactly what it is. There are epoxy based paints out there (check boat supply houses) to do this.
I re-did the interior paint on mine as it was flaking off and i used rustoleum and brushed it on. It turned out real nice.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wolfywho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks crofty. Looks great! How many hold-down points are there for holding a hard top to the body? 2 center posts, 2 latches on the windshield?, and then it looks like I see a bolt near the back corner in your picture. Is that all there is? Does anyone have any pics of how hard tops attach? Thank you!

Scott
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfywho wrote:
Thanks crofty. Looks great! How many hold-down points are there for holding a hard top to the body? 2 center posts, 2 latches on the windshield?, and then it looks like I see a bolt near the back corner in your picture. Is that all there is? Does anyone have any pics of how hard tops attach? Thank you!

Scott

7 brackets in the rear- if I remember , right.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wolfywho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks everyone! I appreciate your input.

Here is an image of the front left bracket of a hard top. I'm guessing the rusty metal piece goes all the way across the front to the passenger side. Looks like the fiber glass has been cut out around that bracket too. I've never seen a hard top up close, so not sure what it is supposed to look like. The front passenger side bracket looks the same. Looks pretty rusty. Is it worth the time to fix? I think I see some extra fiberglass resin (yellowy lookin'). Maybe this has been fixed before.

kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This web site offers MArine Epoxy paint for $35 a gallon adn it comes in lots of color. I was hoping the Ron Domeck from Kentucky would chime in on this topic as it is one of his areas of expertise.

http://www.njmarinepaint.com/marine-paint.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it been repaired before. The yellow ish stuff is resin. it has been applied over non sanded paint. So it should be redone. The last one I restore for a guy you couldnt see the steel behind the latch. it was sanded fiberglass. alot of times the tops were abused and they get tons of damage. There is a top for sale with a sun roof in the classifieds it shows a pic of it upside down and you can see all the mounts.
wolfywho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Bugshift. I did see that hard top you mentioned in the classifieds, after I posed my question. It was 7 mounts in the rear, indeed. The guy selling the one I posted is the same guy selling that one in the classifieds. He has two. Whereabouts are you in Utah?
Bugshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogden Im about 50 miles north of Salt Lake city. I have seen your thing in a few car shows I will dig out the pics and post them. I wanted to buy it but the guy wanted a bit more than I had.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the metal in your pic is correct but it orginally had a layer of fiberglass over it. The latches were held on with screws the same as on the header bow of a soft top. Outer repair- small cracks can be repaired with resin. If you get into larger cracks or holes we have found a product called Vette Adhesive works great. Most autobody stores will have this. You can use stripper on the top but it MUST BE MADE FOR FIBERGLASS. What I see in the picture I would start with grinding the metal clean then resin with a cloth mat for strenth or the vette adhesive. Any automotive primers/paint can be used. Fiberglass is easier for the DIY than metal because there is no welding warping done wrong stuff. IF something is on wrong you grind off and do over. You can get started with a simple fiberglass kit from Walmart. Bed liner kits will work and can be installed with a small roller with good results. Fiberglas works the same on Corvettes, truck toppers, boats, RV's.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The product I am talking about is made by Evercoat called Vette Panel Adhesive/filler.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Ron. What is your experience with Epoxy based paint to coat a Thing hardtop?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked as an autobody painter for the last 44 years in new car dealerships and am a Master PPG paint tech so all my painting has been with products for the auto industry. Since I have not used eboxy's to any extent I can not give you a yes or no on this one
wolfywho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you posts, Ron. I appreciate it!

Regards,
Scott
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fiberglassics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11149#p11149

Try poking around in there for tips and brands.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: